What's new

Jazz’s lack of effort is Ty Corbin’s burden

sojodave

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57728548-87/jazz-corbin-players-pistons.html.csp

It seems to me the team has quit on Ty. The low shoulders, the look of frustration on their faces, plus the lack of effort is hard to watch. Ty is a hard worker, he seems to have a good attitude, but the lack of effort is something Ty has to be accountable for. This article from Monson is hopefully something DL can't ignore. I just can't see how the Jazz bring him back.

There was a play I watched last night where Gordon Hayward turned lackadaisically turned to help, took one half step towards the Piston Player then turned and trotted to the other end of the floor.

I couldn't help thinking that if the 2003-2007 version of Jerry Sloan would have seen Hayward playing that Hayward would have been out of the game, Phil Johnson would have to pull Jerry off and Hayward ears would be burning as he sat the rest of the first half. Then there would have been a calling out in the post game press conference.

Btw, I get killed here every time I say it, but Monson said it too. In the article he said the Jazz coach needs some charisma.

Serious question, does Ty have any technicals this year? He shows about as much fire as the players do. It almost seems like he's trained the players to accept defeat and not react to these loses. It would just be nice to see someone on the team get pissed and show some fight in a game, but it feels like Ty is discouraging it.

If my employees don't work hard, it is my problem, not theirs, most often. It is up to me to provide impetus for motivation and get them the tools they need to succeed, which include a viable "game plan" they can buy into, feedback on their individual performance, and training as needed. It also requires disciplinary action from time to time within a specific context so that it can drive improvement. If I am not doing my part, no way in hell do I expect them to do theirs. Same thing applies here.

Just how bad are the Jazz?

Offense
8th worst FG%
2nd fewest PPG
3rd worst assists
4th worst steals
6th worst A/TO
Only positive is 12th in turnovers.

Defense
3rd worst OFG%
3rd worst point differential
6th worst rebounds/game

Positives?
15th in opponents points/game. Then again, when you look at the Jazz having the 2nd worst PPG, you might conclude this is more a factor of pace of game than defensive ability.

14th in fouls/per. A major improvement over previous Jazz teams.

Oddly enough...not that this is a stat the Jazz have any control over...the Jazz are worst in terms of opponent FT%. I attribute this to not enough scantily clad women behind the basket to distract shooters. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57728548-87/jazz-corbin-players-pistons.html.csp

It seems to me the team has quit on Ty. The low shoulders, the look of frustration on their faces, plus the lack of effort is hard to watch. Ty is a hard worker, he seems to have a good attitude, but the lack of effort is something Ty has to be accountable for. This article from Monson is hopefully something DL can't ignore. I just can't see how the Jazz bring him back.

I guess everybody sees what they want to see. After a loss like this everyone wants to believe the players have quit on Ty so they can call for his head. If they have quit (and I don't think they have), they may have quit on the season which is not the same as quitting on Ty. When do you all begin to hold the players accountable? I don't see how you put 100% of the blame for a general lack of effort on the coaches. This isn't high school. Do you think Stockton and Malone relied on Sloan for motivation? At some point the players have to have some pride even though it's pretty tough at this point of a dismal season.

I guess everybody sees what they want to see. After a loss like this everyone wants to believe the players have quit on Ty so they can call for his head. If they have quit (and I don't think they have), they may have quit on the season which is not the same as quitting on Ty. When do you all begin to hold the players accountable? I don't see how you put 100% of the blame for a general lack of effort on the coaches. This isn't high school. Do you think Stockton and Malone relied on Sloan for motivation? At some point the players have to have some pride even though it's pretty tough at this point of a dismal season.

No Stockton and Malone did not rely on Sloan for motivation. But I would bet that he did motivate them occasionally. And they did rely on him to provide a game plan that they could buy into. They probably relied on him to make good decisions about the lineups on the floor and about the match ups. you're right this isn't high school but there have been many, many examples of players giving up on coaches only to have another coach come in and completely turn the team around.

I've seen plenty enough to make me sick.

How would you feel if you play a string of games averaging 20 p/g and then someone comes off the injury list and you get 10 minutes that game? I'm talking about Burks when Hayward came back, or even Kanter for that matter who had a bunch of good game then gets barely minutes once Marvin comes back - I know I don't have the exact minutes but this is what has happened a number of times when players have good games and then they don't get rewarded for it. Remember last year when Favors had that monster game for the first three quarters and then Corbin sat him out the rest of the game? There are other instances in which Corbin demotivates players because of his rotations. But Marvin or RJ suck and score 2 pts in a game and they continue to get big minutes. How would you like to play for a coach who continually makes unfair decisions?

And Corbin blames the players. From the Trib:

"
Utah Jazz notes: Corbin says team must look inside to right ship

Coach says Jazz must “have some inner pride” about how they play. "

I suspect the players have given up on Corbin and his inability to set up strategies and schemes to let them be successful. Like teaching them NBA-quality defense.