What's new

Is Favors in the long-term plans at this point?

David Stern

Props to D-Faves for absolutely balling out since Gobert went down, he's helped immensely. I know the board majority felt that he needed to be traded before Rudy's injury, I'm wondering with his play of late if that opinion has changed? How would Favors react to being brought off the bench as the focal point of the offense with Hood? I'm personally of the opinion that staggering Hood/Favors and Mitchell/Rudy with the four of them closing games is the best thing for this team.

I think I'm definitely the minority but I do think it could work. It's not just cause Gobert is out, Favors is playing much better than he did even when Gobert was playing and on the bench. He is a lot healthier and more active. To me the biggest issue is not Favors/Gobert together but it's Rubio/Favors/Gobert together.

I think I'm definitely the minority but I do think it could work. It's not just cause Gobert is out, Favors is playing much better than he did even when Gobert was playing and on the bench. He is a lot healthier and more active. To me the biggest issue is not Favors/Gobert together but it's Rubio/Favors/Gobert together.
The only problem with this is Gobert is the one doing the rolling when in, which marginalizes Favors Role in the offense.

If anything, Favors should be starting with Gobert backing him up off the bench. Gobert is so overrated it's sick.

How much time has a healthy Favors and Gobert been able to play together as starters since Gobert’s rise?

Favors has been injured a majority of the time.

Let their chemistry build together and then we will see.

Gobert and Favors were the new next twin towers until Favors was injured.

Let Rubio, Favors, and Gobert play together healthy for a few months. Rubio is still trying to figure out how to use the tools around him and it’s obvious that Rubio hasn’t clicked as well with Gobert on offense yet. I can’t wait to see Rubio hit Favors during a pick and roll when Gobert is setting the screen. This hasn’t consistently happened yet.

Let Rubio, Favors, and Gobert play together healthy for a few months. Rubio is still trying to figure out how to use the tools around him and it’s obvious that Rubio hasn’t clicked as well with Gobert on offense yet. I can’t wait to see Rubio hit Favors during a pick and roll when Gobert is setting the screen. This hasn’t consistently happened yet.
And it won't. Gobert would run into 3 opponents inside since Rubio isn't much of a threat. You let him shoot all day. He's not going to kill you. Opponents just need to cover Mitchell and Ingles and crowd the paint.

As well as Favors is playing, just wait until Gobert returns. The offense will grind to a halt again if Favs is the PF. The only way to make it work is if Favors plays the backup 5. Favors has to be traded.

I have designed a quadruple pick pnr play that would fix it tomorrow... they both Favors and Gobert don’t have to sit in the paint at the same time.

During this season, there have been multiple players press to fill the scoring role Hayward left. Mitchell, Rubio, and Hood have all taken their turns at chucking without consistency until they have started to settle down recently.

I wish we could go back to the def 3 sec’s where we could park Eaton at half court to spread the floor.

I am not saying it will be miraculous. I am saying that if there is chemistry and patients the consistency will get better and they will improve.

Part of the big reason for Favs success is playing with stretch fours... it isn’t like a big nba secret that stretchfours or big wings that play the four is a huge factor in having a successful offense. If Favs came of the bench I would love to have him. It doesn’t work well together though.

He is playing great and a smart team should make us a great offer for his services.

It all depends on how he plays with Rudy.

When Rudy comes back if Favors is able to still play at this level I think he considers staying. Hes a mellow guy, has a roll on a solid team.
I dont see him playing a bigger roll on a playoff team. If he goes to ATL its just for location.

I do think hes gone, but wouldnt be surprised if he stays. If Rudy comes back and they mesh, then we should offer him a slightly high offer, and make him consider us.

Favors and Gobert do not fit, at least not with Rubio. Both Favors and Gobert suffer when they play with each other, I don't know how many clearer observations I've ever been able to make.

Regardless of how you feel about them as individual players in comparison to one another, what we do know is that Favors is an unrestricted free agent and Gobert is not.

I hope I really don't have to finish the rest of this thought, because it's dead ****ing obvious.

Favors is a Center. Favors wants to play Center. The Jazz offense needs a stretch 4. His hometown team needs a Center.

My guess is he's playing for The Hawks this time next year.

Favors is a Center. Favors wants to play Center. The Jazz offense needs a stretch 4. His hometown team needs a Center.

My guess is he's playing for The Hawks this time next year.

Wait, hasn't he always hated playing centre?

I'm so sick and tired of these pipe dream scenarios where Favors will do this or Favors will do that.

Since the Millsap days, I have been saying Favors should be a center. Instead, he had been so stubborn to prove he is a PF. In today's NBA, he is not a PF. Next to Gobert, he is even less effective as a PF.

We have spent 7+ years investing in Favors only to see him have one strong year, 1 strong playoff game and the run of the last couple weeks. I'm tired of the dance we do where we make excuses for him because he is hurt or is coming back from being hurt. You guys treat him like Blake Griffen who can dominate when healthy. Derrick Favors has never dominated.

His value is pretty high. Trade him while we can.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Here's a question. If Rubio-Favors-Gobert doesn't work and if Rubio-Gobert doesn't work and if Favors-Gobert has worked for 3 years before the introduction of Rubio - why are we so keen to trade Favors, but not Rubio?

Here's a question. If Rubio-Favors-Gobert doesn't work and if Rubio-Gobert doesn't work and if Favors-Gobert has worked for 3 years before the introduction of Rubio - why are we so keen to trade Favors, but not Rubio?

I think because Rubio is less tradeable. I’d be open to that but... just look how good the offense has been with stretch fours... that is where we need to go long term regardless of what we do with Rubio. I’m anxious to see what happen with Rudy and Ricky when Jerebko is the four.

I think because Rubio is less tradeable. I’d be open to that but... just look how good the offense has been with stretch fours... that is where we need to go long term regardless of what we do with Rubio. I’m anxious to see what happen with Rudy and Ricky when Jerebko is the four.
IMO it will help a little but it ultimately won't work. I've laid it out here before, I don't want to repeat myself. The main problem of the Rubio-Favors-Gobert combinations is not the lack of stretch 4. It's the presence of both of Rubio and Gobert. The stretch 4 will alleviate a bit of the pressure on the back end, but Rubio still cannot beat the pnr when paired with Gobert because the bigs will continue to drop off to stop Gobert's roll and won't help with Rubio because the guard will always go under and this won't create the situation for the big to help.

We have no idea what either Favors or Gobert are capable of on offence. Because our system is based largely on wings and 3s. Favors and Gobert are mostly getting touches out past the top of the key and way outside scoring range. They are probably the 3rd option in the offence.

IMO it will help a little but it ultimately won't work. I've laid it out here before, I don't want to repeat myself. The main problem of the Rubio-Favors-Gobert combinations is not the lack of stretch 4. It's the presence of both of Rubio and Gobert. The stretch 4 will alleviate a bit of the pressure on the back end, but Rubio still cannot beat the pnr when paired with Gobert because the bigs will continue to drop off to stop Gobert's roll and won't help with Rubio because the guard will always go under and this won't create the situation for the big to help.

We should trade Rubio and favs for Griffin then :)

I’d like to have a redo on the Ricky trade and I’m not trading favors just to trade him. At very least I’d want expirings and a good second rounder or two. I don’t see a good suitor for Ricky and I think our management thinks we can fix him... I don’t doe.