What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

LOL, unique idea. Now add a time machine to that plan and you have something.

it must be nice writing off-season articles for the Jazz… lots of copy and paste in the needs section.

The one consistent name that keeps coming up is Batum… that’s the guy I think they use the taxpayer MLE on. I’m sure Rudy puts the recruiting push on him and we give him 3/19M with a player option on the final year.

Yeah they also traded Bledsoe and Hill with two extra first round pick swaps. Imagine if we did that.

Conley wouldn’t have missed any games if they let Donovan play Game 1 which we then sweep and him pulling his hammy doesn’t happen in Game 5 because there is no Game 5. Like we are seriously going to rag on a guy for getting injured? Look at Chris Paul for an example. Guess we shouldn’t want him because he always gets injured.
There is no guarantee that he wouldn't have tweaked the hamstring anyway. Odds are it was held together by old Velcro.

Dame is a better player in the shorter vacuum. Your roster is there, you have a chance to take a major punch and you’re rebuilding regardless. If you can have the better player during that punch, you go get the better player. Dame is an MVP level player who is amazing in clutch situations. Dame is why you do it. PS, if you don’t go get Dame, someone else will, and if he ends up somewhere that’s a contender, your window closes as well.
In a one year window they might take half the season to figure **** out.

What team is trading for Dame and becomes better than the current crop of contenders. Unless Denver puts up Murray and porter for Dame there really isn’t one. Lakers, Suns, Clips, Nets don’t really have a package to offer.

Meanwhile Donovan’s changing his Twitter background pic of him out of a Jazz uniform to fuel one eyes speculation haha99BD2A8F-BC6C-49A1-97E3-A62C816AE66F.jpeg

I understand what some of you are saying. I don’t listen to anything oneye says because he blatantly dislikes Mitchell so he would jump at trading him in a second.

In the land of reality, this is how you get Dame Lillard:

#1 Mike Conley wants to go to a team that doesn't have cap space. We trade him and get draft assets.

#2 We add a decent vet or two with our exceptions.

#3 After free agency, Dame demands a trade and we are on his list of preferred destinations.

#4 We pull off a 3 team deal where Rudy goes to a third team, Dame comes to us, and the assets from the third team and the Conley deal go to Portland.

Note: Bojan or Clarkson might also be included in the Dame deal or their own deals to address defense elsewhere on the roster.

The whole thing is built around Dame and Don with quality role players around. Like an improved version of Phoenix.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

We aren’t winning anything close to a chip with Dame/Don and no Rudy.

Don is substantially better than CJ but in this scenario you’re still starting 2 small dudes in the back court, this time without Rudy as a backstop.

Lots of 143-138 losses…..

Don is substantially better than CJ but in this scenario you’re still starting 2 small dudes in the back court, this time without Rudy as a backstop.

I think if we added a center like Theis to Favors and Doke, we would have a solid center rotation. We would still need another small ball center to go with Theis.

All depends on who we get back in trades too. And who we sign in free agency. Who we could trade Bojan or Clarkson for.

If the Jazz want to make a splash this offseason and actually change some things up Zanik should figure out how to get Collins
Don and Collins are really close. If Atlanta doesn't want to pay a certain number, we just have to meet it then figure out a trade. Probably has to include a 3rd team.

I think if we added a center like Theis to Favors and Doke, we would have a solid center rotation. We would still need another small ball center to go with Theis.

All depends on who we get back in trades too. And who we sign in free agency. Who we could trade Bojan or Clarkson for.

It's astonishing how anyone could undervalue Rudy as much as you do. Truly astonishing.

Here’s an interview from Andy today that basically says yes, the Jazz are going to do everything Donovan wants. It will be interesting how far and deep they go with it. You have to be careful in letting one guy become your entire organization. Andy basically says that the front office and everything will be shaped to make him happy, whether that comes directly from him or indirectly from his agent and Wade:

Don and Collins are really close. If Atlanta doesn't want to pay a certain number, we just have to meet it then figure out a trade. Probably has to include a 3rd team.

Collins is for sure gone from Atlanta, I would love the Jazz to get him, but I don’t see how they get him.

I agree, to an extent. DM and Dame in a playoff series would be an absolute nightmare for opposing coaches. One of the reasons many Jazz fans freaked out when they drafted Udoka is that you can cobble together decent big men in today’s NBA for not a lot of money. Yes, trading Rudy alters the landscape of how the Utah Jazz play Defensively, but as of right now, that awesome Defensive identity gets us bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs every year. If you’re telling me I could have Dame and DM on the same team at the cost of losing Rudy, I say yes before you’re even done with your proposal and immediately start figuring out a way to make a platoon of guys like Favors. Udoka, and a Plumlee-type player work at the Center position. Right now, teams can double Dame and most the time get away with throwing different looks at CJ. CJ will make you pay some of the time, but he’s an oft injured player who can’t get to the rack nearly as good as Dame or DM and he’s never shown the ability to take over games with any sort of consistency. If you throw a double at Dame or DM, the other is absolutely going to cook you. Badly.

