What's new

Is Derrick Favors Dead?

I've had my lower back act up every once in a while. Sometimes it takes a couple months to get right again. It's probably what he going through. It will go away at some point. I guess we have to hope it doesn't happen too often. I found rest and physical therapy to work pretty good. Screw surgery. That's not what we want for him I don't think. Seems like that's what sent Dwight Howard' career down the drain. It didn't really work out for him. He hasn't been the same since.

I think it's something where they might need to go the San Antonio route and give him ample rest. Ya, he's young, but it's a new era. People think differently. Try preserving him before it becomes a real issue. I'd be doing it with all my players. The NBA schedule is just too hard on the body. It needs to be changed.

NBA has had 80 or more games (not counting strike-shortened seasons) since the 60's. It's just fine. The league is less physical than it ever has been. What needs to happen is teams have to pony up money to get better subs. If Utah is worried about Derrick, reduce his minutes to 30/per and have a decent backup at the 4 (and 5). They haven't tried to do that until this season. He's played way too many minutes at the 5.

The reason players are grousing about the schedules is that stars want to play 40 mins, and have nights off in between, Better stats = more money. More minutes = less time for backups who would then be paid considerably less.

NBA has had 80 or more games (not counting strike-shortened seasons) since the 60's. It's just fine. The league is less physical than it ever has been. What needs to happen is teams have to pony up money to get better subs. If Utah is worried about Derrick, reduce his minutes to 30/per and have a decent backup at the 4 (and 5). They haven't tried to do that until this season. He's played way too many minutes at the 5.

The reason players are grousing about the schedules is that stars want to play 40 mins, and have nights off in between, Better stats = more money. More minutes = less time for backups who would then be paid considerably less.
Let's think this through. Your solution is that we need to pay more money to get better backups? On an NBA wide scale who do we pay this money to other than the current backups? Does the NBA product become better because the lower tier players are making more money and every team is over the Luxury Tax? Or do you believe that there is some population of great potential backup players who are not currently in the NBA because the teams aren't offering them enough money? I think there might be a small group of players in this category (Tomic?) but almost all of the most talented players in the world are already in the NBA. Every other league takes the scraps.

Let's think this through. Your solution is that we need to pay more money to get better backups? On an NBA wide scale who do we pay this money to other than the current backups? Does the NBA product become better because the lower tier players are making more money and every team is over the Luxury Tax? Or do you believe that there is some population of great potential backup players who are not currently in the NBA because the teams aren't offering them enough money? I think there might be a small group of players in this category (Tomic?) but almost all of the most talented players in the world are already in the NBA. Every other league takes the scraps.

I don't care what other teams do. Let the penny pinchers wear out their players and deal with injuries by playing them 38-40/per. Front court starters should get around 30/per. Maybe you go a bit more for your SF. But Hayward's play has dropped off the last couple of years. Last season he really looked worn out and hurt. Could he also benefit by playing less? Or not being asked to run for miles on every offensive play, especially as the Jazz swing it around aimlessly like a youth basketball team? Only Kawhi averages 30+ for SA. Couple of seasons ago, NO ONE averaged more than 30. Jazz are 28th in payroll for the 2nd consecutive year. DL had money to build a better bench, Would fewer minutes have resulted in fewer injuries? Not sure. But we sure have been bitten by them the last two years.

And my point about Favors is that he has been asked to be the backup 5, or starting 5 depending on what you considered Kanter. He's banged against a lot of the bigger players for years. Is it that contact that has accumulated and resulted in these back problems? Have to worry going forward. And without Derrick having his back (pun intended), Gobert has looked very human. Not hard to take Rudy out of the play when Derrick isn't in the game with him. Miami has the same problem with Hassan, although Whiteside is actually an asset offensively, too, unlike "Hands of Stone" Gobert.

Agreed. San Antonio is a great example of a team that really uses it's bench well.

Additionally, some of the bench players wouldn't look so bad if they played more than 8 minutes a night.

Favors lost in the Twilight Zone tbh

tumblr_mpeh5ldUjn1r68d1so1_500.gif

I don't understand why the Jazz are so secretive about Favors. The doctors must've known that his condition was more serious than first reported. We had thought at first that he would miss only one or two games. There's got to be more to this than what they're telling us.

I don't understand why the Jazz are so secretive about Favors. The doctors must've known that his condition was more serious than first reported. We had thought at first that he would miss only one or two games. There's got to be more to this than what they're telling us.

Several times people have explained what back spasms are and how serious they can be and a few here have had them and been affected by them for months and months.

I don't think there's some big mystery. His back hurts. It's been hurting for a while. Every once in a while it seems like it's better but when he puts a little stress on it it gets sore again and he doesn't play out of an abundance of caution.

See you after the ASB Favors. Rest up!

Several times people have explained what back spasms are and how serious they can be and a few here have had them and been affected by them for months and months.

I don't think there's some big mystery. His back hurts. It's been hurting for a while. Every once in a while it seems like it's better but when he puts a little stress on it it gets sore again and he doesn't play out of an abundance of caution.

Tl;dr : he is dead.

Twice in my life, I've had a herniated disk. The first time it took a year before I was healed, and the second time, even longer -- but of course I didn't have the level of treatment and care that Favors is getting. If it's not a herniated disk, it certainly is a serious injury and probably does have long term consequences. After my first injury when I was 30, I couldn't jump like I had been able, but I still had the same speed and quickness, and could do just about everything else, except sometimes my back would act up. Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

Twice in my life, I've had a herniated disk. The first time it took a year before I was healed, and the second time, even longer -- but of course I didn't have the level of treatment and care that Favors is getting. If it's not a herniated disk, it certainly is a serious injury and probably does have long term consequences. After my first injury when I was 30, I couldn't jump like I had been able, but I still had the same speed and quickness, and could do just about everything else, except sometimes my back would act up. Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

I injured my back playing in high school. Took 8 months to even run without pain. Went from dunking in games to not dunking at all. Back injuries suck.