What's new

Game Thread Jan 17, 2022 08:30PM MT: Jazz at Lakers

Added to Calendar: 01-17-22

We may have held the Lakers to *101, but the worst defense in the league just held our “historic offense” to 95.
Statistically proven that offense is much more vulnerable to variance in the regular season. It happens.

The result is the problem. The result doesn't matter. You should decide.

Jazz ran different sets tonight but spacing was jumbled because they couldn't hit shots. It happens. Bogey sucked which took some of our options to bust switches with his post-uşs and all.

I mean, do I need to repeat this for the third time? The result is not the problem. I'll do it 3 more times to make it more clear. The result is not the problem. The result is not the problem. The result is not the problem.

This game showcased a problem that has been present for years. Quin's inability to make adjustments is the problem. We could have very easily one, but it doesn't change that problem.

Statistically proven that offense is much more vulnerable to variance in the regular season. It happens.
I believe you missed my point completely. But in any case, if we can attribute that to variance then we should likewise be attributing holding LA to 101 to their offensive variance, too.

Man, Donovan is getting killed right now across NBA Reddit. A lot of comments on how Rudy deserves better… interesting to see the narrative on this team shift.
was bound to happen. I think a lot of people see the ridiculous level of hate Gobert gets and see how undeserved it is.

Quin needs to break off a bit from his moneyball system and emphasize the deep post seal by Gobert. I see no reason why that shouldnt be a dangerous weapon the Jazz exploit endlessly.
Moneyball HAS to factor in game adjustments. Quin cannot figure that part out.

I mean, do I need to repeat this for the third time? The result is not the problem. I'll do it 3 more times to make it more clear. The result is not the problem. The result is not the problem. The result is not the problem.

This game showcased a problem that has been present for years. Quin's inability to make adjustments is the problem. We could have very easily one, but it doesn't change that problem.

The result is the problem. The reminder of what kind of coach Quin is is the problem.
Allow me to be confused.

Anyways, Jazz had a bad offensive game. It's too often not the reason they lose games. The execution was terrible down the line, sure but there is no way the Jazz can get a win if Mitchell, Bogey, Clarkson, Gay shoot like **** on reasonable shots while Rudy Gobert can't get a rebound because he looked hella tired.

I have been part of many meltdowns, this game is just ain't it. Sometimes you just take your losses and go.

Pretty amazing. I thought I’d get some flack for dramatics when I said fire Quin, and I’m surprised to see quite a few people independently (here but mostly elsewhere) having come to that same conclusion.

For the dwindling “nothing to panic about” peeps (here but mostly elsewhere), I think we’re speaking different languages. I don’t believe they’d be concerned about a first round exit or a poor second round showing, so us foreshadowing that doesn’t worry them. For those who wouldn’t accept that outcome as being anything other than an abject failure, the “stay calm” people are so baffled by the anger of pointing out that foreshadowing, because I don’t believe they connect this to a recognition that a bad first or second round showing is not acceptable.

Whatever. It’s nearly 1:00 am and I’m on vacation and stayed up for this ****.

I believe you missed my point completely. But in any case, if we can attribute that to variance then we should likewise be attributing holding LA to 101 to their offensive variance, too.
Nah, it's just that your point is narrative based and doesn't make much sense.

You sure could but have you been watching the Lakers?

Allow me to be confused.

Anyways, Jazz had a bad offensive game. It's too often not the reason they lose games. The execution was terrible down the line, sure but there is no way the Jazz can get a win if Mitchell, Bogey, Clarkson, Gay shoot like **** on reasonable shots while Rudy Gobert can't get a rebound because he looked hella tired.

I have been part of many meltdowns, this game is just ain't it. Sometimes you just take your losses and go.

OK, I do apologize for my typo lol. My bad.

The point is, the process by which Quin makes decision is the problem. That was on full display tonight, but it has been a problem for years and particularly in the playoffs. This game ultimately doesn't matter. The fact that Quin is still incapable of making good decisions on the fly is a persistent problem that will matter once again in the playoffs.

Nah, it's just that your point is narrative based and doesn't make much sense.

You sure could but have you been watching the Lakers?
You’re stating that it’s good we held the Lakers to 101. I counter with saying they held us to 95. You then invoke regular season offensive variance.

Pretty amazing. I thought I’d get some flack for dramatics when I said fire Quin, and I’m surprised to see quite a few people independently (here but mostly elsewhere) having come to that same conclusion.

For the dwindling “nothing to panic about” peeps (here but mostly elsewhere), I think we’re speaking different languages. I don’t believe they’d be concerned about a first round exit or a poor second round showing, so us foreshadowing that doesn’t worry them. For those who wouldn’t accept that outcome as being anything other than an abject failure, the “stay calm” people are so baffled by the anger of pointing out that foreshadowing, because I don’t believe they connect this to a recognition that a bad first or second round showing is not acceptable.

Whatever. It’s nearly 1:00 am and I’m on vacation and stayed up for this ****.

I was ready to fire him after the Clippers series. Tonight was a reminder of the Clippers series. I'm indifferent to firing him or not. He's shown his limitations, but I'm mostly not thinking about it because it will 100% not happen. A trade is very unlikely, but infinitely more realistic than Quin getting fired midseason.

You guys do realize that moneyball says to pass the ball to Gobert? Gotta stop labeling literally anything bad "moneyball".
When did I say anything contrary to that? Moneyball is getting the most points per possession while allowing the fewest on D.

Rudy's FTs have been better, and his FG% dictates you get him as many "good" shots as you can.

You also take good open 3s, and adjust as necessary.

It also means tiring out your opponent to reduce their offensive %.

Quin does not play moneyball.

When did I say anything contrary to that? Moneyball is getting the most points per possession while allowing the fewest on D.

Rudy's FTs have been better, and his FG% dictates you get him as many "good" shots as you can.

You also take good open 3s, and adjust as necessary.

It also means tiring out your opponent to reduce their offensive %.

Quin does not play moneyball.

Fair enough, you are correct. I guess I was mostly responding to the comment you were replying to. Quin's commitment to money ball is not an issue. Like you said, lack of money ball is what's leaving Gobert hanging.

OK, I do apologize for my typo lol. My bad.

The point is, the process by which Quin makes decision is the problem. That was on full display tonight, but it has been a problem for years and particularly in the playoffs. This game ultimately doesn't matter. The fact that Quin is still incapable of making good decisions on the fly is a persistent problem that will matter once again in the playoffs.
It's okay lol.

I am curious what would be the good decisions. Jazz did play some different sets so they could attack Dwight in the middle, just couldn't get it to work mostly because of bad shooting and poor decisions.

Conley could have come earlier and played 5 or 6 minutes more but Jazz are limiting his minutes. He could have helped but when he came back the ropes were pretty much gone.

I thought Clarkson played much more reigned in the second half. He still sucked though but was at least active defensively.

Paschall could have played in the second half but he looked ineffective against a bulkier match up.