Irving-42 / 33
Hardaway-41/24
Lamelo-29
Rozier-25

Revenge game for sexton and jc
Everybody has someone scoring 30 points on them per game

When Sexton has 6 or more assists, we are 10-2
When Clarkson has 6 or more assists, we are 8-5
When both have 6 or more assists, we are 3-0 and have won by double digits every time (@PHI, DAL, @SAS)

When Clarkson takes 20 or more shots, we are 2-5
When Lauri takes 20 or more shots we are 2-3
To his credit, Sexton has only done that once which was the last game against Houston (so 0-1)

When we have 4 or more guys at double digit FGA we are 19-14
When we have 3 or less guys at double digit FGA we are 3-8

Hopefully we get back to team ball against the Pels. Our winning DNA is getting those "6 guys in double figures" games. Individual statlines are nice to glamor at, but when the wealth is shared, we win ballgames.

It's less about getting assists for me and just moving the ball and running an actual offense that keeps the team involved. If guys are just running iso over and over the rest of the team just stands there. It kills it for the whole team and makes it easier to defend.

This is why I'm still hesitant to totally buy Sexton "leveling up". People love the fact that he plays with a chip on his shoulder, but why is he like that? Does he want to prove that he can be a winning player... or that he's a dominant scorer?

If it's the latter, then I don't think Hardy has gotten through to him after all. And that's a problem.

It's less about getting assists for me and just moving the ball and running an actual offense that keeps the team involved. If guys are just running iso over and over the rest of the team just stands there. It kills it for the whole team and makes it easier to defend.
Assists are a result of good decissionmaking. Two of the best ways to score in the NBA is to get the ball to a big in the dunker spot, and to get an open C&S corner 3.

Both of those buckets are almost always assisted and for dunks if you get the ball there it becomes a bucket 75-80% of the time, so those shots generate a lot of assists for whoever can make those passes.

If you dont generate assists as a player or as a team, that means you are usually settling for lesser shots.

Assists are a result of good decissionmaking. Two of the best ways to score in the NBA is to get the ball to a big in the dunker spot, and to get an open C&S corner 3.

Both of those buckets are almost always assisted and for dunks if you get the ball there it becomes a bucket 75-80% of the time, so those shots generate a lot of assists for whoever can make those passes.

If you dont generate assists as a player or as a team, that means you are usually settling for lesser shots.
Assists will come when you play good team basketball. But you can get assists and still dominate the ball leaving your team to stand around. Dribbling for most of the shot clock and then getting doubled and kicking it isnt great offense usually, even if it generates some assists. When guys dont get the ball and move they tend to get cold on offense and hustle less on the other side of the court. Plus you are not wearing down the other team with movement and passing.

Interestingly assists don't lead to better team offense, there is actually no correlation:

1705944708012.png

I'm not sure how to look up, but would be interested to find the League wide FG% for unassisted vs assisted FG%. I'm pretty sure there is a big difference because there is a much higher ratio of assists to potential assists than what you would expect based on league wide FG%, but maybe I just don't understand how that stat is calculated.

Interestingly assists don't lead to better team offense, there is actually no correlation:

View attachment 15842

I'm not sure how to look up, but would be interested to find the League wide FG% for unassisted vs assisted FG%. I'm pretty sure there is a big difference because there is a much higher ratio of assists to potential assists than what you would expect based on league wide FG%, but maybe I just don't understand how that stat is calculated.

OK, I think I figured out a way to get what I was looking for. I averaged the FG% for all of the teams assisted vs unassisted and there is a huge difference. The average FG% for an assisted FG is 62.7%. The average FG% for an unassisted FG is 37.3%. So something isn't adding up to me for why AST% isn't correlating better with OFFRTG? I made the same plot for AST% vs FG% EFG% and it was similarly uncorrelated.

View attachment 15842

I think your first statement is pretty dramatic based on those stats.

AST% is not a metric but a share, which means it doesnt measure quantity or effectiveness and is affected by something you dont want to measure (making an unassisted bucket lowers its value, despite having no effect on actual assist metrics).

You could equally say based on that that scoring a lot of unassisted buckets doesnt affect your offense, as correlation (or non-correlation) measured with a share can always be reversed with the negative version (UAST%) of that share.

Btw sorry if my math english sucks lol.

OK, I think I figured out a way to get what I was looking for. I averaged the FG% for all of the teams assisted vs unassisted and there is a huge difference. The average FG% for an assisted FG is 62.7%. The average FG% for an unassisted FG is 37.3%. So something isn't adding up to me for why AST% isn't correlating better with OFFRTG? I made the same plot for AST% vs FG% EFG% and it was similarly uncorrelated.
What is the formula for team assist percentage?

I think you are on a very interesting topic though. Im interested on what you discover with this.

I think your first statement is pretty dramatic based on those stats.

AST% is not a metric but a share, which means it doesnt measure quantity or effectiveness and is affected by something you don't want to measure (making an unassisted bucket lowers its value, despite having no effect on actual assist metrics).

You could equally say based on that that scoring a lot of unassisted buckets doesnt affect your offense, as correlation (or non-correlation) measured with a share can always be reversed with the negative version (UAST%) of that share.

Btw sorry if my math english sucks lol.

I'm not quite following your logic, so maybe there is something lost in translation.