What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I’m fine taking Randle if they attach more picks/players btw. The salary doesn’t hurt us at all. And he’s a tank commander and/or a guy who can rehab his value a bit with some opportunity on an awful team. I don’t know why he’s treated like absolute poison. We want the Jazz to suck.
Four years is a long time to have that much salary tied up. I'd rather the Jazz have salary flexibility.

The knicks have zero leverage. Donovan’s value won’t drop if I’m Ainge I just hold off. Donovan will hold his value and the knicks will look ridiculous if they don’t make a deal happen. They can’t afford to miss out on another all star and more importantly all knicks fans want a deal.
The only leverage they have is if they think they can take their current rosters to a great 1st half start.

The biggest issue to me is that the Jazz are going to have some young guys come into the club that are going to need to get paid 2nd contracts. As soon as that starts happening, cap space disappears. It would be nice to have one season of max cap space to see what DA can do with it. Randle costs $27 million on the books that year. I’d rather that be in NY instead of Utah. Let him be their tank commander or albatross. At least Fournier has a team option that season. I’d MUCH rather have that on the books the next two seasons and then open up that space heading into the 2024 offseason.
That's kind of the beauty of having so many picks. If rookies need to get paid for that 2nd contract they make good trade assets to other teams, either packaged with a pick to get a really good player once we're in win-now mode or whatever and we can use our picks to keep bringing in new players on rookie deals hoping to land a winner. If they're worth that second good contract and the Jazz are looking like possible contenders you don't have to overpay because you have options.

The biggest issue to me is that the Jazz are going to have some young guys come into the club that are going to need to get paid 2nd contracts. As soon as that starts happening, cap space disappears. It would be nice to have one season of max cap space to see what DA can do with it. Randle costs $27 million on the books that year. I’d rather that be in NY instead of Utah. Let him be their tank commander or albatross. At least Fournier has a team option that season. I’d MUCH rather have that on the books the next two seasons and then open up that space heading into the 2024 offseason.
This is why I want a couple of those Knick younglings. You need to start discovering talent now because the longer you let the tank go, you eventually start piling up extensions and blowing your capspace and losing assets. You want to start competing while those extra picks are still coming in, not after.

I read on Twitter that the Jazz have informed the Heat that the negotiations have been terminated. It sounds like the Knicks have conceded a major demand of the Jazz and are now haggling over the finer points.

I think DA needs to hold out until Grimes and Toppin are included along with the required picks. If they get anything else above that. . . it’s gravy.

I think DA needs to hold out until Grimes and Toppin are included along with the required picks. If they get anything else above that. . . it’s gravy.

Toppin + 6 picks + 2 pick swaps is more than enough for me.
Are the Knicks refusing to send one of Grimes or Toppin? Is that for real? Getting just Toppin and 6 picks isn’t enough for me. And my boy Trader Danny would agree with me get that weak **** out and that defeatist attitude. Jazz have new DNA and it’s architect is one Danny Ainge.

And they would do it in a second. They REALLY hate that contract. . .

Let’s do it then. Think of it this way if the Knicks called us right now and said take Randle off our hands and we will give you two 1sts would we say no?

I think people are starting to overrate the knicks future picks. A lot of posters have said that the knicks are a trash organization and that has certainly been the case in the past but I think they finally made the right hire with Leon Rose. He has done a great job over the last few years building a strong asset base of future picks and solid young players with nice upside. With him in charge and adding Mitchell and Brunson I think we will see the knicks consistently in that upper tier of east teams within the next 2 years. At that point I think they also become a solid free agent destination. With that being the case I think the knicks 23 pick may end up being the most valuable of any future knick picks. If we are going to ask for 5 picks then I want the 23 and 27 knick picks unprotected and then the Dallas, Detroit and Washington future picks. I would expect the Dallas pick to convey this year which would give us 5 first round picks in the 23 draft.

The Detroit pick is protected 1-18 for 23 and 24, 1-13 in 25, 1-11 in 26 and 1-9 in 27. If it doesn't convey by then then it becomes a 2nd rd pick. Based on the way the pistons are building their team I think that pick has a good chance at conveying in 24 or 25.

The wiz pick is protected 1-14 in 23, 1-12 in 24, 1-10 in 25 and 1-8 in 26. It turns into 2 2nd round picks. Based on the wiz current roster I'm not sure what to expect on this pick. With the current build of the roster and the young players I them as a borderline playoff team over the next few years so their is a chance the pick could convey over these next few years. The big problem though is if they don't show any progress next year then I could see them tearing it down in which case the odds of the pick conveying at all becomes pretty small.

The other pick the Knicks have is the 2025 Bucks pick. Based on realgm's future draft picks page it looks like if the pick is in the 5-30 range it goes to the knicks. If it is in the 1-4 range it goes to the pelicans. This pick may be the safer choice than the wiz pick. In 3 years I expect Giannis to still be one of the best players in the world but Middleton and Holiday may not even be on the roster and if they are still around they will be well past their prime. Giannis alone probably makes them a playoff team but a lower tier team unless they do a good job of retooling around him.

I’m fine taking Randle if they attach more picks/players btw. The salary doesn’t hurt us at all. And he’s a tank commander and/or a guy who can rehab his value a bit with some opportunity on an awful team. I don’t know why he’s treated like absolute poison. We want the Jazz to suck.
I want the Knicks to suck more. Randle is the keystone to that.