What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Isnt that based off the Fat Joe rumor?

A podcast on The Ringer brought up Miami as a preferred destination for Mitchell -- https://twitter.com/loganmmurdock -- https://heavy.com/sports/miami-heat/donovan-mitchell-eyeing-heat-trade/

It was also part of the chatter from the Miami Heat realgm guy. But that's just loose corroboration.

Mitchell has also been training in the Miami area for much of the offseason.

Grimes/Toppin/Quickley cost less than Herro will in two years, but when we are trying to be good and the cap actually matters… Herro could be cheaper than several of those guys individually. The cap jumps 30-50% so shouldn’t you be interested in guys you can lock in now. We could give Tyler a 5 year extension for like 130-140 and you have him under contract for 6/135-145 and the worst years will be when we have infinity cap space and not a lot of uses for it.

Mitchell preferring to go to Miami surprises me zero percent. Seems pretty obvious TBH.

Fortunately I think Mitchell's preferred destination matters zero, outside of fairly nuanced ways (i.e., "preferred" team offering better package knowing Mitchell will likely re-sign).

He was already good his rookie year....
Why didn't he play more if he was this good? I will admit - I have not watched him play(who the hell watches random Knicks games?) ... but NONE of his impact and advanced stats are good. NONE!
RPM - 261st, EPM - 262nd, RAPM - 455th, RAPTOR - 212th, LEBRON - 411th...

Even a tanking team needs a marquee player to attract attendance, sell jerseys, be on billboards, etc. I think Herro would fit that bill nicely, as long as there is some agreement for a contract extension before we acquire him.

I'm not very interested in him long term, but theoretically he would retain/increase his value and be an asset we could use later.

Why didn't he play more if he was this good? I will admit - I have not watched him play(who the hell watches random Knicks games?) ... but NONE of his impact and advanced stats are good. NONE!
RPM - 261st, EPM - 262nd, RAPM - 455th, RAPTOR - 212th, LEBRON - 411th...
He played on a team with no PG play and for Thibs.

He was a good defender who shot a good percentage on a good volume from 3. That's rare for a rookie and then he followed up with an impressive SL.

He’s probably a good 3 and D guy but does he have a ton more to his game? He’s also the same age as Herro.
I prefer a good 3&D player to a scorer who doesnt defend. I want my stars/max players to be more versatile than Herro.

Again, not saying he sucks. I just wouldnt start my rebuild off with a guy as flawed as him. I dont want Don 1.5

Herro takes another step and he's in the CJ McCollum+ or poor man's Booker type territory. He's 22... he's been doing it on a good team. I get there are some flaws. It's kinda wild we just look right past him in this scenario because we are more intrigued by lesser known prospects.

I'm not big on Herro at all. If we did a deal with Miami, I would want to find a 3rd team with more draft assets to send our way.

I still think that the best picks we will have in the next 3-4 years would be our own picks. If we want a top 4 pick, we are going to have to lose our way into top 4 pick consideration.

I prefer a good 3&D player to a scorer who doesnt defend. I want my stars/max players to be more versatile than Herro.

Again, not saying he sucks. I just wouldnt start my rebuild off with a guy as flawed as him. I dont want Don 1.5
But if you are trading Don 1.0 for Don 1.5 plus three picks, three swaps, and a prospect... and he will be cheaper than Don. Not saying you have to build everything around him but he's an asset and contract status isn't ideal but it has some upside for us if we play it right (there is downside too obvi).

But if you are trading Don 1.0 for Don 1.5 plus three picks, three swaps, and a prospect... and he will be cheaper than Don. Not saying you have to build everything around him but he's an asset and contract status isn't ideal but it has some upside for us if we play it right (there is downside too obvi).
Ok, well he's probably more like Don .75 and I'm good on that.

Just not the style of player I want on my team personally.

kevin-hart-its-about-to-go-down.gif

Maybe.

And I do get that there is a preference towards Grimes player type... but is he going to be as good as say Mikal Bridges? I doubt he's getting to that level... would it be better to have a poor man's Booker or a poor man's Bridges?

If Knicks give 3 unprotected picks, Grimes/Toppin, and 2 other protected picks - I will take that over the Miami package. If they want to pull Grimes and one of the protected picks out (which are kinda the rumorz) then FOH... the Miami deal is better.

Ok, well he's probably more like Don .75 and I'm good on that.

Just not the style of player I want on my team personally.
I agree, I don't want him long term, but I think it could make sense short term.

I prefer a potential NYK package, but I'm not against the theoretical max offer from the Heat.

And I do get that there is a preference towards Grimes player type... but is he going to be as good as say Mikal Bridges? I doubt he's getting to that level... would it be better to have a poor man's Booker or a poor man's Bridges?

If Knicks give 3 unprotected picks, Grimes/Toppin, and 2 other protected picks - I will take that over the Miami package. If they want to pull Grimes and one of the protected picks out (which are kinda the rumorz) then FOH... the Miami deal is better.
I kinda want Grimes just to see if he can develop into a Danny Green type of player. Maybe not a star or even a main starter, but a solid 3&D guy that can help win games down the road.