What's new

Jarron Collins / Evans

write4u

Banned
There has been speculation on the board that the Jazz are just biding their time with signing a reserve big man because they already have Collins locked up. If that is the case, then I'm also wondering if they might be grooming him to be an assistant coach. He would seem like an ideal candidate and if signed this year, could work with Fess and Evans.

After seeing Evans briefly in summer league, it makes you wonder how good this kid could be, especially with some of the comments made by people here on the board who supposedly know him personally. Did he really make 10-10 in a 3-point drill? If he did, I doubt that was pure luck. Obviously, he needs to add weight, but with his length and ability to sky, if he is also a Memo-type shooter, then the Jazz have found a potential goldmine.

However, if he is such a great shooter, then why didn't his college coaches take advantage of this?

Shooting outside is a weakness he has. Perhaps he is a late bloomer. Making 10 out of 10 is impressive but one must remember that it was a shooting drill. I think the kid has potential if he works on his game. He seems to have a good b-ball IQ and his athleticism is off the charts. I certainly hope they bring Collins in to coach and not play.

If you watch the players in the pre-game shoot-around, they all appear to be pretty good shooters if you were to see them in the gym. Ostertag would regularly connect on threes. Generally the best-case-scenario with prospects is that they achieve their college-level numbers. There are some exceptions but more times than not people perform statistically a bit less than their best year in college. I'd pull up Evans college numbers as a senior. If he were to duplicate that in the NBA it wouldn't be turning any heads. I'm not sure what Collins would be able to teach him.

I would prefer Evans to play SF. He has a small frame. He probably won't be able to add much weight. And since he has the athleticism and quickness to guard the SF spot than that is where he should play.

Have Horny work on his mid range shot first than extend him out to the 3 once he become a threat from mid range. He form is not bad so I don't think it will take much time.

Having him run the break or sneaking into the lane to get offensive rebounds and playing defense at the 3 position would probably be the best way to utilize him.

I would prefer Evans to play SF. He has a small frame. He probably won't be able to add much weight. And since he has the athleticism and quickness to guard the SF spot than that is where he should play.

Have Horny work on his mid range shot first than extend him out to the 3 once he become a threat from mid range. He form is not bad so I don't think it will take much time.

Having him run the break or sneaking into the lane to get offensive rebounds and playing defense at the 3 position would probably be the best way to utilize him.

So Can horny teach Fes to shoot the three? Look Evans has never demonstrated the ability to knock down the three at any level. Just because some redneck from Kentucky tells you he knocked down 10 in a row from three does not make it so. I mean the dude that pimps him probably ate a squirrel this morning for breakfast.

So Can horny teach Fes to shoot the three? Look Evans has never demonstrated the ability to knock down the three at any level. Just because some redneck from Kentucky tells you he knocked down 10 in a row from three does not make it so. I mean the dude that pimps him probably ate a squirrel this morning for breakfast.

Wow, that's even worse than my attempt at humor in the Ramos thread. I won't give you negative rep, but you'll probably get a couple dings (I did). Some people just have no sense of humor on this board.

Evans is probably a SF. But, like AK, he might be able to play against backup PF's (eventually). I don't think anyone expects the kid to be an all-star - or even a starter. He's a high-energy guy who plays on a pogo stick around the rim. As Twin said, just have him work on his mid range shot. Look at what Millsap has done in that respect. Simply amazing to compare Paul from his rookie year to current. Evans doesn't need to shoot 3's - just let him go up for rebounds and put-backs.

Let's start with our frontcourt (especially centers) being able to make 10-footers and closer in a little bit of traffic before we clone the next Memo. Few title teams need a Fs/Cs to make treys; most title teams need Fs/Cs to produce on both ends of the floor in the same game.

Unlike Boozer. Or Okur.

If Collins is the "Shot blocking" center KOC was talking about then I don't ever want to imagine who the person would be if he said "Excellent shooter" as a 2.

Collins could teach plenty. He probably made the most of his limited ability of any player the Jazz have had as long as I've been following them, which is more than 15 years.

Teaching? Teaching how to be terrible? Teaching how to keep your seat warm? Teaching how to pass the gatorade?

I'm from Kentucky (Utah now) and I laughed, pretty funny ish. As for Evans, I too have seen him play and my opinion (that everyone seems to be begging for) is his upside is akin (no pun intended) to Brewer. As I've stated before, I was shocked with the pick. Having said that, I would love to eat crow (a bit less greasy than squirrel) and will be pulling for the kid.

Wow, that's even worse than my attempt at humor in the Ramos thread. I won't give you negative rep, but you'll probably get a couple dings (I did). Some people just have no sense of humor on this board.

Evans is probably a SF. But, like AK, he might be able to play against backup PF's (eventually). I don't think anyone expects the kid to be an all-star - or even a starter. He's a high-energy guy who plays on a pogo stick around the rim. As Twin said, just have him work on his mid range shot. Look at what Millsap has done in that respect. Simply amazing to compare Paul from his rookie year to current. Evans doesn't need to shoot 3's - just let him go up for rebounds and put-backs.

Quite frankly i could care less if I humored you. Please do me a favor and give me negative rep.

I'll happily go on the record as saying I could care less if Evans makes it in the league. For that matter, I could care less if the Jazz win a championship this year!!!

Coaching is teaching how to do something. It doesn't mean you have the ability to do it. You think MJ could teach other players how to be like MJ. No, it's about fundamentals, positioning, making decisions, things that Collins excelled at, and which enabled him to stay in the league. He certainly didn't possess the talent to be an NBA player, yet he has been one for what, 9 years now?