I’m probably in the land of make believe, but I think Utah could pull off a deal for Dame without moving Rudy, but a few things would have to happen. As previously mentioned, the first domino is Conley wanting to go to a contender that can’t afford him. The Jazz pull a sign and trade for as many desirable assets as possible. Then you need a 3rd and maybe even a 4th team to get in on a Portland deal. Clarkson and Bogey are great shooters who can go for 30+ on any given night. That’s still in high demand for a lot of NBA teams. If Utah were to make anybody on the roster available minus DM and Rudy, along with a few unprotected picks, I think Portland could get enough value back from multiple teams to begrudgingly grant Dame’s wishes to play elsewhere.

Is it a pipe dream? Absolutely. But if it were to happen, a starting line-up of Dame, DM, Royce, Udoka, and Ingles and a bench full of minimum contract ring chasers gets you to the Finals without a doubt

Just don't let Donovan make draft picks anymore ( Grayson Allen) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lmao yes we should let the front office with picks like Udoka. Allen is actually a decent player. I didn’t know Donovan drafted him. Maybe we should let him draft again.

This wasn't proven. If Chris Paul was hurt for the playoffs and the suns got bounced then you could say that the suns gm cannot build a great team.

If the jazz had got Torrey Craig and Tucker instead of niang and Matt Thomas and the jazz lost in the playoffs with no Conley then we could still be criticizing the jazz moves.

Sometimes you need more than great general managing. Sometimes you need some luck too. The jazz didn't get that luck on the playoffs. Opposite in fact

What if we shop bogey, Clarkson, etc for some starting level perimeter defense and then next year in the playoffs we get bounced cause we can't get a bucket when it counts? Do you say, well the jazz did everything right and everything I asked for and it didn't work. I was wrong. Or do you just criticize something else?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
No, I give ‘em credit for taking a risk and trying something new.

I’m expecting a blow-up or at least a major pivot of some kind next offseason unless we advance to at least the conference finals. If we tweak the starting lineup and rotation a bit and it doesn’t work, I’d just say “well, it didn’t work out, but at least we took a risk and tried something we thought could have made us better. And we’re exactly where I thought we’d be anyway—blowing it up. At least we tried.”

Also, if we trade Bogey and lose in the second round next year, there’s no way to evaluate if the “Jazz were right” or not, because we very well may have lost even with Bogey. We’d never know.

If we’re talking luck, an underdiscussed point is that our #1 seed was the product of a whole lot of luck and circumstance, including other teams suffering dramatic injuries during our stretch run, not playing other top teams at full strength and picking up easy wins, and being far enough ahead in the standings and having a weak enough schedule to end the season to keep the #1 seed despite Don’s injury.

The reality is, we struggled against top teams at full strength and we struggled against ANY teams with good athleticism and length (WINLESS against the Suns and T’Wolves, two athletic teams on both ends of the spectrum).

In the playoffs, we struggled in every game save 1 against the 9th place Memphis Grizzlies, and struggled in every game against the Clippers. Had Don not gone nuclear, these playoffs would have been extremely embarrassing, not just disappointing.

There are serious deficiencies in the length and athleticism of this team. Aside from Don and Rudy, every other member of the team is average to below average athletically for their position (and even Rudy really struggles with functional athleticism). This past season was tons of fun, but you’ve gotta see these issues.

No, because somehow you think you can throw in Theis in the center rotation and be fine. They would be absolutely hideous on D.
We would be so horrifically bad defensively if not for Rudy. Royce is the only other capable guy, and he is just above average defensively, nothing special.

Unless we are picking up other elite defensive pieces in the Rudy trade and redoing a lot of the rest of the roster, I don’t think we’d even be a playoff team.

There are serious length, athleticism, and defensive holes in our roster. It’s obvious. Rudy covers sooooo many sins. He just can’t be in 5 places at once when a team throws out 5 guys that can all beat our other guys off the dribble and can all shoot the three ball. It doesn’t help that he doesn’t have the offensive skill to punish small ball (he is a valuable offensive player, but is totally dependent on the pick and roll and neutered by switching), but skillwise, Rudy just is who he is.

Adding a few vets with length that can play situationally just isn’t gonna be enough, IMO. We need length and athleticism in the starting lineup and main rotation playing night in and out with Rudy, Don, and Mike, IMO.

I could be wrong, but don’t think I am. If we can’t add that via trade, I think we’re colossally ****ed.

Last edited: