What's new

Jared Dudley: NBA Players like Quinn

Carbon13

Jared Dudley was on the most recent Lowe Post. At about the 46 minute mark, he said players say great things about Quinn Snyder as a coach. Role players like the idea of playing in a system that moves the ball and gets guys involved. It seems like players recently have been willing to move to smaller markets than ever before. See: LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe. Do y'all think perhaps Quinn could help us attract free agents in the future?

I like it. Seems like a good reason for players to want to play here for sure.

let's see what the cap explosion does alter this new balance. I'm worried.

I doubt it has any lasting impact.
I can see an initial exodus to some key markets, but then things stabilize quickly.

Jared Dudley was on the most recent Lowe Post. At about the 46 minute mark, he said players say great things about Quinn Snyder as a coach. Role players like the idea of playing in a system that moves the ball and gets guys involved. It seems like players recently have been willing to move to smaller markets than ever before. See: LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe. Do y'all think perhaps Quinn could help us attract free agents in the future?

has ATL's system helped them? They had amazing success in the very years of their re-boot (seriously, look back at the contracts they signed), and maybe that's because players knew Bud-ball was certain to be Spurs-ball, or maybe it was just excellent GMing since they obviously hadn't established their system yet. After a 60-win season, and after their system was fully known league-wide, has it helped them?

I doubt it has any lasting impact.
I can see an initial exodus to some key markets, but then things stabilize quickly.

I think that's probably most likely. Still.... I can see two big markets using this window to build two super teams, and their successes bringing back old habits/bewitchings

makes a ton of sense. Look at the laundry list of players who've rejuvenated their careers with Brad Stevens. THere's probably a waiting list of wanting to play for the dude's team. The appeal for playing for a coach who'll maximize your value can't be overstated. I know Dudley has mentioned Stevens before too.

Think of the contract Evan Turner's gonna get now, relative to where he was when he got cut from Indiana. Same goes for Jerebko, or when Crowder got traded, or (etc.)

I think the "smaller market" thing is fading in terms of endorsements, visibility, etc. in the eyes of players.

But I do think it's still real - and will continue to be real - with respect to teams' willingness to open their checkbooks and dip into the luxury tax. Some franchises will just never be able to afford it, and with the trend of stars colluding together to form super-teams these days, it's going to be damn hard to put a championship team together in a small market.

Why do people keep spelling Quin with two n's? It's really not that difficult of a name to spell geez.

let's see what the cap explosion does alter this new balance. I'm worried.

The cap explosion should help smaller markets.

More money from the team should decrease the incentive to choose a market that will increase your endorsement value. It won't eliminate it but it should help.

But we don't know. There are better guesses than others, but we don't. And, at the end of the day, it only takes a couple of super teams to (deeply) winnow down the championship odds of other programs; and it's still safer to say those super teams end up at larger markets. How many millions to the Lakers have?

^further clarification: these are worries I have. They're not hypotheses .