What's new

Game Thread Jan 23, 2022 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Warriors

Added to Calendar: 01-23-22

We need to keep Bogey. We need to find a way to turn JC into Smart… I know that is some rumpelstilskin **** but it needs to happen. JC/Royce/butler for Smart.

Bogey is the guy that raises our ceiling when he’s going.
We need to keep Bogey. We need to find a way to turn JC into Smart… I know that is some rumpelstilskin **** but it needs to happen. JC/Royce/butler for Smart.

Bogey is the guy that raises our ceiling when he’s going.
Combining JC and Royce for Smart would be an excellent cap move. I think it would be a good basketball move, too (including Royce). With including him, I think it takes away a crutch Quin uses that actually hurts us. If he’s forced to find something else in a rotation other than defaulting to 38 MPG of Royce and then stopping there in terms of defense “because Royce does that,” then we’d get more on offense and defense. Quin isn’t going to stop playing him 38 MPG in a series, even if you’ve got Smart. In fact, people here may be pissed when they see Smart never closing games. Ainge has to force Quin’s hand on a number of these things because he won’t budge. Unless he wants to fire him.

Last edited:
The narrative exists because stats back that up over his career. He does disappear at the end of games sometimes, but that is his teammates and possibly coaching fault not his. If no one passes him the ball or the coach doesnt draw up anything for him then he cant do much. When given the chance he is solid in those situations. Having a bad shooting game or missing sometimes in the Clutch happens to ever player. Even the greatest clutch players of all time had that a lot.

Mitchell was pretty clutch the last couple years in the last few minutes of games but he has struggled this year. I think giving him more opportunities to work on it in the regular season is a good decision though. But I feel like he is not learning from his mistakes this year well. He needs to learn to pass when he is doubled and not settle for bad 3 point shots. He also needs to use picks and not go iso as much when it isnt working.
therefore bogey can't be your second leading scorer if your goal is to challenge a title. take the defending champ Bucks for example. Both Middleton and Jrue are shot creators who don't rely so heavily on play design. Bogey's comparison would probably be Bobby Portis who's their fourth leading scorer

Can someone give context on this Gobert 3?
Late shot clock, ball handler was swarmed, Rudy took a step outside the 3 point line and got the ball and took the shot literally in the last second on the shot clock.

what have you seen exactly? like when Bogey hit 1 of 9 on Monday against the Lakers, a game which we only lost by 6, meaning had he hit three of his nine shots could've tied the game.

or that disappointing collapse against Hou where he choked and disappeared in the fourth?

or that 20 point blow out against Cleveland where he shot 3 of 14?

But of course everyone's only gonna talk about the two game winners he made like it happened a week ago......

I mean if you guys only look at his good games and overlook the bad ones, of course he is gonna be the best offensive player there is and the most clutch player in history... It's like watching a highlight reel of players where they show the buckets they made and cut out the buckets they've missed. Everyone is basically Curry and Michael Jordan.

"Bogey has bad games" /= "Bogey isn't clutch." You're moving the goalposts. Your catch-and-shoot point is a fair one, but you're doing the same thing you're berating other people for: pointing out how Player X has bad games sometimes and therefore isn't clutch. Except that they're actually talking about clutch time, while you're generalizing to entire games.

The NBA designates "clutch" as the last five minutes of a game in which the score is within five. According to their advanced stats, Bogey has the second-best true shooting percentage on the team in the clutch, behind only Gobert, who only dunks. The only one close is Conley.

I think it's fair to say that Bogey's clutch.

therefore bogey can't be your second leading scorer if your goal is to challenge a title. take the defending champ Bucks for example. Both Middleton and Jrue are shot creators who don't rely so heavily on play design. Bogey's comparison would probably be Bobby Portis who's their fourth leading scorer
Bogey can create for himself. He can in iso, he can in the pick and roll, he can drive, he can post up. But he is also an elite spot up shooter. He is just as good as Middleton offensively. Just because he isnt given the opportunity in the clutch does not mean he cant do it. When we let him do it he is great. Again, this is a coaching and other players like Mitchell problem, not a Bogey problem.

We also have 3 other players that can create for themselves and others in Mitchell, Clarkson, and Conley. Ingles still can a bit as well although he seems to be dropping off. We have more weapons than they do and spread the shots and ball handling around more than them. It is quite impressive how many points per game Bogey gets with the limited shots and touches he gets. He gets about half as many touches as Middleton and produces about the same points per game. In games where we need more of Bojan and his touches go up, so does his points and assists.

