What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I just dont think Aigne is budging within the first month.

If a deal gets done its the Knicks meeting us more than it is us meeting them.
Maybe… patience is fine but I’d do days and weeks not months.

Do I think this would happen? No. Is it something I would do if we didn’t get what we wanted from the Knicks? Yes.

3-team deal with the Heat and Lakers

Donovan to Heat, Conley to Lakers

Heat send Herro/Jovic/Strus/Vincent to Jazz along with 23/27/29 1sts and 24/26/28 pick swaps. They send Robinson to Lakers.

Lakers send Westbrook to Jazz along with 27/29 1sts.

We end up buying out Westbrook. We don’t take on Robinson’s salary. We end up with:

Herro/Jovic/Strus/Vincent

Heat 23/27/29 1sts along with their 24/26/28 pick swap 1sts

Lakers 27/29 1sts

Here is a dumb question: The Pacers had to waive four players for salary cap purposes in the Ayton offer sheet. Two were former Jazzmen. Can they unwaive them now or are they subject to being claimed by any team? If the Jazz are tanking, these might be four great tank commanders.
Who were the four?

Pick protections would need to be radically terrible on the NY offer for the Miami offer to be competitive with it.
I mean in a vacuum, the Miami godfather offer might be enough but in the presence of likely unprotected picks from easily one of the worst run organizations in the league with the record to show for it, it shouldn’t even be a question.

But if the Jazz can keep the talks with Miami, Brooklyn, and Phoenix alive then that greatly helps their case.

Do I think this would happen? No. Is it something I would do if we didn’t get what we wanted from the Knicks? Yes.

3-team deal with the Heat and Lakers

Donovan to Heat, Conley to Lakers

Heat send Herro/Jovic/Strus/Vincent to Jazz along with 23/27/29 1sts and 24/26/28 pick swaps. They send Robinson to Lakers.

Lakers send Westbrook to Jazz along with 27/29 1sts.

We end up buying out Westbrook. We don’t take on Robinson’s salary. We end up with:

Herro/Jovic/Strus/Vincent

Heat 23/27/29 1sts along with their 24/26/28 1sts

Lakers 27/29 1sts
Lakers will need a lot more coming back but that’s fine since the Jazz are flush with win-now players and that’s what they need. Send whoever they want (besides Donovan, obviously) and try to get a ‘28 pick swap on top of it.

It’s the same can. 27 ain’t much different than 29 and all unprotected picks have catastrophic failure potential. You’re being weird on where you think they would get concerned.

If you believe 27 and 29 present the same uncertainty, I have to agree to disagree. Almost everyone in the NYK trade value thread had 29 > 27, and it's because of the greater uncertainty about what that pick may be and the potential for it to be very good. There is definitely uncertainty grows greater the more distant the pick is, pretty simple concept. If you don't believe that, I don't really know what to tell you. And back to the original point, a trade still has to be done. Is a trade possible without 27 and 29? Gets more difficult to do that. I'm not sure about a trade without both, but there's certainly a trade without 29 and I think that's the one that gets done.

I would prefer get five 1st than Barrett. Barrett is overrated for me, shoot way too much. Get as much pick as we can , it give the rebuild more chance to succeed.

Just go for:
-23/25/27/29 unprotected
-swaps in ‘24*/‘26/‘28
-Quickley, Toppin, Fournier
-one or some of: Grimes, 2nds, taking Gay

Jazz then own the Knicks’ draft for the maximum time allowed which almost certainly digs out some lottery picks, maybe some high ones, and maybe stack them for consecutive years.

*ideally where Jazz get the greatest two of the Jazz, Knicks, and a mystery team who might send the Jazz a pick for one of their many useful vets, if that’s even possible prior to acquiring this mystery ‘24 1st.

I would prefer get five 1st than Barrett. Barrett is overrated for me, shoot way too much. Get as much pick as we can , it give the rebuild more chance to succeed.

I wouldn’t. Draft picks are no guarantee. We might not get a player out of all of these picks who becomes better than him.

In that sense, he has more concrete value as an asset IMO. And should we end up with the 7th pick or something, we could package him and picks to move up to get Wemby. Picks alone wouldn’t get it done IMO.