What's new

Is There a Viable S&T With Chicago?

richgates

With the announcement this morning that Bosh is going to sign with Wade in Miami. It looks like the only players let for Boozer's services would be the Nets and Bulls. Are there any good assets on the Bulls that we could potentially sign and trade for, or does this Miami deal pretty much kill any chance of a sign and trade?

The Bulls have the cap space to sign Boozer outright. If they were to do a S&T it would only be if they wanted to dump some salary to go after another player and the only player on their roster that I see them dumping is Luol Deng.... pass.

I guess until David Lee signs somewhere, Boozer's options are limited. If there are two or more teams that want him and he wants a six year deal, then he could push for a S&T. I just don't know if there are any remaining teams that have any players we could get in return that would be worth it. I will admit my ignorance when it comes to the financial end of these deals.

The Bulls would only want to dump Deng or James Johnson. Neither are the big we need plus Deng has one of the more toxic contracts in the league.

No thanks.

....here is all you need to know: these clowns make WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for what they do....and it's about to STOP! Lockout 2011 HERE WE COME!!!

Here's all you need to know: the reason these clowns make way too much money is because owners and gm's pay them so much money. If someone is willing to pay someone an ungodly amount of money to do something, I'm not going to fault the employee. And looking at these retarded contracts that are being given out this summer it is clear the lockout will be a result of 7-8 poorly run franchises that ruined it for everybody else.

Good thinking by the author of this thread. Indeed with Bosh and Wade going to Bulls, it would appear that Miami is out of running for Booz. Besides, they have Beasley anyway, so I wonder how sincere their interest was in the first place. Why would they give up on a 21 year old 2nd overall pick who is already averaging 15 and 6.5 in just under 30 mins. In fact, he might just be perfect with Bosh now playing C for them. On the other hand, who knows how things will be played out with Miami. Raily can make bold moves. They might trade Beasley for an excellent PG and then sign Booz with remaining CAP space. The way it stands now though, Miami, NY (who just signed Amare and have their own FA David Lee), Clips (have Griffin), are unlikely to sign Booz. Nets might, but they just drafted Favors with 3d overall selection. Perhaps they may view Booz as a perfect mentor for Favors, but it seems a bit of an overkill to spend 3d overall pick for a PF and also get Booz for near MAX deal.

That leaves Bulls as the likeliest destination for Boozer (even if LeBron chooses Chicago, they will have room for Booz). In fact, if Bulls fail to get LeBron (as they did with Amare, Bosh, and Wade), they will pretty much have no choice but do everything possible to get Boozer. That's their biggest need, and they actually gave up some serious assets (former #7 pick Hinrich and 17th overall pick) for absolutely nothing just to clean up CAP room. Imagine after doing all that they get nothing in return. If LeBron chooses NY, NJ, or Cleveland, Bulls will be looking pretty stupid. Hinrich and 17th pick is quite a bit of value to just throw away. So, they will go after Booz and Lee pretty hard. I would say even the MAX offer is not out of the question. Definitely they will not be giving us any assets in a sign and trade. The best we can do is get trade exception. And even then, why would Bulls do us that favor?

I don't see sign and trade here, but I do see Bulls ending up with Boozer when it is all said and done. They only advantage Jazz have is that 6th year we can give Booz, which Bulls can't. With Booz turning 29 soon, this is actually pretty big bargaining chip. If he signs 5 year deal, by the time he has next contract, he is about to turn 34. That severely limits his signing potential, hence 6 year deal would be very important for him now. But do the Jazz want to give him 6 years and pay the guy near 20 mil salary when he is 34-35 years old? Tough decision. Would have been much easier to just extend him 5 years last year, when his value was at all time low and there was no competition from teams like Bulls desperate to get something in return after giving up good assets for nothing to get CAP room.

The Jazz would be dumb to give Boozer a 5 or 6 year contract. The guy has proven he can't stay healthy that is one reason why he is not in the mix with the upper free agents. I like Boozer but there is no way I want to give him a six year deal. I am on the fence whether I even want him back because of his defensive liabilities. If the Jazz were able to get a stud defensive center to play with Booz than i think I would be ok with bringing him back but I still wouldn't give him anything longer then a four year deal. The fifth year would be a team option.

For the record, I'm in the resign-Boozer camp but that's not what this thread is about. The only thing I'd be willing to take back is James Johnson (2nd-year PF who Utah worked out and really liked last year). Got beat out by a 2nd-rnd pick Taj Gibson in the Bulls rotation last year but still has alot of potential and skill. Would be a decent backup to Millsap.

That said, if the Bulls do miss out on Wade/LBJ/Bosh, they wouldn't have any incentive to trade Gibson to us unless they simply want to give Boozer a 6-year and/or max-contract, but with Boozer's options limited they have no reason to do so.

Yick all around.

I want Boozer back but only for 3 years max. He's not dependable and the Jazz haven't made any strides plugging the hole next to him (unless Koufos finally starts progressing from what was a good rookie year). I worry if it's any longer than that, and he's not worth the max anyway.

If the Jazz can just get a TPE and 2nd rounder, I'm cool with that. Assuming the Jazz move to take Beasley with the Harpring TPE.

P.S. The Hawks are ****ing dumb.

Chicago is the worst team to be dealing with unless you like Johnson. Gibson is a another possibility but the Jazz lose leverage is Chicago is vying for Boozer as their only big FA. But if Booze picked Chicago, you take whatever you can get.

Hollinger Tweet sums it perfectly: "If Boozer to Chicago, Jazz would be wise to sign-and-trade for Johnson + big trade exception. Can bank it for '11 draft when AK is off books"

Hollinger Tweet sums it perfectly: "If Boozer to Chicago, Jazz would be wise to sign-and-trade for Johnson + big trade exception. Can bank it for '11 draft when AK is off books"

Hollinger huffs trees.

I'd be fine with that - just want something out of the deal. Is Toronto going to get anything back for Bosh? Also, do you have a link to the Hollinger twitter page?

Having a massive TPE for '11 could be huge for a team willing to use it with the new CBA and teams likely trying to throw salary overboard.

Again, I'm fine with a sign-and-trade getting nothing back but a massive TPE.

Gibson + future 1st about the best Jazz can hope for, dont think KOC wants Deng after drafting Hayward. Bulls will be hesitant to give that though - they are pretty stingy. They ended up losing out on Bosh because of their unwillingness to trade Noah. A nice hustle player, but c'mon...

Lost Bosh because they wouldn't trade Noah? What the **** are you talking about?