What's new

Jazz Draft Jared Butler

And again the front office has no clue what our needs are.

I'm assuming they are letting Mike walk. Hopefully flipping favors and Niang (or whatever else) to address our actual needs. Maybe one day, after Mitchell leaves maybe, they will recognize we need a strong perimeter defender who can hang with the glut of big wings that now dominate the NBA. One of which, of course, we do not have.
This was actually a great pick and move.

We're back to drafting point guards after a random center pick last year.
We need a viable backup point guard, especially if Joe is going to be traded. Long defensive wings, as well as some more minutes at PG for when Mike is out, or to lessen his minutes. They did fine, and picked up a couple 2nd round picks they can throw into trades.

Yeah especially if you don't even try.
The Jazz drafted a playable player. Got 2 extra 2nd round picks, and saved around $4 million dollars by drafting him where they did. Who would you have proposed they draft to fix the defensive wing issues? Because I’m gonna say this draft went just fine and a lot better than last years. Zanick saved 4 million and got 2, 2nd round picks just to draft the guy they wanted at 30, at 40. By the way, his defense is also pretty decent.

Nah… he’s too good of a shooter and has an incredible handle… may not be a burner but he has the ball on a string so he can get where he needs to go. Good defender… just an all around smart good basketball players.
I hope you are right, but if he was a sure thing he wouldn't have been on the board at 40.

He's gonna love playing with Rudy. A snippet from Sam Vecenie's scouting report

Out of ball screens, there might not be anyone better in this class at hunting the pull-up 3. If you go under the screen, the ball is going up. The big defender has to play somewhat aggressively on him, otherwise he’s going to pull. Few players are better at finding open looks behind ball screens. Baylor often had its screeners stay at the mesh point for an extra second, just to see if Butler could maneuver his way behind the screen and work his defender into the screener’s body in order to get a clean look at the rim. If a defender goes over, Butler is also excellent at snaking the ball screen and hunting from the midrange. There is no wasted movement in his motions, footwork or handle. He’s always probing.

Some things:
-We still don't know if Conley is gonna re-sign. So this is just good.
-Assuming Conley DOES come back, Butler is gonna have a path to playing time since Conley's hammy is gonna need constant pampering and regular load management.
-If Butler shows out (and neither JC or Conley suddenly suck ***), the Jazz could potentially move one of them for salary relief/assets/fits of greater need. With particular regard to Conley, this preserves the Jazz's asset of Conley without being held captive by it. In other words; this is a better scenario of preserving the asset of Conley if they wanted to move on (assuming he doesn't become negative value).

And again the front office has no clue what our needs are.

I'm assuming they are letting Mike walk. Hopefully flipping favors and Niang (or whatever else) to address our actual needs. Maybe one day, after Mitchell leaves maybe, they will recognize we need a strong perimeter defender who can hang with the glut of big wings that now dominate the NBA. One of which, of course, we do not have.
Disagree. Our "needs" consist of trying to figure out how to defend teams playing 5-out with Rudy on the floor. Nothing changes, in the playoffs, unless we can correct that sole issue.

I hope you are right, but if he was a sure thing he wouldn't have been on the board at 40.
I mean his heart condition is the only reason he didn’t go top 20… he was mocked late lotto early in the process and @Saint Cy of JFC has him top 12-13 on his big board. He’s quite talented… mvp of the final four and led his team to a near perfect season… this ain’t yo moms #40 pick.

Disagree. Our "needs" consist of trying to figure out how to defend teams playing 5-out with Rudy on the floor. Nothing changes, in the playoffs, unless we can correct that sole issue.
Yes and the single biggest hindrance to that is the fact that we expect Rudy to make up for 4 other guys playing matador defense on the perimeter or bring too small so they can't bother big scoring wings. I can't believe people can't see this? All anyone looks at was a single play where Rudy got caught in no man's land and they make the stupid assumption "see Rudy can't guard the perimeter"... NOPE HE CANNOT WHEN HE HAS TO MAKE UP FOR THE ****** DEFENSE FOR 4 OTHER PLAYERS AT THE SAME TIME.

Yes and the single biggest hindrance to that is the fact that we expect Rudy to make up for 4 other guys playing matador defense on the perimeter or bring too small so they can't bother big scoring wings. I can't believe people can't see this? All anyone looks at was a single play where Rudy got caught in no man's land and they make the stupid assumption "see Rudy can't guard the perimeter"... NOPE HE CANNOT WHEN HE HAS TO MAKE UP FOR THE ****** DEFENSE FOR 4 OTHER PLAYERS AT THE SAME TIME.
Butler is actually a great defender… moves well, smart, and stays attached to his guy… great on close outs as well.

Remember in the clips series when no one stayed in front of Jackson? This guy has a chance to do that.

Remember how no one could dribble or create except Donovan? Butler can do that… he shoots the **** out of the ball… he also has a tight handle… like maybe best in the draft. He could be a nightmare to guard in pick and roll once he gets established.

How does this get us closer to beating the clippers exactly?
We were never gonna get the guy that solved our achilles heal in this draft and ready for this upcoming season. That was always trade/free agency.

At the very least, the Jazz got any young talent worth a god damn which they desperately need and some marginal assets that it turns out are actually worth something. That might not matter next year, but we need to be thinking about getting some dudes next to Donovan on his timeline before he forces his way out.

TLDR; you celebrate wins when you get them. Tonight was YUGE.

I'm not saying this dude is gonna be better than Donovan but I'm more excited about him than I was Donovan on draft night 2017. I wasn't sold on Donovan's jumper or his ability to run an offense. Butler looks NBA ready on both fronts out of the box or damn close.

Anyone that wants to knock the pick go out and watch the national championship game first… then ask yourself who the best player on the floor was… then go look up where the other guys were drafted… TIA.