What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Is this even a solid draft? Have to say that I’m really not impressed by the guys at #30. Especially when compared to previous years.
I can only parrot what other expert draft guys have said. Basically there are more than 30 first round grades in this draft. Last year's draft was similar iirc, but I think this class would be considered better (definitely at the top... but overall too).

He still is in a consulting role with the Celtics... but as we know he has no time leveraging "personal relationships" and working in the shadows. So for now he's just Ryan's golfing buddy... kind of...

DL is also in a consulting role and is by all means completely out of the picture.
Right now seeing as the Jazz front office is going through some pretty real changes, I'm happy to have Ainge as a shadow informer who is likely still pretty in the loop on what the Celtics are seeing they like and don't like and what is out there as possibilities.
Because Don liked the tweet, and because God is good when good things happen to people, and one of the best things that could happen to Forrest right now is keeping his NBA roster spot.
Forrest is going to be on the team.
According to Austin Horton’s source (as discussed on 1280 this morning), the Ingles/Bogey rumors are coming from teams that have interest in Ingles/Bogey (i.e., it’s not the Jazz trying to move anyone) and also, the Jazz are looking to trade the 30th pick for a pick in a future draft.
Andy's thoughts on Woj's comments:

I find it interesting that many fans are letting their hearts get in the way of making the team better. Everyone loves Favs and Ingles but people are somewhat reluctant to trade them especially Ingles. Another complaint is the Jazz just let guys expire instead of trading then for assets or another player. This is why you need a guy like Ainge who doesn't allow emotions when trying to trade people. He traded AL Jefferson who was very popular in Boston and there is a story out there that Ainge try to convince the front office to trade Bird and McHale when they were getting at the end of their careers for draft picks. I like all of the guys who might be traded. Bogie, Ingles,, Favors and JC but I would trade anyone of them if it help the Jazz get better.

Trading a player with one good year out of three as the base for an MVP in his prime is hardly an endorsement for cutthroat trade practices making a team better. Ainge did a standard building blocks pieces deal for an MVP and Boston won a title.

They FLEECED the Nets on the Pierce deal.

They haven't won a championship since.

They haven't really been all that close.

Doing stuff like Ainge means nothing except funny articles about the Almost Ainge all stars and the best trades Ainge almost made.

Did you guys see the Mem-NOLA trade? Mem coming out really good, it seems. They’re running a masters class on how to maximize the value of two aging stars (Conley, Gasol).

Did you guys see the Mem-NOLA trade? Mem coming out really good, it seems. They’re running a masters class on how to maximize the value of two aging stars (Conley, Gasol).
I'd rather have JV than Adams and Bledsoe, frankly. The draft picks are key. Memphis is taking their foot off the gas; NO clearing space for a Lonzo resign.

I find it interesting that many fans are letting their hearts get in the way of making the team better. Everyone loves Favs and Ingles but people are somewhat reluctant to trade them especially Ingles. Another complaint is the Jazz just let guys expire instead of trading then for assets or another player. This is why you need a guy like Ainge who doesn't allow emotions when trying to trade people. He traded AL Jefferson who was very popular in Boston and there is a story out there that Ainge try to convince the front office to trade Bird and McHale when they were getting at the end of their careers for draft picks. I like all of the guys who might be traded. Bogie, Ingles,, Favors and JC but I would trade anyone of them if it help the Jazz get better.

I don’t like trading ingles because it means the Conley trade is still costing us assets. We already overpaid for his old broken *** and now we are in a position that we can’t afford to lose him so we must let Joe or Bogie go. Those are two guys that have played through injury and pain for the Jazz and we are giving them up because of sunk cost on Conley. A guy who sits out constantly and has missed the majority of playoff games. I’m okay trading Joe or bogie to get better, but trading them to keep Conley does not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t like trading ingles because it means the Conley trade is still costing us assets. We already overpaid for his old broken *** and now we are in a position that we can’t afford to lose him so we must let Joe or Bogie go. Those are two guys that have played through injury and pain for the Jazz and we are giving them up because of sunk cost on Conley. A guy who sits out constantly and has missed the majority of playoff games. I’m okay trading Joe or bogie to get better, but trading them to keep Conley does not do that.

From the sounds of it, Joe could bring you back a pick. I wonder if there’s any viable options that you could then package that pick, with this years pick, and maybe a player and get something of better need in return. There really is just so many possibilities of how things could go. We’ll know a bit more about Ryan Smith as an owner, and the direction where headed with the roster in the next 3 days. It would be wild if Joe is traded in the next few days, and was not a Jazz man. It really would be sad. I’d miss the Joe Ingles show every week, but if it improves the team I won’t be against it.

I'd rather have JV than Adams and Bledsoe, frankly. The draft picks are key. Memphis is taking their foot off the gas; NO clearing space for a Lonzo resign.
Nope Lonzo is likely out. They didn’t need to clear any salary to keep him. Today was about clearing space (including Lonzo) to sign Kyle Lowry. The draft capital is solid. The success of the deal hinges on how Memphis drafts or what Nola does with the space.

I liked it for them. I hated it for NOLA but I really don’t expect the casuals to understand why.

I liked it for them. I hated it for NOLA but I really don’t expect the casuals to understand why.
The casuals? Cmon man. Who are you? Jerry Reinsdorf?

Memphis has 2 foundational pieces on rookie contracts (Morant and JJJr), Brooks on a bargain deal, and a few others on good deals. They had cap space and the ability to create that much more. Instead of using that cap space to grab another 5-8 year building block, they used it to pay Adams more than good fit JV and declining Bledsoe just to move up 7 spots in a draft.

If I was Memphis, I would have used that space this summer to sign a badass. They could have gone after John Collins, Dinwiddie, Gary Trent Jr, Powell. Or they could have traded for a known commodity instead of hoping for draft perfection.

Memphis had this summer and next to add a massive piece. I think they screwed the pooch.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:

I agree. Where we are right now hurts. I'm starting to feel more and more like the 2020-21 season was our big "go for it all" season and we will just be a shadow of that going forward.

I have a hard time having that much confidence in a Mike, Rudy and Don team with an even thinner supporting cast.

So much of me hopes Conley leaves to a place where we can do a sign and trade. He wouldn't leave on that bad of terms because at least we would be getting something in return.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

The latest:

“The Mavericks are also considered to be a possible landing spot for Jazz guard Mike Conley, although there's a strong belief around the league that Utah will be successful in its attempts to shed salary and offer Conley a substantial deal.

The Jazz continue to hold discussions on Joe Ingles and Bojan Bogdanovic, while Royce O'Neale, due to his lower cap figure and strong two-way success this season, is not expected to be included in any outgoing Utah package. The Jazz remain engaged in talks on trading the No. 30 pick to send Derrick Favors' salary elsewhere, sources said. “

Everything but Bogey gives me concern here.

The latest:

“The Mavericks are also considered to be a possible landing spot for Jazz guard Mike Conley, although there's a strong belief around the league that Utah will be successful in its attempts to shed salary and offer Conley a substantial deal.

The Jazz continue to hold discussions on Joe Ingles and Bojan Bogdanovic, while Royce O'Neale, due to his lower cap figure and strong two-way success this season, is not expected to be included in any outgoing Utah package. The Jazz remain engaged in talks on trading the No. 30 pick to send Derrick Favors' salary elsewhere, sources said. “

Good. There is actually zero reason whatsoever that Royce should be traded. None. At under $10 million, we need more of guys like him not less.

I feel the same way about Ingles, but I understand he's an expiring, maybe retiring next year, and we need to maximize every asset possible. Still don't want to trade him.