What's new

jazz 7th in blocks per game

Any more proof needed that the blocked shot is an over rated statistic?

It seems like the more accurate index of solid interior defense is the number of charges your Forwards and Centers draw + defense rebounding rate. You are right, the significance of the block has waned since the days of the "true center".

There are some pretty high-tempo teams in there. Any per game stat is deceptive due to the variance in # of possessions from one team to another. If you look at blocks per 100 possessions, though, the list is only slightly different:

Indy
Charlotte
Knicks
Chicago
Wash
Minny
Miami
Jazz

There is a stat which captures defensive plays per 100 possessions, but it uses steals, charges and blocks equally. The leaders using this stat are:

Washington
Portland
Memphis
Chicago
Knicks
Spurs
Jazz
Charlotte

Some other teams in that group. I don't like blocks being equal to a steal or a charge, because rather than leading to a change of possession, many times a block just leads to an easy offensive board and uncontested basket.

Chicago will not be there in 2-3 weeks because Noah is hurt and you know it, the Carlos effect. Turnovers, no charges and absolutely no blocks.

I think I'd rather have more rebounds. It's great that we get a few more blocks per game than last year. But I'm not sure if those few blocks make up for the amount of rebounds we're losing.

I think I'd rather have more rebounds. It's great that we get a few more blocks per game than last year. But I'm not sure if those few blocks make up for the amount of rebounds we're losing.

I agree. His rebounding hasn't been what I expected it to be either. Wolves fans were crying about the trade and saying the guy would now be a 24/12 guy with the Jazz. My expectations weren't that lofty but I did expect at least 10 per game. Maybe he will step it up for the rest of the season.

A good defensive team forces bad shots, rebounds and makes the most out of turnovers. We just don't play at a pace high enough and rebound well enough for our blocks to mean much.

However, I do think we are better with Al getting blocks than Boozer watching his guy go past him and waiting for the rebound in case he misses.

A good defensive team forces bad shots, rebounds and makes the most out of turnovers. We just don't play at a pace high enough and rebound well enough for our blocks to mean much.

However, I do think we are better with Al getting blocks than Boozer watching his guy go past him and waiting for the rebound in case he misses.

Statistically (points allowed per possession), I'm pretty sure that is inaccurate. When the Jazz allowed the lowest FG% in the NBA, they were still worse than last year's team in points allowed per possession.

But I'm feeling lazy. My point is blocks are an overrated stat. A team has to be able to achieve them and be a threat enough to achieve them. But any singular defensive strength doesn't mean much because there are so many variables and components. For starters, what is the QUALITY of your individual defensive stats (D rebs, blocks, steals)? Nobody that knows anything thinks Chris Paul is a great defender because he can't or won't stay in front of his man. Boozer didn't play full defensive possessions so he could get position for boards and/or transition baskets. Marcus Camby can't stop anybody one on one.

It's a team thing and it's about effort and not making mistakes. Getting players to put their bodies on the line to get charges, save possessions from out-of-bounds, and going hard for the ball on the boards. Getting players to get on the same page and communicate when implementing a defensive scheme. Reading the scouting report.

To me, "defensive stats" are one of the weakest indicators recorded. BPG is probably the strongest of the individual indicators, but it means very little in the scheme of things.

If the Jazz can somehow learn to bring their rebound differential up to league average/0, they're going to be scary good. That is the biggest and most consistent problem with this time by a mile.

Well, the Jazz are more deficient in PPS and Defensive Rating because of free throws and offensive rebounds. The Jazz are never going to be anywhere but near the top in most free throws made against in the league due to defensive philosophy, so the change will have to come on rebounds. Jefferson's rebound rate is about 2.5% less than his average the last few years. He plays about 75% of the Jazz' 93.5 possessions per game, so about 70 possessions, which is about 2 rebounds less per game he gets that could go to other teammates, but given the bad rebounding rate the Jazz have, I'd say they go to the other team. Jazz give up 1.25 points per shot, so two less rebounds is 2.5 points per game.

Would change Jazz' point differential to about 6 points, which is right where Dallas is.