VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
https://therunnersports.com/2015/07/08/jack-cooley-nbas-best-kept-secret/

Home / NBA / Jack Cooley: The NBA’s Best Kept Secret
Jack Cooley: The NBA’s Best Kept Secret
By Rob Wegley

Updated: July 8, 2015

Think of your favorite player in the NBA. A look at jersey sales would indicate your answer is probably someone like LeBron James, who has the explosive power to dazzle crowds with dunks and wows with athleticism. Or it could be someone like Steph Curry, who has a knack for hitting every shot he takes, and for making defenders look foolish with his ball-handling skills. I’d make a wager that nearly every single NBA fan knows the names of players like James and Curry. They aren’t kept secret, they’re in the spotlight at all times. People expect great things from them.

I’m here to tell you about a different player you can root for, a player who has a work ethic that farmers would envy. It’s easy to cheer for the superstar, but if you want to know a player who the blue-collar man can appreciate look no further than the Utah Jazz’s PF, Jack Cooley.

It’s likely the 24-year-old Cooley isn’t well-known outside of Salt Lake City, South Bend, Indiana, or his hometown of Glenview, Illinois. After all, he did go undrafted in 2013 after a senior season at Notre Dame in which he averaged 13.1 PPG and 10.1 RPG. But if I had to pick a player that I would bet on having a 10-year career of consistency, I would place my bet on Utah’s #45. His rookie year was unspectacular, averaging 1.7 points and 1.6 rebounds per game in 5.4 MPG in 16 games, but you can expect more consistent bench play this year.

Here is who the Jazz currently have under contract in the front court for next season:

Rudy Gobert

Derrick Favors

Trey Lyles

Trevor Booker

Grant Jarrett

Jack Cooley

The front court is a bit crowded, and it is reasonable to think someone in that bottom half (Trevor Booker, Grant Jarrett, Jack Cooley) will not make the final team, but Jack Cooley is indispensable. Outside of starting center Rudy Gobert and starting power forward Derrick Favors, Cooley is the only one who can realistically play both power forward and center. He has the body (6’9, 246 pounds) to bang down low, and his tenacious effort and massive body make him a valuable rebounder and defender. Out of the big men, the Jazz will be getting Lyles playing time, but he can play either power forward or small forward. If Trevor Booker remains on the team, he will be getting his time as well, but he’s undersized (6’8 with a 6’10 wingspan) and is more of a stretch four. In fact, Grant Jarrett, while longer than Booker, is still more of a stretch four. Cooley will be the guy coming off the bench to live in the paint, and he’s the only guy coming off the bench for Utah that fits that mold.

In terms of expectations, it isn’t unreasonable to think that Cooley will receive double-digit minutes this year. Even with Lyles likely commanding near 20 minutes a game, you could see Cooley on the court anywhere between 10-15 minutes per game, and the Jazz will be getting 15 minutes of straight hustle and heart. Just one example can be seen here, and you can expect many more instances where Cooley simply outworks the 5 guys on the other team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSGzy7DuTq8

Maybe Jack Cooley doesn’t have the athleticism of LeBron James, and maybe he doesn’t have the shooting touch of Steph Curry, but get to know the name Jack Cooley. Over the next few years you’ll start to hear it more often than you think.

That Cooley block and Rudy salute was one of my favorite moments last year.

Rudy's look on his face is hilarious.

Yep. Was thinking the exact same thing. Didn't realize Harris hit the deck as hard as he did until I just went and watched it again.

The thing this writer doesnt know is that we are rumored to be signing Pleiss. Cooley doesn't get minutes with Pleiss and would potentially bet cut.

if Grant's shoulder is anything like Kanter's, he won't be ready by training camp. The year Enes had his shoulder injury, he did it in April and was barely cleared for contact a few days before camp. Cooley has a shot. The NBA's a cruel game, where the injury to one player can make a career for another. Tibor could show up to camp and be another soft euro big. What if Booker's gone? What if Lyles isn't ready?

Love hearing about the hardwork/dedication of fringe NBA players such as Cooley, but if we enter the season with him as our primary backup C, I'd say it's safe to assume that we will be going thru at least 1 more developmental season. I will be rooting for him to find a place in this league, but personally, I hope it is on another roster/as our 5th big. Every team needs that glue-guy/12th man, but we appear to have plenty of those caliber players. Now is the time to focus on upgrading our role-players/acquiring impact starters. Pleiss should be an acceptable 4th big, but i still hope we aim our sights higher than an unproven, over-seas player as this roster clearly has the talent to take that next step in this rebuilding process. Best of luck to Cooley, better of luck to us.

The writer clearly has some sort of a personal connection to Cooley. I admire JC for what he has accomplished and the way he plays, but if he is ever the star of this team then we are in real trouble.

I'm a Cooley fan

I have no idea about this Pleiss guy. Sounds euro. Probably is soft. Or will take us on a wild goose chase like Tomic.

I'd be down Rollin with Cooley, Booker, and Lyles as backups.

although I just googled him and cbs says we're signing him today (as of 46 mins ago). So I guess Cooley is out. Hopefully Pleiss doesn't suck

Cooley can really rebound, but he just cant play defense all that well without fouling. He rotates late and looks lost, almost like Kanter. He definitely puts way more effort than Kanter, but he still lacks some defensive instincts, fundamentals, and length to play defense as a center.

Pleiss just way more potential as an all-around player. Probably wont rebound as well or be as fun to watch, but will overall make the team better.

although I just googled him and cbs says we're signing him today (as of 46 mins ago). So I guess Cooley is out. Hopefully Pleiss doesn't suck

I'd keep both. I figured Cooley was gone, but I hope the Jazz keep him as the 5th/6th big. His attitude, hustle and physicality are good qualities to have.

The way I see it. . .

PG: Exum, Burke and Neto
SG: Hood, Burks and Millsap
SF: Hayward and Jingles (with Hood getting minutes here also)
PF: Favors, Booker and Lyles
C: Gobert and Pleiss

That's 13 spots. There will be a battle for one more guard/wing spot between Cotton, Hanlan, Johnson, Saunders and/or a player brought in by trade or free agency. And then one more big spot will be decided between Jarrett, Cooley and Motum. As of right now, based on what they did last year and how guys competing with them have struggled, I'd say that Cotton and Cooley have the advantage.

I love that Cooley is competitive and excited to go head to head against Towns and Okafor here in SL. Don't think he has the size or skill set to compete with those guys, but I like the desire.

On a serious note I think Cooley brings something that's needed during the playoffs. A guy that can come in for a couple of minutes and bang, Rebound, play solid defense, and possibly make an energy play.