What's new

Game Thread Jan 19, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Rockets

Added to Calendar: 01-19-22

Like I get the team isn't complete and everything, but this team is bad right now. Hopefully it's just a rough patch, but losing at home to the Rockets is an inexcusable type of loss. And it's not the only inexcusable type of loss they've had lately.
You get one loss like we had to Detroit, LA or Houston... the combination of the three is bad. You also connect it to the collapses we have had against good teams and the lack of killer instinct... the team needs therapy.

Matthews would have been like Shaq and probably on the waiver wire by now if we had picked him up, You forget Quin is really, really smrt.

I mean, great if the Jazz picked him up, but he would just be buried in the bench as Quin has a stubborn refusal to play anyone on the bench.
Probably... but maybe he gets the Forrest minutes and shows he's solid. The point is hitting on moves like that... throughout the years... means you can budget to use cap space on other things rather than pay a premium for what JC is doing. Quite frankly adding a budget 3 and D guy would make Royce movable... the overpay for backup centers has also hampered our flexibility in a bad way.

Its not that specific miss its those types of misses that can really hurt. You hold on to pet projects rather than churn those spots looking for Tate, Dort, Matthews, Koncar, GP2... and yeah you gonna have more Shaq Harrisons than Lu Dort's but you have to keep churning to find the good stuff.

Wait so last night wasn't a zone but we put one guy next to the basket and the perimeter guys rotated to whoever was open... well that is totally different from a zone where you have one guy next to the basket and the four perimeter guys rotate to the open player.

Well, no. A zone is where 5 guys guard a space. This clearly wasn't that.

When D'Antoni coached the Suns they used to run something similar. Although that was to prevent the opposing team from exposing Steve Nash on defense.

Well, no. A zone is where 5 guys guard a space. This clearly wasn't that.

When D'Antoni coached the Suns they used to run something similar. Although that was to prevent the opposing team from exposing Steve Nash on defense.
Guys don't guard space... wtf... you guard players in your space... specifically open players. We ran a zone or a matchup zone... or it was a man defense where Rudy was ignoring whoever the worst shooter was... which is exactly what we have done before... it is exactly what got us cooked against the Clips. When NBA players miss wide open shots it works... problem is guys don't always miss wide open shots.

Its similar to what Quin has done and it works with Westbrook if the rest of his team sucks at shooting... I don't mean to trample you in semantics I am just not giving Quin one smidge of any credit "for trying something new". This was very similar to what we have done in response to 5 out and it has proven to not work or only work with Rudy at the middle of it. Running the same thing and putting Doke in the middle is like me substituting sugar with salt in a baking recipe... it gonna taste like ****.

Trying something different would have been putting in Paschall and trying to switch or just make sure the perimeter guys have a little defensive integrity. It would have been helpful to see Royce or EP as the roll man... that would have been different.

Probably... but maybe he gets the Forrest minutes and shows he's solid. The point is hitting on moves like that... throughout the years... means you can budget to use cap space on other things rather than pay a premium for what JC is doing. Quite frankly adding a budget 3 and D guy would make Royce movable... the overpay for backup centers has also hampered our flexibility in a bad way.

Its not that specific miss its those types of misses that can really hurt. You hold on to pet projects rather than churn those spots looking for Tate, Dort, Matthews, Koncar, GP2... and yeah you gonna have more Shaq Harrisons than Lu Dort's but you have to keep churning to find the good stuff.
But where would you carve out the slot for trying out guys? It's not like there's been several compressed seasons where players need rest, or dudes out with covid for weeks at a time or anything. Nothing can shake the 9-man rotation, not even a chronic hamstring problem on a dude well into his 30's.

I wish Conley would've been more aggressive last night. Bogey had a really off night, just 11/27 and 3/13 from 3 but he just kept on shooting. Mike only took 12 shots.

I wish Conley would've been more aggressive last night. Bogey had a really off night, just 11/27 and 3/13 from 3 but he just kept on shooting. Mike only took 12 shots.
I'm fine with it... Bogey just has to make more shots last night and they have to play something semi-competent on the outside. I thought Mike tried to attack a few times but he has a hard time getting separation... especially with that team since they are long and athletic.

I'm fine with it... Bogey just has to make more shots last night and they have to play something semi-competent on the outside. I thought Mike tried to attack a few times but he has a hard time getting separation... especially with that team since they are long and athletic.

12 shots in 34 minutes isn't enough when you're leading scorer is out. Mike's our best shooter and he needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot instead of deferring to Don, Bogey and Clarkson so much. Sometimes he's too unselfish.

12 shots in 34 minutes isn't enough when you're leading scorer is out. Mike's our best shooter and he needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot instead of deferring to Don, Bogey and Clarkson so much. Sometimes he's too unselfish.
Probably a couple more... I just think they would be forced shots... like the looooonnnnggg three he took at the end of the game. He has a hard time getting separation.