What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Even if they have a great 1st half of the season - can you imagine the push there will be in NY to add another superstar in order to compete that year? As long as there seems to be another step to take forward, the pressure will always be on the Knicks to improve.
It depends how well Brunson and RJ play.

I don’t think this plays out that long. My guess is that both sides are more invested in this going through than not. I think they’ll tweak the deal until they cross the finish line. I expect it to be very similar to the deal we got from Minnesota - with a few better pieces.

NO to Robinson. His contract sucks and so does his defense. No long contracts. Jazz is trying to clear the books for players who they have traded for and superstar talent.

Not a negotiator, no idea if Ainge has used this, but wonder how effective this would be as an argument to make to the Knicks if they start to get cold feet in relation to draft picks:

"Well, OK. We understand it may not be the right time for you. We'll just take this as a sign (as I'm sure your fans, players and agents around the League will as well) that you're not confident yet that you're able to sustain long-term excellence as a franchise."

I don’t think this plays out that long. My guess is that both sides are more invested in this going through than not. I think they’ll tweak the deal until they cross the finish line. I expect it to be very similar to the deal we got from Minnesota - with a few better pieces.
I don’t think either side, especially the Jazz, can go in like they’ve done and have it not happen and expect things to be normal afterwards. He’ll have to get traded relatively soon so they can trade everybody else too.

Westbrook and his agent parted ways this morning. Sounds like his agent didn’t want any part of a trade where the Lakers add assets to the deal to get rid of him and then a new team buying him out. He said it diminishes the value of him. Westbrook believes it may be the best path forward for him apparently since they parted because of irreconcilable differences about his path forward.

No better offer. and that Don is not going to sit back and be quiet forever. And could underperform and drop his value. Jazz have some risk in the waiting game.
This is my opinion, not that expressed by the locked on Knicks dude

If we have a deal with Toppin, Grimes, and filler + 3 unprotected FRP and at least 2 protected FRP picks, and they are willing to take back Rudy Gay’s contract, you do that deal, IMO.

If we have a deal with Toppin, Grimes, and filler + 3 unprotected FRP and at least 2 protected FRP picks, and they are willing to take back Rudy Gay’s contract, you do that deal, IMO.
Yes. I’d like the pick swaps in the off years just in case they fall apart or we somehow hit on a star in the draft. . . but yes. That’s more or less what I want from them.

There is a little buzz from Ian Begley that the Jazz might want Barrett but if that leads us to getting more picks without taking him back I’m all for it. I would love to get him though.

There is a little buzz from Ian Begley that the Jazz might want Barrett but if that leads us to getting more picks without taking him back I’m all for it. I would love to get him though.
Sounds like negotiating to me. Or Knicks doing the “we won the deal… we kept RJ”