What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

There was no reporting (by two of the most trustworthy reporters -- in the sense that it's totally believable that it's coming directly from the Jazz) that the Jazz had eliminated other suitors and entered into negotiations with the Wolves. Not the same.
The potential Brooklyn deal is also hanging out there. I’m guessing he has an acceptable framework and is now going for the kill. The Knicks are tough to negotiate with because they have a bunch of small pieces you want to collect… the Heat kinda have their offer.

Yeah. Agreed.

We could do this of course, still. But (at least in the media landscape) this looks more and more like a hollow threat.
I mean, he is going to be dealt eventually, but if New York starts the year poorly, all their player assets devalue immediately.

I mean, he is going to be dealt eventually, but if New York starts the year poorly, all their player assets devalue immediately.
There are also other legitimate packages out there. I don't think it gets this far without being resolved pre-season.

I think a couple guys could pop for NY and they might increase in value... say Randle is hurt to start the year and Toppin is awesome or some ****.

I'm guessing we are on the 5-10 yard line and just want to push just a little harder to get every penny we can.

There are also other legitimate packages out there. I don't think it gets this far without being resolved pre-season.

I think a couple guys could pop for NY and they might increase in value... say Randle is hurt to start the year and Toppin is awesome or some ****.

I'm guessing we are on the 5-10 yard line and just want to push just a little harder to get every penny we can.
If the Knicks get close to the break and are like 12-25 they arent going to make the offer less than it is now.

Wonder how long this will take to resolve. Seems like Ainge basically doing the "Michael Scott Paper Company" sell to Scott Perry. "I have what you want, a young superstar with a lot of years on his contract, who wants to be on your team long term. But you're about to roll into the season starting Jalen Brunson, RJ Barrett, and Julius Randle. I'm willing to bet that's not going to 'meet expectations'. So, I don't think I need to compromise to get what I want. I think I just need to outlast you".

The potential Brooklyn deal is also hanging out there. I’m guessing he has an acceptable framework and is now going for the kill. The Knicks are tough to negotiate with because they have a bunch of small pieces you want to collect… the Heat kinda have their offer.
Sure. But how do the media reports aid him in going for the kill? If these reports have the potential to do anything (which I'm not sure about), I'd think it would go the other direction.

Do we think the Heat can route Lowry somewhere in a 3-way to get us a pick or two?

Like, who is better?

Monte Morris
Bradley Beal
Will Barton
Kyle Kuzma
Porzingis

or

Brunson
Fournier
Barrett
Randle
Robinson

They were the 11th and 12th seeds last year.

Hell Orlando might be better than the Knicks if Banchero is ROTY level and Isaac finally gets healthy (less likely, but possible). I mean, Wagner and Banchero are both better long-term prospects than Barrett and might be better than him next year.

Sure. But how do the media reports aid him in going for the kill? If these reports have the potential to do anything (which I'm not sure about), I'd think it would go the other direction.
Depends on where it comes from... I'm guessing Shams is coming from the Jazz side. The Woj report could have been from the Don side. Maybe the report coming out puts pressure on the knicks to get the deal done? I mean if it is on the 10 yard line and they won't do the deal because of Grimes or whatever... then we turn to the Nets and do the mega 5 team trade then it looks pretty bad for the Knicks.

I don't think it really changes anything at all, but you want to play all ends against the middle and push an offer.

The deal also might be done and we are spinning off parts to other teams... Fournier and Rose for example.

Like, who is better?

Monte Morris
Bradley Beal
Will Barton
Kyle Kuzma
Porzingis

or

Brunson
Fournier
Barrett
Randle
Robinson

They were the 11th and 12th seeds last year.

Hell Orlando might be better than the Knicks if Banchero is ROTY level and Isaac finally gets healthy (less likely, but possible).
The Knicks being good in a fluky year may be the worst thing that could happen... they are anchored mentally to themselves as a #4 seed... when they are closer to what they were last year. Brunson helps... so would Don obviously... but they will more likely than not be a play in or damn close to it.

Is it? Go look at the East. The East is stacked now. This isnt 5 years ago when the West dominated. The top 6 in the East are all juggernauts and the ones right below them are pretty good as well.
I'd say that betting on the Knicks having a less than .333 winning percentage is far below a 50-50 bet. The only teams that made it there last season were clearly trying to tank.

Last edited: