What's new

Jazz get TPE for Boozer

Has Boozer signed the contract yet? Now that James is out of the picture for Chicago, would it be better to frontload Boozer's deal with big extensions for Noah & Rose within the next few years? If so, that could give the Jazz up to a $17.4MM TPE (if my math is right). That would give us a few more options.

I believe the TPE is for Boozer's LAST year's salary, not for his NEXT year's salary.

This may have been posted, but it's pulled from John Lund's blog on 1280. A list of possible bigs for the Jazz where the TPE would work. Besides Bass at 4 mil, the Jazz should just look at those players that could fill a center spot. Honestly, everyone besides Murphy (Okur #2), Jefferson (Millsap #2) and Chandler (injured all the time) would be appealing and add something different to the lineup.

Tyson Chandler $11.7M
Marcin Gortat $5.85
Al Jefferson $12
Chris Kaman $10.4
Emeka Okafor $10.8
Joel Pryzbilla $6.8
Hasheem Thabeet $4.5M
Brandon Bass $4M
Troy Murphy $11.7M
Tyrus Thomas $4.7 2009 salary (Free agent)
Luis Scola $3.2M 2009 salary (Free agent)

Who is on the radar? What do you guys think about:

1.) Marc Gasol
2.) Brad Miller
3.) Tyson Chandler
4.) Marcin Gortat
5.) Danny Granger
6.) Al Harrington

1) Marc Gasol - Boozer TPE, their 1st, & Koufos???
2) Brad Miller - Can only use the MLE but we need to save that for Matthew's contract. I love Miller in our system btw but he'd prob sign w/ MIA
3) Tyson Chandler - I think i was the first person to suggest Tyson & they may do this depending on their financial issues but if they want a player & not just relief then... our TPE for Eddie Curry, then swap for Tyson
4) Marcin Gortat - I'd rather see what Fes can do cause I really think what we've seen in Gortat is just a more polished version of Fes
5) Danny Granger - NO CHANCE
6) Al Harrington - ehh... this would prob be in a S&T, then using our TPE. Yes we need another scorer but I do see CJ stepping up & I'd rather sign a true C or gamble on Morrison (Hayward backup SG, Morrison backup SF, AK backup PF).

If ATL signs Shaw, Al Horford??? Similar offer from above for Gasol (TPE, 1st, & Koufos)????

Last edited:
Here's what Hollinger thinks the Jazz will do with the TPE.

Damon I don't think they'll use it til next year's draft. They still have a 6M TPE from the Harpring trade last year, and they have their full midlevel exception. Only way Boozer exception comes in is if they identify a $10M player they want that another team wants to dump -- again, Okafor comes to mind -- but the issue for Jazz is that such a move would put them precariously close to tax. That's why I think it's better kept til draft day next year, can use to take on salary from teams trying to generate 2011 cap space.

https://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dimelive-100709/daily-dime-live

Hollinger is wrong. The Jazz will use it this offseason. One of them they will. They definitely feel the pressure from Deron to make it look like they are trying to work with that they have to make a competitive team. Going into next season status quo would be moronic.