What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

So, with the room we have to maneuver, we need to acquire more established defenders.... but nvm it doesn’t reallllly matter emmk?

It’s not one thing or the other. The biggest problem for me is Quin’s coaching and the defensive principles and habits he establishes. These minor moves are important but ultimately won’t make much of a difference until Quin changes his approach.

I don’t see the confusion with identifying some changes/needs as more important than the others.

It’s not one thing or the other. The biggest problem for me is Quin’s coaching and the defensive principles and habits he establishes. These minor moves are important but ultimately won’t make much of a difference until Quin changes his approach.

I don’t see the confusion with identifying some changes/needs as more important than the others.
Look, you’re preaching to the choir. If anything, your takes this offseason have a greater resemblance to those that you were sparring with last offseason. Or, at least as far as I can tell. Your mope is the same, doe.

Look, you’re preaching to the choir. If anything, your takes this offseason have a greater resemblance to those that you were sparring with last offseason. Or, at least as far as I can tell. Your mope is the same, doe.

I don’t even know my takes from last season :D

I do know that the Clippers series really made me question Quin more than I ever have. Historical failures will change a man lol.

just be grateful that we actually have a defensive principle.

Tough to do when your third best defender on the team is the 6'1 Mike Conley, whose deal expires in a few days. We hire Quin to coach players, not to cast some magic spell on a bunch of non-defenders to make them defend at high level.

****. He's almost done it with Niang, only for him to get completely exposed and exploited in playoffs.

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope for John Collins.

Bojan and Clarkson for Collins. Saves us $3+ million. Gives us a long term core piece.

It would require an additional dump trade of Favors if we want any hope of keeping Conley, but that core would be incredible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

If Conley leaves for nothing, Bojan for Rozier is about as perfect as we could expect to get. Rozier would add a much needed grit to this team.

Rozier
Don
Joe
Royce
Rudy
JC
Favors
Doke

The MLE, BAE and minimum choices would be so crucial because we would be thinner than Bones Hyland in middle school.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Bojan and Clarkson for Collins. Saves us $3+ million. Gives us a long term core piece.

It would require an additional dump trade of Favors if we want any hope of keeping Conley, but that core would be incredible.

this sounds like the type of move Danny Ainge would do. not sure about JZ, aka DL's sidekick.

But i like the idea of it. Get John Collins then immediately go grab Malik Monk as JC's replacement. Same exact type of heat check player who can get you a bunch of buckets off the bench. Then all of a sudden we have a young team again structured to compete for the next three or four years instead of becoming finished business in two.

I’m still holding out hope that Ryan gets my resume and gives me the GM job… John Collins ain’t walking through that door.

Just figured I’d throw this into the thread. It’s from a couple days ago, but I’m just getting caught up on some weekly interviews. This is Andy Larsen, at about the 9 minute market, Andy mentions Donovan’s been putting a lot of pressure on the Jazz FO to improve behind the scenes. He’s talking about it in relation to how Giannis won his title, and how Dame in Portland has been getting impatient. Dames been in Portland for 9 years, Giannis just won his first in year 8. Most greats don’t win their first title until years 7,8,9, or 10, so I hope Donovan can both want the team to improve and also find patience in the process, he is just entering his 5th season next year.

Just figured I’d throw this into the thread. It’s from a couple days ago, but I’m just getting caught up on some weekly interviews. This is Andy Larsen, at about the 9 minute market, Andy mentions Donovan’s been putting a lot of pressure on the Jazz FO to improve behind the scenes. He’s talking about it in relation to how Giannis won his title, and how Dame in Portland has been getting impatient. Dames been in Portland for 9 years, Giannis just won his first in year 8. Most greats don’t win their first title until years 7,8,9, or 10, so I hope Donovan can both want the team to improve and also find patience in the process, he is just entering his 5th season next year.

We have a 2-3 window before we blow it up. Locke has been throwing the idea out there a lot… we are all in for 2-3 years and then we year it down to studs. I think Don will give us his best and may even sign a supermax with us but I’m not sure we end up having him for 12 years… the new nba stars are incredibly impatient.

We have a 2-3 window before we blow it up. Locke has been throwing the idea out there a lot… we are all in for 2-3 years and then we year it down to studs. I think Don will give us his best and may even sign a supermax with us but I’m not sure we end up having him for 12 years… the new nba stars are incredibly impatient.

Not sure what to believe...Locke's saying we're all in for the next 3 years and Tony Jones makes it sound like we're all in next year and if we don't make it to the finals much of the roster is going to be gone and we could take a step back. I'm not sure how long Smith is going to be willing to pay the tax, especially the repeater tax.

I completely disagree with the "blow it up" concept. Yes at some point we will pivot from Rudy. Whether that's next summer or in a couple summers, it doesn't matter.

We have Don, Royce, Doke and hopefully #30 who have 5+ years of relevance.

This is why I'm so opposed to going the old *** approach to this off-season. I don't want guys like Rudy Gay or Batum as much as I want guys like Winslow. Or trade for a Kuzma. Or Rozier. Or Lonzo. Or Collins.

We don't have to tear it down. We can actually keep some of the old this off-season but actually make the move to support Don for the long term.