We have the offense to win it all. Our offense is pretty elite. Its a better offense than the Bucks for example, despite the Bucks having the best player in the NBA. Its other parts of the game we are lacking in right now.

jom should quit hiding and just come out and say it. He does not like Bogey and is one of the players he is hoping to be traded, so whatever he see's with Bogey will always validate his feelings.

Bogey has shot poorly from 3 lately for several games now but that definetly does not mean he isn't clutch, just means he's had poor shooting games.

jom mentioned him being 1-7 last night from 3, well the one he hit was in the clutch to give the Jazz chance for the game winning or game tying shot. So in the clutch Bogey was 1-2 from 3.

Also on him passing up that shot to Conley that ended in a shot clock violation, that was more because of his knee getting banged up just before and was still "walking it off" and limping. So yes I wish he would have shot it but understand if he felt he didn't have the legs to put it up because of him hurting.

Holly caling out Quin for not calling a timeout and running a play. I'm liking her more and more.
I disagree on both accounts. I’m tired of her and wish they’d bring KK back. She had all sorts of bad takes last night. Questioning Quin on the last play of the game being one of her worst. The Warriors have the best defense in the league, it’s a bad idea to let them set up their defense. If Holly was familiar with the Jazz, she’d remember Joe Johnson hitting the shot in game 1 against the Clippers. She’d also know that Rudy did have a signature salute akin to Mutumbo’s finger wave, but one time he did it and got beat in transition and hasn’t done it since. Also the media made a big deal about it and made it annoying, so he stopped.

If she was connected with the real world she’d know there are starving people, and food insecurity has been made worse by the pandemic and maybe she shouldn’t take it lightly during a broadcast (I’m being petty here, it was a side comment, but not a very good one.)

Also, when David Locke was new it seemed like he would rush to take advantage of every single opportunity he had to talk about a Sonics player that he used to cover. It was incredibly annoying. Holly does that with her college experience. She rushes to brag about the top picks that other teams have.

Bring back KK.

Last edited:
I disagree on both accounts. I’m tired of her and wish they’d bring KK back. She had all sorts of bad takes last night. Questioning Quin on the last play of the game being one of her worst. The Warriors have the best defense in the league, it’s a bad idea to let them set up their defense. If Holly was familiar with the Jazz, she’d remember Joe Johnson hitting the shot in game 1 against the Clippers. She’d also know that Rudy did have a signature salute akin to Mutumbo’s finger wave, but one time he did it and got beat in transition and hasn’t done it since. Also the media made a big deal about it and made it annoying, so he stopped.

If she was connected with the real world she’d know there are starving people, and food insecurity has been made worse by the pandemic and maybe she shouldn’t take it lightly during a broadcast (I’m being petty here, it was a side comment, but not a very good one.)

Also, when David Locke was new it seemed like he would rush to take advantage of every single opportunity he had to talk about a Sonics player that he used to cover. It was incredibly annoying. Holly does that with her college experience. She rushes to brag about the top picks that other teams have.

Bring back KK.
What was her comment about food/starving people? I had the GS feed.

Bring back KK.

I hear ya. I actually think overall she's a bad addition to the broadcast, but I do kind of like her contrary takes sometimes. And Bogie off the dribble is not a good way to end the game. We should have called a timeout and set up a play.

What was her comment about food/starving people? I had the GS feed.
It wasn’t all that bad. Thurl said something like, “Gobert doesn’t have a dunk yet, and Ford wants to give money to the food bank.” And Holly laughingly said something like “Yes! There are starving people out there.”

It really isn’t much and I feel ridiculous for bringing it up (I hate when people are hyper critical and make big deals over nothing.) I’ve just worked with food banks and didn’t appreciate it. Food insecurity is a major problem in Utah. Can’t imagine what it would be like to have my kids going to bed hungry and yet that’s the reality for so many families in Utah. It was a small comment but it poor taste and felt kind of glib. (It was partly how she said it that bugged me.)

I guess that’s why she’s fun, she says things off the cuff that aren’t refined.

Not that I love the way Thurl and Boler do things. Boler is like family at this point, but I’m so sick of all the “three point ability” crap.