What's new

Jazz any closer to knowing their 2019 roster configuration?

With regard to Hood, I'm hopefully going to just make one more post:

I am not anti-Hood, I am just wary of him (by the way, what are we to make of him having a performance anxiety issue as a professional athlete?) and whatever price tag might come with him.

The question is who are we going to have in 2019, and unless you're real comfortable throwing a ton of money at Hood and greatly limiting the team's cap that offseason, you can't say that Hood is going to be here.

With regard to Hood, I'm hopefully going to just make one more post:

I am not anti-Hood, I am just wary of him (by the way, what are we to make of him having a performance anxiety issue as a professional athlete?) and whatever price tag might come with him.

The question is who are we going to have in 2019, and unless you're real comfortable throwing a ton of money at Hood and greatly limiting the team's cap that offseason, you can't say that Hood is going to be here.

agree with your reservations regarding Hoodie, but i'd be stunned if they let him go.

He's missed a third of his games from mostly non-contact injuries. Not sure how that's exciting to anybody.

Because you cannot have all max or near max players on your team. Every team is going to have dudes with warts because of this. I'll take Hood's warts over most others because there is a chance they go away all together. Hood as the third or fourth cog on a team is a damn fine piece, especially at an affordable price, which I think we will get.

Going into 2019, I see the following:

Guys still on the roster:
Gobert (two years left on current deal)
Mitchell (still on rookie deal)
Ingles (two years left on current deal)
Hood (contract in the $17 million per year range)
Bradley (still on rookie deal)
O'Neal (two years left on current deal)
Exum (contract in the $12 million per year range)

Gone are:
Rubio (no longer in the plans, maybe traded before summer 2019)
Favors (traded this year or more money elsewhere 2018)
Thabo (possibly retired or move to a contender like the Warriors or Cavs)
JoeJ (retired)
Burks (more money elsewhere)
Udoh (more money elsewhere)

Maybes are:
Jerekbo (depends on how much he wants in summer 2019)
Neto (depends on how much he wants this coming summer)

Sorry got click happy on that one and did a double post.

What i was going to comment on was Udoh. I think if I were the man with the checkbook I would open it up for him. I think he is a great back up and is willing to take a back seat to Gobert. With him out there you have 48 solid minutes of rim protection. I hope we get to keep Favors but if not then Udoh is the answer.

-- Burks may or may not be part of the future. He's become a decent rotation player and has some trade value were he to be included in a deal. If he stays, he's a rotation wing essentially in the role he has now.

-- Hood should be a starter, but is a secondary option on offense rather than the guy you run your offense through. He doesn't adapt very well to changing defenses, doesn't make quick reads and doesn't often get on top of the rim. However, as a release-valve shooter, he's very valuable. Think Dennis Scott, if you're old enough to remember who that is.

-- Exum is still in the Jazz's plans, I believe, due to the progress he made over the summer and in pre-season. He could run a two-guard front with Mitchell sharing the load and switching on defense. Jazz will probably re-sign him on a reasonable deal.

-- The Jazz like rim protection, and Rudy really does erase 8 - 10 points from opposing teams changing their shots or not challenging him in the first place. Rudy is so competitive and seems to like it in Utah. So it would take an awful lot to consider moving him.

-- The front office will look at every scenario.

-- Rubio is inconsistent, but I think the Jazz believe they can play to his strengths. He's a work in progress. Probably no team is going to offer much for Rubio at the moment, so why not try to develop him?

-- The Jazz need an athletic, two-way forward (either forward position), preferably a triple-threat player. That guy with Mitchell and Gobert should be the future, flanked by Exum, Ingles and Hood.

-- Burks may or may not be part of the future. He's become a decent rotation player and has some trade value were he to be included in a deal. If he stays, he's a rotation wing essentially in the role he has now.

-- Hood should be a starter, but is a secondary option on offense rather than the guy you run your offense through. He doesn't adapt very well to changing defenses, doesn't make quick reads and doesn't often get on top of the rim. However, as a release-valve shooter, he's very valuable. Think Dennis Scott, if you're old enough to remember who that is.

-- Exum is still in the Jazz's plans, I believe, due to the progress he made over the summer and in pre-season. He could run a two-guard front with Mitchell sharing the load and switching on defense. Jazz will probably re-sign him on a reasonable deal.

-- The Jazz like rim protection, and Rudy really does erase 8 - 10 points from opposing teams changing their shots or not challenging him in the first place. Rudy is so competitive and seems to like it in Utah. So it would take an awful lot to consider moving him.

-- The front office will look at every scenario.

-- Rubio is inconsistent, but I think the Jazz believe they can play to his strengths. He's a work in progress. Probably no team is going to offer much for Rubio at the moment, so why not try to develop him?

-- The Jazz need an athletic, two-way forward (either forward position), preferably a triple-threat player. That guy with Mitchell and Gobert should be the future, flanked by Exum, Ingles and Hood.

as far as the comparison to 3D goes, Rod probably weighs a third of what that fat **** did

Here’s my NBA2k fantasy idea that makes us contenders next year:

Burks to Chicago for Mirotic.

