What's new

Jazz Mid-Range Money Ball?

checkbookdoc

Does it seem like the Jazz are hunting mid-range shots more than in the past? For example: Mitchell seems to take more pull-ups now, Clarkson seems to have the green light to work just outside the restricted area, Bojan has ran a lot of post-ups recently, and of course Mudiay is making a living on the mid-range.

So, do you agree that the Jazz have increased the emphasis on mid-range this year? If so, do you think it is personnel driven or a strategic decision to integrate more mid-range into the offensive playbook?

I love seeing our guys getting comfortable in the mid-range because I think those shots are the most difficult to deny in all of basket ball, and being able to consistently hit them is a game changer in the playoffs (e.g., Kawhi last year).

It's a mix of being personnel driven and strategic. Mudiay has a strong midrange jumper so if he finds a good look he's taking it. Same goes for Donovan. With Clarkson and Bogdanovic in the midrange its more about exploiting a mismatch when they see it.

I doubt there is anything play driven to get these shots, but Mudiay/Mitchell/Clarkson definitely hunt specific mid-range shots.