What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I would LOVE Nance, but how do we get him?
Bogey.

I feel like the Jazz could get more out of the deal if the Cavs are trying to skip steps on their rebuild, which would be the only reason for them doing this move anyway.

Bogey.

I feel like the Jazz could get more out of the deal if the Cavs are trying to skip steps on their rebuild, which would be the only reason for them doing this move anyway.

Not totally true. They need shooting as a team BADLY and they need it to help the young guards develop. They could also use a vet who isn’t pouty as **** like Love. I say that respectfully because I know he has mental health issues but a vet with a different temperament might help.

Make that move, overpay another vet who can shoot and lead, and draft a big (Mobley, presumably) and you’re building something, without winning too much too soon.

I would LOVE Nance, but how do we get him?
If DL’s guys have half as much value as we claim his genius is, we could sign-and-trade them for Nance. What a steal for Cleveland.

This is our problem. A complete lack of vision. I recommended Clarkson over two years ago. People looked at his as a chucked and loser…since the Cavs are. Playing on losing teams is ****ing toxic. Hell, just look at Kevin Love’s be heavier this year. Guys give half-hearted effort way too often, don’t fight for position, don’t box out, the list goes on and on. The list of guys in this league who have Nance’s length (7’1” wingspan), frame (wiry but fairly strong), and ability to shoot the 3 (at this age nonetheless) can be counted on probably one hand. Throw him around winners like Donnie and Rudy and you suddenly have a really good ****ing two way player.
Jordan did make some adjustments to his game that changed him... basically instead of long twos he started taking threes... but yeah sometimes these guys are able to shine when the system and personnel magnify their strengths.

Let me play Devil’s advocate. If we trade Bogey and lose Conley, we’re losing over 35 points a game. And Rudy sucks on offense and Ingles is older every year.

Sort of terrifying.

Not totally true. They need shooting as a team BADLY and they need it to help the young guards develop. They could also use a vet who isn’t pouty as **** like Love. I say that respectfully because I know he has mental health issues but a vet with a different temperament might help.

Make that move, overpay another vet who can shoot and lead, and draft a big (Mobley, presumably) and you’re building something, without winning too much too soon.
I think a lot of it depends on what they do in the draft. They also are said to be shopping Sexton. If they took Suggs I could see maybe Bogey is an option for them. I still think they very much prefer Nance to Bogey. If they took Green then the wing starts to get crowded if they have Bogey.

OKC is the trade partner we need to be in constant contact with. They are the Favs dumping ground if there is one. They also have some really interesting pieces. I am having a hard time with some of them because there was so much garbage time its tough to know what is real. The guys I'm looking at:

Lu Dort - obviously a guy we would love. I doubt he's available unless you gave them a great asset.

Kenrich Williams - I don't believe he is a 45% three point shooter at all... but i believe he does all the other stuff we'd want out of a combo forward. I think he might be a 35% three shooter on low volume and that might be enough for him to be a really valuable addition.

Isaiah Roby - Shouts to @Saint Cy of JFC this was one of his dudes iirc. People talking about Nance and rightfully so... you have to pay a mint we don't have to get a guy like Nance... but what if you find the next Nance (maybe not exactly but some of the things we want are there). Roby is a similar build. Shot 29% from three last year so there is some work to do there... I'd buy now before he shoots 35% from three and the cost goes up to the moon.

Darius Miller also had a great comeback season for them. Would snag that guy in free agency for sure... likely a minimum dude.

It might be wild but I'd consider doing something like Favs and a protected first in 2024 (It is top-10 protected but becomes two seconds if it doesn't convey) for Williams and Roby. Roby becomes the 4/5 we need. Williams takes up the 3/4 minutes. Quin then has the tools to try some different defensive schemes.

We get off of some money so we can keep Mike... get some youngish guys on the come up and hope they continue to rise, but that provide cheap labor/flexibility.

Let me play Devil’s advocate. If we trade Bogey and lose Conley, we’re losing over 35 points a game. And Rudy sucks on offense and Ingles is older every year.

Sort of terrifying.
If we trade Bogey, we need to make sure we are bringing something back. But yes, losing Conley for nothing would be really bad.

OKC is the trade partner we need to be in constant contact with. They are the Favs dumping ground if there is one. They also have some really interesting pieces. I am having a hard time with some of them because there was so much garbage time its tough to know what is real. The guys I'm looking at:

Lu Dort - obviously a guy we would love. I doubt he's available unless you gave them a great asset.

Kenrich Williams - I don't believe he is a 45% three point shooter at all... but i believe he does all the other stuff we'd want out of a combo forward. I think he might be a 35% three shooter on low volume and that might be enough for him to be a really valuable addition.

Isaiah Roby - Shouts to @Saint Cy of JFC this was one of his dudes iirc. People talking about Nance and rightfully so... you have to pay a mint we don't have to get a guy like Nance... but what if you find the next Nance (maybe not exactly but some of the things we want are there). Roby is a similar build. Shot 29% from three last year so there is some work to do there... I'd buy now before he shoots 35% from three and the cost goes up to the moon.

Darius Miller also had a great comeback season for them. Would snag that guy in free agency for sure... likely a minimum dude.

It might be wild but I'd consider doing something like Favs and a protected first in 2024 (It is top-10 protected but becomes two seconds if it doesn't convey) for Williams and Roby. Roby becomes the 4/5 we need. Williams takes up the 3/4 minutes. Quin then has the tools to try some different defensive schemes.

We get off of some money so we can keep Mike... get some youngish guys on the come up and hope they continue to rise, but that provide cheap labor/flexibility.

Dort also a Saint Cy dude

In on Favors for Roby.

Sign Batum to full MLE. If we whiff on that, sign Taurean Prince.

He is. No sense in even mentioning him. I doubt we could even get Roby. I’d be content with Favors for nothing. A 2nd would be awesome.
In my deal I was sending Favs and a 2024 first (protected) for Roby and Williams. I think they would do that deal imo. They have infinity cap space. I think there are other guys that they are prioritizing and they have another 3 first this year plus two very good seconds... so I think they'd cash in on some of their guys to get future liquid assets. Favs is a good vet for them.

I don't really know how the Jazz could get it done, but I think moving Favors is an absolute must. There are so many viable big man that can be had for dirt cheap. Especially since they drafted Azubuike. It's time to test his value. If you draft a Center in the 1st round at minimum he should be a viable backup.

I don't really know how the Jazz could get it done, but I think moving Favors is an absolute must. There are so many viable big man that can be had for dirt cheap. Especially since they drafted Azubuike. It's time to test his value. If you draft a Center in the 1st round at minimum he should be a viable backup.
I think it’s doable but maybe not for straight space saving this year. Will require sweeteners we don’t have to dump him into someone’s space.

Not having that contract would clear a ton of problems.

I agree with those who say Clarkson is probably our most tradable asset, but if we move him for perimeter D, where in the hell is our bench scoring gonna come from? And if we trade both Bogey and Clarkson to address the deficiencies that lead to the premature end of our season, we’re just creating other deficiencies that will see us make yet another 2nd round playoff exit which will certainly add to the current Donovan Mitchell narrative.

The Jazz are in a real pickle. It really seems like their best option if they hope to contend for a title next season is to talk Conley into staying and trying to add a perimeter defender while keeping as much of the current core in place. Then pray everybody is healthy come playoff time. With their current lack of assets, it seems the only other option is wholesale changes to the roster via trades and then you’re left hoping the reshaped roster can contend before Donovan gets too frustrated.