Favors to Cleveland for Crowder.

Rubio to LAC for Patrick Beverley and trade exception.

I think the first one is debatable, the second one Cleveland would do, and the third not possible (at least not with Rubio).

Gobert / Udoh / Bradley
Mirotic / Jerebko
Crowder / Ingles / Sefolosha
Mitchell / Hood / O’Neale
Exum / Beverley / Neto

This surrounds Gobert with perimeter shooters, not to mention a bunch of BAMFers.

I'm very interested to see how Hood, Exum and Burks all individually play and grow along side Mitchell. Who compliments him best?

I don't know about you guys, but this season has had a plethora of unpredictable story lines that have confused the hell out of me as to what the FO will do (or even should do) moving forward.

So many questions existed prior to the season e.g. how quickly will DM prosper, will Exum justify a lengthy extension or become a RFA target, will Favors return to the old Favs, would Hayward's absence force an eventual rebuild, would Gobert become a top 10 player, would veterans get traded, will Jingles live up to his contract etc etc etc

But even more questions have been added to the mix:
- Is Burks part of the future? Has he significantly increased his trade value?
- Who is Hood? Gunner? Sixth man? Starter? Attractive RFA target?
- Is Exum more likely now in the Jazz plans than ever?
- Should the team be built around Gobert and Mitchell OR just primarily Mitchell?
- Should trading away a potential cornerstone (Gobert) be even uttered or whispered among the FO?
- Is the Rubio thing a failed experiment?

My question is, are we any closer to knowing what the team will look like in the medium term?

Yes and no. DM being a great creator and being this good this fast I think changes things for us.

Finding two building blocks gives us much more certainty, but also creates some ripples as to where do people fit within that structure. Hood and Ingles and good gap fillers. If Hood can stay healthy I think DM and Hood is a great combo. I think Exum works very well with DM and Hood too, but its obviously theoretical.

Gobert is 1000% a keeper... there is some absolute nonsense on this board and the doubters will eventually be called to repentance.

The other stuff is peripheral stuff... the kind of stuff that changes and doesn't really need to be known until later.

Hood at 42% 3pt shooting on 7 attempts. That is a long-term piece you want to keep.

Everything depends on price. 4/60-70... I'll do that. 4/80... getting close but if he plays most of the games from now on I'm cool. 4/90+ I might have to find a replacement.

If I could get a fairly unencumbered 1st (projected from 10-20ish) for him without any bad salary I'd be trading him... if not roll the dice and hopefully there isn't a crazy offer out there. I think there is a 50/50 chance he gets an offer that would make me really nervous. I know there is less money out there, but Dallas, Philly, Chicago, Indiana could all be suitors.

The big question is "Is Donovan Mitchel your starting Point Guard?" Everything else cascades off of that answer.
I think the question is likely "Can Mitchell and Exum be the starting backcourt"

I am really hoping they can be used interchangeably in the backcourt, and be super successful.

I think the question is likely "Can Mitchell and Exum be the starting backcourt"

I am really hoping they can be used interchangeably in the backcourt, and be super successful.

Honestly I think the pairing is great... I think Hood at the two with DM and Ingles (kinda QBing the half court) is going to be good too. I'm just worried that Hood will always struggle with injuries.

Most of the desirable outcomes come back to whether we can find a STRETCHY+PLAYMAKING power forward. Not just stretchy. Those are the ideas I want to hear about.

Agree... I don't know if we can find both doe... Just having a stretchy guy that can attack closeouts a little like Jerebko has made our offense so much more impactful.

I think Royce actually has a shot to provide some of that if we can't find something better.

I think Royce actually has a shot to provide some of that if we can't find something better.

It is crazy you say that because I was thinking the same thing recently. If Royce can continue to develop and Jerekbo can continue to contribute, we might be able to platoon the PF position. If that is our plan, I hope we can draft a PF to groom as the future at the position. There are so many good bigs in this draft.

With that idea, there are so many lineup potentials
Exum, Mitchell, Ingles, Jerekbo, Gobert, Hood 6th man
Mitchell, Hood, Ingles, Jerekbo, Gobert, Exum 6th man
Exum, Mitchell, Hood, Ingles, Gobert

So much of a plan built around a PF platoon comes down to Gobert staying close to 100% for a long time OR we hold onto Udoh long term. And of course Hood and Exum staying healthy.

Most of the desirable outcomes come back to whether we can find a STRETCHY+PLAYMAKING power forward. Not just stretchy. Those are the ideas I want to hear about.

636433453499334160-USATSI-10308065.jpg

I think the first one is debatable, the second one Cleveland would do, and the third not possible (at least not with Rubio).

Gobert / Udoh / Bradley
Mirotic / Jerebko
Exum / Beverley / Neto

This surrounds Gobert with perimeter shooters, not to mention a bunch of BAMFers.

Gobert / Udoh / Bradley
Mirotic / Jerebko
Exum / Beverley / Neto

Exum and JJ for Mirotic