What's new

Is this when Ty gets canned?

jope

Ok, this instance happened almost 15 years before i was even born, but i was looking through some jazz history stuff and was curious about this.

in the 74-75 season, scotty robertson led the (new orleans) jazz to a 1-14 (7%) record before being let go. Is this the benchmark that Ty must hit as well before he's in the hot seat? That team's defensive rating was 7.5 pts per 100 possessions better than our current team, and Ty is supposed to be judged on defense this season. This years team has the 4th worst defensive rating in the league.

not only that, but we are also

win% - 30th (obviously)
FGmade - 29th
FG% - 29th
3PTmade - 30th
3PT% - 30th
FT% - 27th
DefReb - 28th
Assists - 29th
TOs - 28th
blks - 21st
fouls - 22nd
ppg - 30th
pt differential - 30th

After Robertson left, the 74-75 team ended up going 22/45 (33%).

It's really tough to say. You would think there would be some point where they would just have to fire him. I am not sure where that point is. I have been on board and I am still on board with keeping him for the tank.

That was before the jazz moved to salt lake though. I don't think any of the coaches have been fired here. Maybe this is part of Lindsey's master plan? Keep Corbin because he will help the tank. Now I would probably fire him in a month or two when we've gone like 3-25. Hopefully we pick up someone useful.

That was before the jazz moved to salt lake though. I don't think any of the coaches have been fired here. Maybe this is part of Lindsey's master plan? Keep Corbin because he will help the tank. Now I would probably fire him in a month or two when we've gone like 3-25. Hopefully we pick up someone useful.
I think Nisalke was fired while in Utah, but definitely before Larry Miller bought the team. No Utah coach has been fired in the Miller era, and I have a feeling none ever will be. I think they should, though. I don't see any chance that Corbin becomes the sort of coach this team needs.

I think Nisalke was fired while in Utah, but definitely before Larry Miller bought the team. No Utah coach has been fired in the Miller era, and I have a feeling none ever will be. I think they should, though. I don't see any chance that Corbin becomes the sort of coach this team needs.

That's what I must have been thinking. Corbin definitely brings the losing side to a coach we need for the "rebuild".

At end of the season or if/when Corbins had enough (during season)- I doubt they let him go until tank job is done

He won't go till the tank is over.

This. Why fire him? Isn't the whole point of this year to get Wiggins/Randle/Parker? Why bring in a better coach that takes you from the worst record to the fourth worst?

I want him gone at seasons end. Too many instances where the coach gets fired mid season, and that team plays inspired and plays well and wins a lot more games.

Also the org. In 74-75 was different then what we know. This org. Doesn't fire coaches, so what are the chances he gets canned in the middle of the season.

This. Why fire him? Isn't the whole point of this year to get Wiggins/Randle/Parker? Why bring in a better coach that takes you from the worst record to the fourth worst?

Because it might hurt the growth and chemistry of our players.

Eh. Burks is nothing more than a bench player. Favors isn't going anywhere. Kanter could get ruined, but I think he tougher than that. The only player I think you could really lose is Hayward, and if doesn't see the long term value of losing this year, then that's ok. He is a very, very good player, but he isn't a franchise changing player. He is a player, that if you overpay, can cost you a title. He is a potential salary cap killing player.

I don't think any of the coaches have been fired here

Believe that Tom Nissalke was fired as a Utah Jazz Head Coach, but that i think was before the Millers took ownership. To me it does not look promising that Ty Corbin is going anywhere no matter how many loses pile up. Expect him back next year for sure.

At end of the season or if/when Corbins had enough (during season)- I doubt they let him go until tank job is done

This. ^^^

The only way I see a change being made in season is if Corbin walks away. I think that DL is handling this tank beautifully. He's using Ty's weaknesses (rotations and over-reliance of veterans) to solidify the tank. I think that he will have complete authority to hire a new coach. The Millers will be loyal to Corbin to a degree - they won't fire him outright. But I don't see any way that DL isn't given the green light to replace the coach with "his guy" once his contract expires.

Exactly. Whether Corbin knows it or not, he HAS to be fired before next season. Players don't like to lose and having reporters constantly in their face asking "why?" is like rubbing salt into an open sore. They are man enough to accept the blame for a while, but as the losses pile up, they must transfer the blame to someone else or lose their own self-esteem and confidence. That means they either start throwing their teammates under the bus or they blame the coach and organization. Firing the coach can heal the team, but its timing is critical; too soon and our tank is in jeopardy, too late and our locker room is poisoned. But if our record remains this dismal for much longer, then it may force Lindsay's hand.

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason Lucas is on the team is to be the sacrificial lamb for the team. Was Tinsley brought back to provide the scapegoat for the early losses (Is Lindsay that Machiavelian?????) or was his poor play merely serendipitous?

I liked this quote from Lucas' post game interview:

"You know, coach is a, he’s a competitor like I am, like we all are. You know, he came in [at halftime], and dug in us, and told us, like, “Look, man. If y’all wanna play, y’all, whoever wanna play, y’all gotta go out there and play hard.” And you know, he, you know, he decided who he wanted to play. And our whole thing, when I went in for the start in, for the third quarter, I pulled the team together. I said, “Look, guys. Let’s go out here and play hard. Let’s go out here and play tough, and go out here and just leave everything on the court.”

“Look, man. If y’all wanna play, y’all, whoever wanna play, y’all gotta go out there and play hard.”
“Look, man. If y’all wanna play, y’all, whoever wanna play, y’all gotta go out there and play hard.”

"You know, coach is a, he’s a competitor like I am, like we all are. You know, he came in [at halftime], and dug in us, and told us, like, “Look, man. If y’all wanna play, y’all, whoever wanna play, y’all gotta go out there and play hard.” And you know, he, you know, he decided who he wanted to play. And our whole thing, when I went in for the start in, for the third quarter, I pulled the team together. I said, “Look, guys. Let’s go out here and play hard. Let’s go out here and play tough, and go out here and just leave everything on the court.”
Wow, Corbin's halftime speech puts Al Pachino's (Any Given Sunday) speech to shame. No wonder our players come out with such passion and fire in the second halves of games...

Surprised nobody has noticed the FO pushing for more Ty support through post games, Harpring announcing, and the media. They've realized they did not do enough early on and have lost the audience to Ty. He'll be fired as the fallboy for front office incompetence in not trading Jefferson two seasons ago.

I'm not a product of the media though.

When the Jazz went full tank mode, I am sure they talked to Ty and gave him some kind of assurance that they wouldn't fire him quickly. If I was Ty, I would get some incriminating photos of DL.