What's new

Jazz are committed to Donovan as cornerstone according to Woj

I think the Jazz are making a big mistake in not getting max value out of Donovan while he can still barely dunk. We're not going to re-tool quickly enough to take advantage of him so what's the point? Are the Jazz scared of losing their fan base?

I think it would be a mistake to trade Donovan Mitchell right now if he is willing to stay.

Patrick Beverley was a brilliant addition. He's an amazing "culture" shifter. Just look at that passion he fueled in Minnesota last year. Vanderbilt's fire helps too.

We should be excited and building instead of tearing down.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I think the Jazz are making a big mistake in not getting max value out of Donovan while he can still barely dunk. We're not going to re-tool quickly enough to take advantage of him so what's the point? Are the Jazz scared of losing their fan base?
I don't disagree that Donovan might have higher value than his skill level would dictate, and as such it could be a good idea to trade him, but what's this stuff about him being on a massive physical decline? He's young, he probably had some ailments last year, which many players have from time to time. I don't think there's any reason to believe Donovan is falling into a decline as a player.

To be a real star, he seriously needs to pick up his defense, and I also believe he needs a bit of a recalibration in terms of team vs individual, but I still have great hopes that can happen. At least the former.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Donovan Mitchell right now if he is willing to stay.

Patrick Beverley was a brilliant addition. He's an amazing "culture" shifter. Just look at that passion he fueled in Minnesota last year. Vanderbilt's fire helps too.

We should be excited and building instead of tearing down.
Agree fully. A year with Beverley might be an excellent driver for instilling some real D in Donovan, and all of a sudden you have a bona fide star player.

Also, tanking sucks. It takes a year out of your life as a basketball fan, because watching games is miserable.

For all we know, the jazz trading Gobert gives Mitchell the mantle of leader and franchise #1 player. Maybe it lights a fire of responsibility to lead the team and he has a career year. The message has been sent. Last year was completely inexcusable. Gobert is gone, the coach is gone. This will be a completely different team lots of new faces. Let’s see how Mitchell responds.

Sometimes being handed the mantle can chang a man. That’s what I’m looking for for Mitchell. Let’s see if he can take the rains and lead this team back to where it needs to be assuming Woj is right and the jazz are building around Mitchell and I’m good with it.

I don't disagree that Donovan might have higher value than his skill level would dictate, and as such it could be a good idea to trade him, but what's this stuff about him being on a massive physical decline? He's young, he probably had some ailments last year, which many players have from time to time. I don't think there's any reason to believe Donovan is falling into a decline as a player.

To be a real star, he seriously needs to pick up his defense, and I also believe he needs a bit of a recalibration in terms of team vs individual, but I still have great hopes that can happen. At least the former.

You and LoPo might be right, and I do think Beverly has shown he is a hard-nosed player, which we could have used the last couple of years. Don's recurring foot issues are a red flag to me. His effort on defense is a red flag to me. I also think he gets one-tracked way too often which hurts on-court team chemistry.

When you factor in the haul we got for Rudy in addition to what we could get for Donovan it just gives us SO much flexibility to build an incredible young team, vs. putting all of our eggs in the Donovan basket.

Agree fully. A year with Beverley might be an excellent driver for instilling some real D in Donovan, and all of a sudden you have a bona fide star player.

Also, tanking sucks. It takes a year out of your life as a basketball fan, because watching games is miserable.

If we get a bunch of picks and some good building pieces for Don there's no reason to tank. Why delay the development?

You and LoPo might be right, and I do think Beverly has shown he is a hard-nosed player, which we could have used the last couple of years. Don's recurring foot issues are a red flag to me. His effort on defense is a red flag to me. I also think he gets one-tracked way too often which hurts on-court team chemistry.

When you factor in the haul we got for Rudy in addition to what we could get for Donovan it just gives us SO much flexibility to build an incredible young team, vs. putting all of our eggs in the Donovan basket.
I completely understand the concern around a Donovan build.

I just feel like the behind the scenes turmoil has been more substantial than people realize. This team hasn't played with joy for a while, and that's so incredibly important. The players didn't buy into Quin's system. It was obvious well before Rudy Gay went public with his comments and never played again. Players were just going through the motions.

Coach Hardy is the most important part of all of this. He fixes us and I don't believe we are far from being where we just were in the standings.

I'm excited. Not scared at all. We are in for good times guys.

If we get a bunch of picks and some good building pieces for Don there's no reason to tank. Why delay the development?
For sure, if we get some players too, that would be great. I haven't watched much of NYK, but I never really warmed that much to what I've seen of Quickley, and certainly not Toppin, but it seems Topping picked up towards the end of the season. I do believe a package around 2/3 of the yougins from Knicks, perhaps Fournier for matching (he's also useful for the next not-tank-probably-not-contender years) and some picks would be a good haul. That, or we roll with Donovan.

View: https://twitter.com/BensHoops/status/1543660605759897600

Butler likes what Hardy brings, at least.

If we hit on our pick next year which could be a top ten pick in what I here is a strong draft, then hit on one of the three other picks from the Gobert, O’Neale trades, and who knows maybe we pick up one or two more picks. Could be a short rebuild.

I completely understand the concern around a Donovan build.

I just feel like the behind the scenes turmoil has been more substantial than people realize. This team hasn't played with joy for a while, and that's so incredibly important. The players didn't buy into Quin's system. It was obvious well before Rudy Gay went public with his comments and never played again. Players were just going through the motions.

Coach Hardy is the most important part of all of this. He fixes us and I don't believe we are far from being where we just were in the standings.

I'm excited. Not scared at all. We are in for good times guys.

This idea that "we can rebuild while remaining competitive" bull**** never works and I'm surprised people keep falling for same damn treadmill of mediocrity.

For all we know, the jazz trading Gobert gives Mitchell the mantle of leader and franchise #1 player. Maybe it lights a fire of responsibility to lead the team and he has a career year. The message has been sent. Last year was completely inexcusable. Gobert is gone, the coach is gone. This will be a completely different team lots of new faces. Let’s see how Mitchell responds.

Sometimes being handed the mantle can chang a man. That’s what I’m looking for for Mitchell. Let’s see if he can take the rains and lead this team back to where it needs to be assuming Woj is right and the jazz are building around Mitchell and I’m good with it.
For what it's worth let's hope he turns into D-Wade. I think what was holding him back was this was always looked at as "Rudy's team" and Don was always in Rudy's Shadow.

Hopefully we get a monster year of Donovan Mitchell next to a guy like Ayton. We might be looking at the next Stockton/Malone super duo if Ayton comes here with a chip on his shoulder and puts up monster numbers with Don.

Hoping it comes to fruition.

It’s great that everyone wants this information out there and it may be that Donovan is here a little while longer. But that doesn’t change that this means everyone wants this information out there and he’s gonna only be here a little while longer.

The Jazz are trying to get a team to spazz and offer the Godfather offer. They may or may not get it, but that’s the play here.

For what it's worth let's hope he turns into D-Wade. I think what was holding him back was this was always looked at as "Rudy's team" and Don was always in Rudy's Shadow.

Hopefully we get a monster year of Donovan Mitchell next to a guy like Ayton. We might be looking at the next Stockton/Malone super duo if Ayton comes here with a chip on his shoulder and puts up monster numbers with Don.

Hoping it comes to fruition.

YES!!!

Maybe they are going to get Ayton or someone else and want to see what Donovan can do without gobert there. Then if we dont win much (I dont think we will) we can trade him next year after putting up huge empty stats. IDK.

I am fine with keeping donovan and fine with trading him. Im one of the few who still really likes Spida Mitchell.

If we hit on our pick next year which could be a top ten pick in what I here is a strong draft, then hit on one of the three other picks from the Gobert, O’Neale trades, and who knows maybe we pick up one or two more picks. Could be a short rebuild.
This is my thinking as well. Picks seem to be able to fetch really good all star level players. We have picks. Maybe we add two more all stars with donovan really soon and get younger and have better defenders and quickly are back to contention. Maybe if all that happens we even keep mitchell happy and he doesn't want to leave.

Ainge has an arsenal to play with already. Even if we keep Donovan. That rudy trade was a sweet haul. Same with the royce trade.