What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Has there actually ever been a time where a star player was up for trade and it dragged out and the team ultimately traded him for less than what they could have gotten?

I always hear narratives about how such and such player's trade value is going to fall if he's not moved soon, but it never seems to actually pan out that way and the team trading the star always gets a massive return after waiting.
Good question... can't think of a great example. Harden they kind of pushed back and they ended up making some moves that didn't cost them per se... the return wasn't amazing there.

Not sure... the bad returns in star trades go back to like Vince Carter, Alonzo Mourning, Charles Barkley... There might be examples of guys that are on the block and didn't get traded that should have... nothing comes to mind.

I hate how the discussion is so focused around the number of picks and there is no real discussion of pick quality.
We kind of have been discussing that. Knicks unprotected picks are the single biggest asset I want... if those get protections or are lessened then the package gets a lot worse.

I don't like Quickley that much. He was pretty bad against the Jazz this past year. I'd go for Toppin and Grimes and maybe take a flyer on Reddish.

Shams said basically the same yesterday and all the responses were sad and angry faces. Now Woj says this today (along with a note about the Jazz having leverage, very likely simply carrying water for the Jazz FO), and everyone is liking this evaluation?

Guess I see why front offices are so happy to cooperate with Woj if one little subtle (speculative and clearly working-for-one-side) remark changes everyone's moods.
I liked it because I appreciate the info...

I don't like Quickley that much. He was pretty bad against the Jazz this past year. I'd go for Toppin and Grimes and maybe take a flyer on Reddish.
IQ and Toppin murdered in meaningless basketball at the end of the season... our next season is full of meaningless basketball... they'd be great.

I hate how the discussion is so focused around the number of picks and there is no real discussion of pick quality.
Problem is (other than saying we want everything unprotected), this discussion gets very detailed very quick. For example, is a 2025 top 20 protected pick worth more than a 2027 top 22 protected pick? Or is Miami unprotected pick in 2023 worth more than a top 5 protected 2025 NY pick? The permutations are endless.

As long as we don't hold up other deals we want to do to further deconstruct the roster... then there really isn't pressure on us... unless they somehow come to their senses and decide to continue a patient growth model... which doesn't seem likely.

As long as we don't hold up other deals we want to do to further deconstruct the roster... then there really isn't pressure on us... unless they somehow come to their senses and decide to continue a patient growth model... which doesn't seem likely.
But isn't this the problem for us? By holding off any other details we're at least trying to maintain plausible flexibility in terms of how happy we'd be to just keep Donovan if our demands aren't satisfied?

But isn't this the problem for us? By holding off any other details we're at least trying to maintain plausible flexibility in terms of how happy we'd be to just keep Donovan if our demands aren't satisfied?
Maybe... the threat of us keeping him gets a little disingenuous. There is also the threat of a Brooklyn deal as long as KD isn't traded... and the threat of Miami. There is also just a general threat of some unknown team stepping in.

The thing that may change a little is if Donovan starts getting antsy and says he only wants to go to NY. We are seeing this with KD a little. Phoenix is like "we know he wants to come here so we ain't putting Bridges or some picks in the deal". Brooklyn is saying "well we just keep him them... peace".

Wanted to see what you guys thought of this idea…What if instead of trading Donovan we keep him, sit him all year (hey it’s how SA got Tim Duncan by sitting Robinson). Then you keep bojan and JC, trade Conley adding another draft pick. So you tank next year while also hopefully keeping JC and Bojans value up and in the meantime develop your rookies heavily. Then hopefully draft a very high pick to pair with Donovan next year. We then trade JC and bojan and the picks we received from the Rudy trade we trade for the best player we can on the market. Wouldn’t this be a faster rebuild than tearing it all down?

Rob Perez on ESPN 700 today:

He thinks Toppin + Quickley + Fournier are essentially guaranteed to be in the deal. He also says it will likely be a historic haul of picks. He thinks that Ainge wants 7 1sts and the Knicks likely oblige. 3 from the Knicks and all 4 of the others they own from other teams.

The deal breaker to him is including Quentin Grimes. He thinks Grimes is the hold up in the deal. He thinks Grimes may be on the best deal in the NBA.

He doesn’t see Rose being included instead of Fournier at all.