What's new

Is Quin really a good coach?

Quin is a great X’s and O’s coach. He’s a good coach that players like personally. He doesn’t adjust well at times, and I don’t think he’s a good motivating coach tbh. Quins rotations and adjustments at times aren’t great. Very smart basketball mind, but too rigid in his approach. So yes and no.

Quin stares at the sex machine, a la Clark Griswold at the Christmas lights not turning on, thinking to himself that it can’t be — he checked every bulb.

He has significant weaknesses that haven’t changed. His strategy boils down to finding the weakest matchup.

And he was a **** to Dante

tenor.gif

Who talk about me?

Quin is a great X’s and O’s coach. He’s a good coach that players like personally. He doesn’t adjust well at times, and I don’t think he’s a good motivating coach tbh. Quins rotations and adjustments at times aren’t great. Very smart basketball mind, but too rigid in his approach. So yes and no.

Certainly seems to suck at motivating Donovan... I’m wondering if he has trouble really ripping on his best players when it’s deserved - I know that kind of accountability was always important in those Spurs lockerrooms. There was a moment many years ago when Quin got flaming mad on the court at someone, maybe Trey Burke, maybe the whole squad on the floor... just went apesh^t on the court, eyes bulging and everything - I haven’t seen that since, and nights like last night make me wish he would pull one.

I find his unwillingness to give ever any of the younger players a chance to play in real game minutes and develop their skills incredibly frustrating as well. He comes up with some really cool plays and interesting schemes, but if he can only get the best out of his best player a third of the time, who cares how smart his plans are?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Good coach, yeah.
Great coach, far from it.

Too stubborn and stuck in his ways. Dating back to last year his rotations have been garbage and his refusal to get the young guys, like Oni valuable minutes(even in garbage time), is helping no one.

And the poster above me made a good point. How often does he go to bat for his players when refs make terrible calls? On that point he absolutely refuses to challenge basic bad calls. It's admittedly not the worse trait but frustrating at times nonetheless.

He feels like a floor raiser. Could elevate a bad roster to being decent. That’s what he did with the Jazz at the start.

His coaching traits haven’t carried over very well with having a whole lot more talent available to him.

Definitely think he is a great coach, but messages can get stale. Sometimes a change is needed.

You dont just make a change for the sake of making a change though.

Sadly, a lot of it is organizational as they bend to Donovan in an effort to make him a super-star.

When Hayward was the star in town it felt like everyone gave more effort on D and ball movement. Now it seems like the Jazz have pivoted too far into ISO/Offensive talent.

It's probably the right call, because the team is undoubtedly a higher ceiling with Mitchell/Bogey/Clarkson and how they play, but it has had negative side effects.

He feels like a floor raiser. Could elevate a bad roster to being decent. That’s what he did with the Jazz at the start.

His coaching traits haven’t carried over very well with having a whole lot more talent available to him.
*More offensive talent*

DL has handed him guys like Bogey and Clarkson, two awful defenders who dont pass.

I put blame on Quin for that too. He has given JC the green light in a really weird way he wouldnt give to Burks. He has let Mitchell really devolve defensively.

Soft as charmin! And by extension so is his team. Nobody around to motivate, to light a fire under the “superstars”. I think he’d make a great politician but it takes a little spine to be a “good” coach IMO.

Quin stares at the sex machine, a la Clark Griswold at the Christmas lights not turning on, thinking to himself that it can’t be — he checked every bulb.
I worry his assistants that flipped the right switches all abandoned him the last few years.

I worry his assistants that flipped the right switches all abandoned him the last few years.
It's an interesting point. Igor is a guy he'd been around for a long time. Contrasted with Jensen who was a player development coach when he arrived. I'd be curious of the dynamics, and if someone like Igor could feel more assertive in speaking up, whereas someone like Jensen maybe there's a different apprentice dynamic.

Just thinking out loud here based on very external and superficial factors.

It's an interesting point. Igor is a guy he'd been around for a long time. Contrasted with Jensen who was a player development coach when he arrived. I'd be curious of the dynamics, and if someone like Igor could feel more assertive in speaking up, whereas someone like Jensen maybe there's a different apprentice dynamic.

Just thinking out loud here based on very external and superficial factors.
I think Bryant was the DM whisperer too. Quin brought in guys he’s worked with before... which is common but I wonder if someone new could have been brought into the brain trust.

They also lost the younger looking guy too.

His on/off metrics the one year he had a real role (not tanking time) were amongst the worst in the entire league.
?

He was part of Chicago's normal rotation last season. Calling that "tanking time" seems rather disingenuous.

?

He was part of Chicago's normal rotation last season. Calling that "tanking time" seems rather disingenuous.

He played 500 minutes when the season was already over for the Bulls. A 500 minutes sample size isn't much regardless of what part of the season it was anyways. The year before he played 1400 minutes. He was not NBA level during that season.

My main issue with Quin is the same issues folks have with Coach Bud. He runs his system to get his shots and its based on math and rules etc. It is sound logic... but there is a limit to how far that rigid system will take you and you need to have counter attacks. The counter attacks have not been experimented with enough or just may not be there, so unless you get favorable matchups throughout the playoffs you will get smacked at some point.

The good news is I think we matchup well with a lot of the western conference teams, so I think we are setup well if we are healthy. If DM takes a solid step forward from last year we are in the convo as a contender... that step doesn't look to be there at the moment. There are some things coach could experiment with that might help insulate us from the bad matchups and there may be some useful players he is not using that would pay dividends later. Ultimately we need more wing talent but that upgrade is not obvious and will cost us something.