What's new

Jazz may stand pat

Jack Strop

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...-team-might-end-up-the-same-as-last-year.html

The Utah Jazz could be pretty much the same team in 2018-19 as it was last season, but the franchise won’t be afraid to make improvements even if it puts them into NBA’s luxury tax territory.

That’s the message Utah GM Dennis Lindsey had Thursday in a wide-ranging interview at the Utah Jazz basketball campus.

“I think we’re in a good position where we haven’t cornered ourselves economically relative to the performance of our team, and that should give us a few options to consider,” he said. “My best guess is the option that we’ll ultimately consider, is bringing the team back intact, but I don’t know what other things are going to come our way.”

Some other good stuff in the article, too.

Can't say I disagree with Lindsey. Of course, that depends on what Favors decides and the market for Exum.
1. Give Crowder and O'Neale a chance to earn more minutes with improved shooting. Defense is already there for both
2. Better opportunities may be available at the trade deadline or 2019 to add an impact player. May not want to add guys like Bjelica, Hezonja, etc. that would limit cap space in summer of 2019.

I've though this is what would happen for a while. Jazz have 40 million on expiring contracts for either the trade dealine, or 2019 FA

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...-team-might-end-up-the-same-as-last-year.html

Can't say I disagree with Lindsey. Of course, that depends on what Favors decides and the market for Exum.
1. Give Crowder and O'Neale a chance to earn more minutes with improved shooting. Defense is already there for both
2. Better opportunities may be available at the trade deadline or 2019 to add an impact player. May not want to add guys like Bjelica, Hezonja, etc. that would limit cap space in summer of 2019.
Keeping Favors and Exum limits 2019 cap space a hell of a lot more than signing Bjelica would.

Keeping Favors and Exum limits 2019 cap space a hell of a lot more than signing Bjelica would.

Depending on the deals, not much. Assumine MLE for X and roughly the same deal for Favors, we still have 30m give or take. I still think the Jazz will go after BJelly or Mario if the deals are good enough. Lindsey was smart not to go ******* in free agency in 2016. I keep in mind too that this core ripped nearly everything apart in the 2nd half of the season and injuries didn't help our series with Houston.

I'm fine with this. We looked amazing the last two months of the season and without Rubio, were still pretty competitive in the Rox series. I've said this a few times and I'll say it again. If we get:

1) A slightly more efficient Mitchell
2) A slightly more efficient Crowder--don't need his Celts year of 40% from 3 but 37% would be cool
3) Rubio's shooting we saw the last four months
4) A healthy Sef
5) Faves and Exum on trade friendly deals, which I think is very possible given the market
6) Get a solid contributor in the draft (8th man type)

...and are healthy, we can make the Conference Finals next season. And somewhere around 54-56 wins would be my guess. The year after would be our ****ing go for it year.

Agree with that. But if you let Favors and Exum go, you may as well just use Jerebko, Sefolosha and Crowder at the 4. Bjelica is not going to move the needle very much and whatever he costs just eats up 2019 cap.

Personally, I don't think the Jazz have a chance in hell of attracting a top-tier free agent in 2019. It's just wet dreams for any of you to think about Kwahi, Klay, etc. The best chance the Jazz have of obtaining any significant player is via trade. Jazz may have Burks, Sefolosha, Jerebko and Udoh as expirings. Hopefully some combination of this year's pick, O'Neale, Bradley, Exum, Crowder, and next year's pick are viewed as desirable assets for a team rebuilding or wanting to get rid of salaries for 2019. Thats where I think Lindsey will find a significant player. And making that kind of trade, along with keeping Favors and Exum puts the Jazz well over the cap, but could still fit under the tax threshold.

I’d be very content with some minor deals around the edges that landed us Aminu and Beverley.

I doubt Bev wants to come off the bench. And why would the Clips want to trade him? Why would the Blazers trade us Aminu?

The future is way bright bros.....
It’s like every time someone suggests a trade or who to sign or whatever I always like the sound of it..... cause in almost everyone’s scenario we still have gobert, jingles, and Spida.
Everything else is icing on the cake.

Keep favors, replace him, keep X, replace him, trade Rubio, or O’Neal, or draft picks for so and so. It all ends up looking pretty good in the end cause we have a very good core and a great coaching staff.

Great time to be a fan.

It's gonna make for a really boring offseason if we just completely stand pat. I hope we do something, even if it's something small like signing Bjelica.

So the kak has been frosted.

Favors is gone. The question is who takes his spot? New Orleans might help us with Niko!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Favors is gone. The question is who takes his spot? New Orleans might help us with Niko!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
AD will be eligible for a supermax extension in 2019, IINM. Maybe the Pelicans don't re-sign Cousins and decide Niko will be a better bargain at the 4. Probably up to Davis on re-signing DMC. But I just don't see them giving up Mirotic next year, even if they sign Cousins. All they need to do is find someone to take Hill or Ajinca off their hands and they can get under the tax.