What's new

Game Thread Jan 13, 2024 07:30PM MT: Jazz vs. Lakers

Added to Calendar: 01-13-24

I have to say it… we are now 11-0 when THT doesn’t play.
Let’s not confuse causation with correlation. Him not being on the floor correlates with wins, but him on the bench getting DNPs is what causes the wins. We couldn’t just simply trade him and expect the same results. Without him available to get DNPs, we may start losing again.

Exton more consistent, Clarkson has bigger games
This.
But to qualify that a bit, Clarkson gets more opportunity (minutes) to have bigger games.

If sexton is playing at the top of his game he might get 30 minutes.
Clarkson will get 38 or something. Clarkson just playing mediocre will get over 30 minutes.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
300px-T90SExplode.gif

I love the fact that we can win in so many ways.
  • This time our scheme and gameplan wasnt the biggest differencemaker, but instead it seemed to shoot us in the foot. The whole "double AD whenever he is here or there" only resulted in DLo getting hot and the bad shooting Lakers turned into prime Warriors with all the practice shots we gave them. After we realized that AD can pass the ball and stopped fooling with him, we started to chip away the lead and turn the game around. Too bad DLo was already on and could not be turned off.
  • Lauri, Sexton, JOHN COLLINS (?!?) and 2nd half Keyonte combined to win this game. Collins was actually fantastic in this game all around (apart from fouling a lot), and even pretty much matched AD for rebounds per minute.
  • Tech, Kessler and KO all had uncharracteristically poor games and JC didnt find his rhythm in the 2nd half, but those things didnt really tank the game as our starters were able to turn it on once the initial defensive scheme got cancelled.
  • Hardy went WILD with the closing lineup as I'm not sure I've even seen us throw out Key, JC, Sexton, Collins and Lauri combo in any game before. That lead to some overdribbling and Lauri didnt really get the ball much, but we scored 32 in Q4 and Key and Sexton were both clutch for us.
  • Officials were one sided all game, but it was for the Lakers in the 1st half and for us in the 2nd. Especially the 4th quarter FT discrepancy (Jazz 19, Lakers 3) was perplexing to see as the refs seemingly never do that to the Lakers, but usually for them.
Streak keeps going, and we look more and more legit.

That was really fun to watch. Great stuff from Hardy once again.
  • At the first quarter Collins was guarding AD and Jazz sent Tech to double him. Overall defensive effort really wasn't there, but either way, AD had no issues to find open guys over the doubles. At the second quarter Hardy put Lauri on AD, sent Collins to help, and suddenly those easy skip passes weren't there anymore.
  • Great all-around game from Lauri. He was really light on his feet today, and Will had clearly instructed Lauri to run after each defensive rebound. He really put pressure on the Lakers' interior defense each time he had chance to run. Also terrific defense against AD.
  • DLo is really freaking annoying to watch, but damn, his shot was automatic today.

Hardy said they prepared for lebron then adjusted the gameplan on the spot. That’s probably why they started sluggish.
That explains a lot. The aggressive doubling of AD was probably a last minute adjustment to throw the Lakers off, that just didnt work. After we went to single defender with normal help, he stopped getting the easy passes to wide open looks and AD was forced to start creating more for himself, and that turned the game around really.

That explains a lot. The aggressive doubling of AD was probably a last minute adjustment to throw the Lakers off, that just didnt work. After we went to single defender with normal help, he stopped getting the easy passes to wide open looks and AD was forced to start creating more for himself, and that turned the game around really.
AD also posted up way less at the second half.

The meltdown from Lakers fans on a couple of local Aussie NBA boards is so funny. Full of “can’t even beat the Jazz etc”. Completely unaware of how well we’re playing lol. So enjoyable
It's understandable though. From the Aussie perspective, the Jazz are still recovering from the loss of the great Joe Ingles, right? ;)

Also one additional thing that I didnt see anyone call out (maybe someone did though).... I think the Kris Dunn steal from Vando after his own turnover was a key momentum building play. He didnt have as good a game as some of the others he's had recently, but I feel like that was an important one. We were up just a couple at that point.

Takes:

- Clarkson got a couple of really favorable calls in this game. I guess the refs remembered he used to play for the Lakers.

- Last minute change to the game plan or not, we came out look looking soft and slow on D. A long stretch of wins does that to a team sometimes, plus you start to develop a target on your back and other teams get that extra bit of motivation that matters. We'll see it more and more, just have to deal with it.

- Making DLo eat that BS early celebration felt fantastic. Dude is super annoying. He's like Trae and Luka in that you can't even breath on him when he goes around a pick on the perimeter. Always ready to flop like he took a bullet. Reaves is almost as bad these days.

- Olynyk had one of those games where everything he did was either sloppy or inexplicable. I guess it's just the price you pay for the full KO experience. He looked like he was high. Fortunately Hardy recognized early that Kelly didn't have it and sat him down.

- John Collins is taking full advantage of the fact that defenses are not paying any attention to him, with the Jazz having a multitude of weapons. This is a good thing, but let's pump the brakes on the "COLLINS IS BACK!!" thing. He still can't do anything off the dribble, keeps getting blocked and gets caught ball-watching on D. Nice game though, in the absence of Kessler.

- Speaking of Walker... what was that about? He played scared and soft and his body language was suspension-worthy. You just can't get that down on yourself that easily. At this point, it's not just a personality trait anymore, it's a flaw that's hurting both himself and the team. He has to fix it.

- We also saw why Walker may have trouble staying on the floor if/when we make the playoffs. It was a reflex for the Lakers to hack him the second Olynyk made the mistake of giving him the ball under the basket. Through to form, Kessler missed both FT's and that was pretty much the end of his night. I mean... EVERYONE knows the foul is coming. Walker has to anticipate it and go up a LOT stronger. FFS, he's as big as a house. Play your size.

- Doesn't it feel like Keyonte has shot well from the perimater lately? Well, he hasn't. He's 8/29 (28%) over the last 5 games. That's how your eyes lie to you when the team is winning. By and large, he's managed to make the shots when they mattered, but... that's still not great. Happy about his continued development as a facilitator and calm ballhandler, though.

These notes came out a bit more critical than I intended, but overall this was a satisfying win and the direction of the team is great.

Last edited: