What's new

Jazz are going to be fine.... but

Et tu Brute

why does Quin have a knack for putting players in positions that accentuate their weaknesses, or at least don't maximise their strengths?

Rubio = seemingly is open half the night (surely this is something opposing coaches are happy with right?)

Favors = Is often standing in the corner pretending he is a floor spacer (yea yea I get it - sPaCiNg)

Allen = doesn't get to play because his defense isn't good enough (why was he drafted then if not to be a spark, gunner and shooter)

Exum = I just can't

Jae = allowed to take contested, step-back and off the dribble threes like he is the third splash brother

O'Neale = the 'point guard'

Mitchell = the best 34% volume 3pt shooter in the world

Burks = sits on the bench for extended periods seemingly because of shot variance (but then we all pretend it's cause his 'defense' has subsided)

Ingles = lock him in for 30+ minutes per night (every friggin night)

Quin is a basketball genius. I get it. But sometimes I think he is one of those overthinking type geniuses who has forgotten that the best and most successful game plan might actually involve factoring the players attributes (strengths and weaknesses) when determining the game plan and overall philosophy.

Having said all that - I think the Jazz will get home court. I just wonder if this team could unlock more if it was coached differently.

Wait, are you being serious? You're stating that Quin decides who gets left open, not the opposing coach? Surely you're not that daft?

You can't expect to constantly have Favors and Rubio running pick and roll and leaving Mitchell and Rudy out on the 3 pt line. Or do you want 4 of our dudes packed in the paint? Our problem is pretty simple. Our 3rd and 4th best players (talent wise at least) who demand to start can't play their role effectively when they're not the focal point (can't shoot a frigging basketball wide open in the nba). Rubio suffers even when he's the focal point because he can barely hit a layup every other night. We build the offense around their strengths, Mitchell and Rudy will suffer and we'll be even worse than now.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yes Grayson Allen's defense is garbage atm so yes he isn't effective. Him and Exum are like opposites. If only we could combine them we might have a pretty damn good NBA player.

I agree with Jae, his shooting is pretty bad as is, he shouldn't be allowed so much control but again, when the bench is in, Exum can't do anything so someone's got to try to do something on offense. If we had an actual starting NBA point guard and Rubio's ego could take it he'd be much better here going against bench players, but alas...

You can't expect to constantly have Favors and Rubio running pick and roll and leaving Mitchell and Rudy out on the 3 pt line. Or do you want 4 of our dudes packed in the paint? Our problem is pretty simple. Our 3rd and 4th best players (talent wise at least) who demand to start can't play role player positions effectively (can't shoot a frigging basketball wide open). If we build the offense around their strengths, Mitchell and Rudy will suffer and we'll be even worse than now.

What was the point of bringing in Rubio then? Was it simply to appease Hayward.

It does feel like Rubio and Favors never run a PnR tbh. Feels like that is Ingles' domain.

Tbh, surely benching Rubio and Favors makes sense. I am not saying you need to bring in Dante, could move Mitchell to the 1 and bring in Burks. Provide more ammo on the bench unit.

I feel Dante is currently better suited to a 1st team role. Low usage, change up, defending the best guard more minutes. But personally, I would be happier seeing him having a much higher usage and looking to penetrate every possession on the second unit. Use the foul limit (bonus) as an incentive to get him driving and more free throws. Get him consistently collapsing the paint and dishing. Surround him with Niang, Burks, Allen and Favors.

I would love to see more minutes for this unit: Mitchell, Allen, Ingles, Niang, Gobert. That would give Mitchell and Rudy more space. Allen and Niang are perfect role players. Jazz drop the big anyway, let Gobert clean up some defensive misses.

Reactions: RJF
I know an NAIA head coach that was fairly successful at his level (he won a national title). He said basketball is simple just get more good shots than the other team you should win 95% of your games. Jazz right now are doing just the opposite.

I know an NAIA head coach that was fairly successful at his level (he won a national title). He said basketball is simple just get more good shots than the other team you should win 95% of your games. Jazz right now are doing just the opposite.

We are getting good shots. But they result in air-balls or clanks. So many of our shots are way off it's hard to fathom. And now even layups are hold-your-breath moments. We have about the same team as last year, which makes it especially tough for Quin to figure out what's going on. Our offense is giving us open shots. Our defense is good in half-court. But we SUCK at shooting. Our opponent gets the long rebound and takes advantage. That is the story of our season and I blame Ricky, Donovan, Dante, Jae, Derrick, etc. Basically everyone but Rudy is to blame. Our team has shooter's block and it is weird as hell.

I don't know about that. Our shot distribution look pretty good most nights, we just don't have players who are knocking shots down.

Jae = allowed to take contested, step-back and off the dribble threes like he is the third splash brother

Give the man a break. On every other team, Crowder is a 15min energy player. He's only playing this much min because other so-called rotational players on this team are simply unplayable. Right now he's trying to bring us the productions of Hood, Iso Joe and Jerebko all by himself.

The coach I was referring to said that a player is worthless to him if he can't knock down wide open 15-18 footers. This is small college basketball not the Association. You would think players would have better skills at this level.

The only thing this team is missing is a second scoring threat next to mitchell, so the opposing teams can’t just key on Mitchell
Not only do we need a scorer, but we need to upgrade at pf. Tobias Harris better be at the top of the wish list for DL and the jazz, him signing here would kill two birds with one stone. However if the clippers don’t fall off soon, I don’t see the jazz being able to get him.

naia.lmao. Way more to hoops then that. Come on homey.

hard to blame snyder for anything.... DL deserves some blame here. Snyder was given ingredients to make pan cakes and somehow last year he made filet mignon with it. Look at the roster again,

rudy gobert: 0 offensive moves outside of dunks.
favors: a near ancient relic in the NBA. Can't shoot 3s and has been poor from any kind of range outside of 4 feet.

NOW combine that with 2 pointguards who are piss awful.
rubio: can't shoot, turns it over far too often. Sac announcers said it best last game, don't guard rubio.
exum: 0 moves to create any kind of shot and can't shoot.

Donovan Mitchell: good scorer, but he can't carry the load every night. He's literally the only player on the roster that can create his own shot off the dribble.
Ingles: he's either hungover or on. All our offense depends on ingles to get it going.

Alec burks: decent drive game, but has tons of mental lapses.
Oneal: has been a total dunce, don't even get me started on his piss poor play.

neto: garbage
Grayson: can't defend without fouling, racks up fouls instantly. Had like 5 in 4mins. unreal.

Niang: ehh... not sure what to even say about em.....

Jae Crowder: not bad, either on fire from 3 or completely off. Not the answer at SF, but his contract for his production is very favorable for the jazz.

Actually, the Jazz are getting just as many - if not more - good shots than their opponents. They just have players who can't hit them. And that's 100% on the GM. Quin coaches the players he has. Right now, he has ZERO PG's who can hit the broad side of a gymnasium. He has ZERO PF's who can stretch the floor. Lindsey rewards loyalty at the expense of quality. If these players KNEW their jobs depended on shooting well, maybe they'd be in the gym shooting 3's and FT's instead of spending leisurely vacations with each other. It's heartwarming to hear stories of "what I did on my summer vacation" from a grade schooler. From an NBA player, I want to hear what the hell they added to their game.

But I take some of that back. Quin should be holding 3hr practices with nothing but FT's and 3's. Nevermind the defense right now. Jazz' main problem is just hitting shots.

Outside of Mitchell, and probably Ingles (he's the heart and soul of the team), if I were Lindsey, I'd let rumors fly about everyone else on the team. And I include Gobert. He's so one dimensional I'd consider trading him near his peak. Wake these guys up to the fact that basketball is a business, not a family. If you don't produce, your job will be taken by someone who wants it more.

Last edited: