What's new

Jared vs. Donovan

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
“It just depends on the type of person you are,” Butler said. “Can you handle criticism? Can you hear what he’s saying and then actually visualize it and then replicate it on the court. I’m a fairly fast learner and when Donovan tells me something, I’m like, ‘Alright bet.’ If it works for him it can work for me.”

Foreshadowing a battle for alpha dog?

:eek::oops::)o_O

Jared + Donovan... FIFY

I think they may have some issues being undersized but other than that I think they are going to compliment each other well. We are so far ahead of ourselves though... and I think I am the original Jared Butler stan.

Jared + Donovan... FIFY

I think they may have some issues being undersized but other than that I think they are going to compliment each other well. We are so far ahead of ourselves though... and I think I am the original Jared Butler stan.

If you're the original Butler Stan you should already know that we're not necessarily far ahead of ourselves. This could happen quick.

Also being early on the Jared Butler hype train does not mean I have to get irrational. Current Donovan would smoke rookie Donovan... and no one really thinks JB will have the opportunity to do what Donovan did his rookie year.

That would be a hell of a sign. I'll settle for the sign that Jared's middle name has win in it: Gladwyn.
It might the spelled Gladwyn but it’s pronounced Glad-nuh-goi-in.

Also being early on the Jared Butler hype train does not mean I have to get irrational. Current Donovan would smoke rookie Donovan... and no one really thinks JB will have the opportunity to do what Donovan did his rookie year.

Jared's game is more mature than Donovan's as a rookie. He's also a better passer which will help. He'll get minutes from Conley and Ingles and then we'll see the battle for alpha dog. Hopefully they compliment each other as you say.

I think what you hope for with JB is short term can he replace some of what JC and Joe do at a high enough level that you could move JC for something else you need. This is likely the swan song for Joe so JB needs to show he can take on some of that mantle next year.

Long term - 2+ years outlook... can he be a good replacement for what Mike does and I think that might be his ceiling. Likely won't ever be prime Mike Conley on defense but I could see him being something comparable to that on offense while being a good defender.

Jared's game is more mature than Donovan's as a rookie. He's also a better passer which will help. He'll get minutes from Conley and Ingles and then we'll see the battle for alpha dog. Hopefully they compliment each other as you say.
He seems more refined... but we have only seen him in preseason. He's not the athlete and doesn't have the physical tools Don does. I could see him being more efficient and well rounded than rookie Donovan but no way do I think he could handle the volume and defensive attention Donovan got. Jared may put up some more efficient numbers in part because of spacing and the talent level being higher.

I will say... the way he got his in the pre-season was very cerebral and seemed like he could duplicate his moves. It seemed well thought out. I think he could be the rare rookie capable of a rotational role on a title contender. I could also see the physicality ramping up and he gets a little overwhelmed and shrinks back his game (which may not be a bad thing in the early years). Like how does he look when a Jevon Carter or Dort get up into his body and don't let him dance? I need to see the kid more before getting too wild.

I think what you hope for with JB is short term can he replace some of what JC and Joe do at a high enough level that you could move JC for something else you need. This is likely the swan song for Joe so JB needs to show he can take on some of that mantle next year.

Long term - 2+ years outlook... can he be a good replacement for what Mike does and I think that might be his ceiling. Likely won't ever be prime Mike Conley on defense but I could see him being something comparable to that on offense while being a good defender.

Conley might have been good at defense in the past, but he’s been highly overrated since being on the Jazz. He’s had a reputation as a good defender and people keep singing that song for him here but it ain’t really there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butler led the NCAA in steal percentage last year. He'll be pretty good on D.

Well Butler had an underwhelming debut. Wish he had gotten more time.

To be fair, Mitchell had a straight up disappointing debut, so maybe per expectations they are even?

We will have to be patient with JB. He gets short stints so won't get the time to work through misses or nerves. Just gotta get his legs under him. He will be fine.