What's new

Its getting closer.......

Looks like some of the guys got together this last week. Is media day on the 25th?

21433996_1736516026359092_9050729130538041344_n.jpg

Thas one tall *** group!

If Gobert can be used as a passer on the elbow, like this writer suggests, then our offense will be fun as hell to watch.

In order to be the passer on the elbow that this guy is theorizing... he is going to have to be enough of a threat for someone to guard him tight. Honestly, if I am guarding Gobert on the high elbow then I consider myself a free safety. Is he really going to put the ball on the ground and drive on me? Nah... Is he going to shoot it? I dare ya...

So, either Gobert learns to dribble in traffic (not something we should have him spending his time learning) or he learns how to shoot... meh. There are more efficient shooters for sure from 10 feet out.

I don't buy the elbow junk.

The offense is going to go through the hands of Rubio. We will see lots of fluid movement, artistic spacing, pick and roll with Gobert lobs galore with Jingles and Hood spreading the floor as high percentage shooters and Exum/Mitchell/Burks slashing into space behind the action. The league is about spacing and moving the ball... but notice that Pachulia wasn't the guy on the elbow for those videos. It was Draymond Green (a threat to shoot, pass, or drive). This offense is all about Rubio's ability to create and manage timing.

In order to be the passer on the elbow that this guy is theorizing... he is going to have to be enough of a threat for someone to guard him tight. Honestly, if I am guarding Gobert on the high elbow then I consider myself a free safety. Is he really going to put the ball on the ground and drive on me? Nah... Is he going to shoot it? I dare ya...

So, either Gobert learns to dribble in traffic (not something we should have him spending his time learning) or he learns how to shoot... meh. There are more efficient shooters for sure from 10 feet out.

The offense is going to go through the hands of Rubio. We will see lots of fluid movement, artistic spacing, pick and roll with Gobert lobs galore with Jingles and Hood spreading the floor as high percentage shooters and Exum/Mitchell/Burks slashing into space behind the action. The league is about spacing and moving the ball... but notice that Pachulia wasn't the guy on the elbow for those videos. It was Draymond Green (a threat to shoot, pass, or drive). This offense is all about Rubio's ability to create and manage timing.

I said 'if'. I don't think it's as stark as you describe it. If Gobert can learn to be a threat with one dribble and two long strides, then he could conceivably unlock a bigger passing component of his game. He will carry a bigger load one way or another.

And **** Pachulia in any/all comparisons.

And nobody has or will say that sets with Gobert at the elbow will be a primary component of the offense. A wrinkle? Maybe.

I said 'if'. I don't think it's as stark as you describe it. If Gobert can learn to be a threat with one dribble and two long strides, then he could conceivably unlock a bigger passing component of his game. He will carry a bigger load one way or another.

And **** Pachulia in any/all comparisons.

Yeah... if... so what. I said IF we opted for that option THEN I would play free safety. It isn't a very effective option using Gobert. Diaw played that role a bit last year. He's such a good passer and he uses his body well that he was able to do it. But he wasn't much of a threat to shoot. His drive was slow motion, but effective when people sagged off of him.

Pachulia doesn't equal Gobert. But Pachulia isn't used in that role for the same reason that we shouldn't. IF we do, THEN it will be less effective.

And nobody has or will say that sets with Gobert at the elbow will be a primary component of the offense. A wrinkle? Maybe.

Why do we want to copy Golden State with different players. The closest thing that way MAY consider doing would be using Favors up there. He can shoot from 15 feet. He can potentially drive. He can see the floor. If you want a wrinkle, consider Favors there instead. Gobert will be lob central in the pick and roll and whoever doesn't cover that will be toast. HIGHLY efficient. If they sag off Rubio he needs to finish or find that sweet honey pot in the corner. The game will be all about Rubio. In Rubio we trust.

Why do we want to copy Golden State with different players. The closest thing that way MAY consider doing would be using Favors up there. He can shoot from 15 feet. He can potentially drive. He can see the floor. If you want a wrinkle, consider Favors there instead. Gobert will be lob central in the pick and roll and whoever doesn't cover that will be toast. HIGHLY efficient. If they sag off Rubio he needs to finish or find that sweet honey pot in the corner. The game will be all about Rubio. In Rubio we trust.

Well GSW stole that action from us (Malone), so....

Don't forget that for Rudy from the elbow is potentially one dribble to a dunk

Don't forget that for Rudy from the elbow is potentially one dribble to a dunk

Yes. One slow, calculated, HIGH, uncoordinated dribble. Favors is the type for the job, not Rudy. Favors lost some weight to act more like a stretch 4. If he added a deeper shot, attacks with a little more speed, then he could play the role if that's what we want as a wrinkle. But Rudy? Come on. Rudy is a great many things, but a triple threat from the elbow just isn't it.

On another note, we are just 4 days from Media day by my count. The next 4 days are busy as my Aunt Judith on my uncle Neddy's special day of the year so Media day is all but here. Neat!

Rudy has already been used many times as a passer from the elbow (and 3 point line). The Jazz initiate a lot of their dho this way, but they also let Rudy make reads to cutters. And I do recall him doing a dribble drive or two for dunks when the defenders ignored him.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app