We will tear ourselves down if we just run it back with Conley, Rudy, Bojan, Favors JC and Joe. That is an old crew. Good, but ancient. And most are about to be worthless or bad as a trade asset.

People will be shocked at what Caruso gets this offseason. He's out of our range.

I agree with he general sentiment here... If you land Rudy Gay and move Favs for space you'd have a trade exception. I think Phoenix would be willing to trade Carter for nothing since they likely try to retain Payne and will look to cut a little salary. Jevon is a 10 minute a night guy and is a dog on defense. I think you need a third center in case Doke sucks but get a minimum guy like Dieng, Len, Hartenstein, Baynes. Roster is pretty much full at that point. I would like to get another vet to go with the prospects too... don't want a repeat of this year.
So Lowry and Derozan are interested I. The Lakers. If the Lakers sign one, that really only leaves Mike with Dallas unless it’s a s&t, no? I mean aure some other teams have cap room but they all suck iirc and Conley would have to be an idiot to sign in those spots.

So Lowry and Derozan are interested I. The Lakers. If the Lakers sign one, that really only leaves Mike with Dallas unless it’s a s&t, no? I mean aure some other teams have cap room but they all suck iirc and Conley would have to be an idiot to sign in those spots.
I think Conley chooses between:
Utah
Dallas
NY
Lakers
Miami
Philly
Maybe some place like NOLA or Indiana

I completely disagree with the "blow it up" concept. Yes at some point we will pivot from Rudy. Whether that's next summer or in a couple summers, it doesn't matter.

This is why I'm so opposed to going the old *** approach to this off-season. I don't want guys like Rudy Gay or Batum as much as I want guys like Winslow. Or trade for a Kuzma. Or Rozier. Or Lonzo. Or Collins.

We don't have to tear it down. We can actually keep some of the old this off-season but actually make the move to support Don for the long term.

We will tear ourselves down if we just run it back with Conley, Rudy, Bojan, Favors JC and Joe. That is an old crew. Good, but ancient. And most are about to be worthless or bad as a trade asset.

If we wait 2-3 years to pivot from Rudy, we ain’t getting **** for him.

If we wait 2-3 years to pivot from Rudy, we ain’t getting **** for him.
Which is why I think we do it next summer if this season doesn't work out.

It's crazy how much hinges on Conley. If he leaves for nothing, our title chances take a big hit. Rudy's value to us also takes a hit since we won't have good facilitator on the roster.

Keep Conley, keep everybody but Bojan who we try to turn into younger pieces.
Lose Conley, try our best to build with what we have but possibly pull off a late off-season blockbuster cashing in on Rudy.

I just don’t think Donovan will stay for 5-6 more years. We’d need something more than Kyle Kuzma to convince him to stay here. We needed to hit on a pick closer to his draft. The half way builds we have done have led us to have guys who are good now but not completely on the same timeline. To get young now we have to take like two huge steps back… if it fails DM wants out sooner than later.

The goal is not to retain Donovan forever and be the Blazers. The goal is to win a title. The window is cracked open… we need to be opportunistic but if it doesn’t work in the next couple years you trade everything and go full OKC. Hopefully Ryan has the stones for it because the millers never did.

There’s a chance you land some good young player or get a little younger when you trade of Bojan… maybe some team is desperate to make the playoffs and overpays in a trade for Rudy next offseason. Short of hitting a grand slam I just don’t see a move that puts a player good enough to convince him this is the place.

In this NBA the guys go where they want to… if they are going to willfully choose to be here then the case has to be overwhelming. Trading for some of those younger meddling dudes isn’t gonna help… if it makes us worse the next couple years it will actually hurt our case quite a bit. We have to be all in and hope for the best… we have to know when to walk away too… cue the Kenny Rogers music!

I just don’t think Donovan will stay for 5-6 more years. We’d need something more than Kyle Kuzma to convince him to stay here. We needed to hit on a pick closer to his draft. The half way builds we have done have led us to have guys who are good now but not completely on the same timeline. To get young now we have to take like two huge steps back… if it fails DM wants out sooner than later.

The goal is not to retain Donovan forever and be the Blazers. The goal is to win a title. The window is cracked open… we need to be opportunistic but if it doesn’t work in the next couple years you trade everything and go full OKC. Hopefully Ryan has the stones for it because the millers never did.

There’s a chance you land some good young player or get a little younger when you trade of Bojan… maybe some team is desperate to make the playoffs and overpays in a trade for Rudy next offseason. Short of hitting a grand slam I just don’t see a move that puts a player good enough to convince him this is the place.

In this NBA the guys go where they want to… if they are going to willfully choose to be here then the case has to be overwhelming. Trading for some of those younger meddling dudes isn’t gonna help… if it makes us worse the next couple years it will actually hurt our case quite a bit. We have to be all in and hope for the best… we have to know when to walk away too… cue the Kenny Rogers music!

Favors for Lauri and moving down in the draft would be super interesting. The kid has a ton of potential and never really been in a good situation. If we did that, signed Batum or Gay, drafted whoever later in the draft, and either reupped Conley or did some sort of Bogey for Rozier trade, I think we’d have a very good off-season that improves our young talent level in a big way.