What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I think the Batum stuff comes from playoff PTSD where we saw him be competent but nail a bunch of key (wide open) threes. He’s solid all around, and we could definitely use that, but I think there may be a few guys who could do that who would be more relatively undervalued to Batum because of our decency bias compounded by trauma.
He also has the size to work in a center-less lineup and guard multiple positions, He’s a good shooter and good passer as well.

He’s a good player and basically exactly what the Jazz need.

And some of us have been saying this since last off-season, BTW.

He also has the size to work in a center-less lineup and guard multiple positions, He’s a good shooter and good passer as well.

He’s a good player and basically exactly what the Jazz need.

And some of us have been saying this since last off-season, BTW.
to go center-less we would still have to fix our perimeter defense.

Chris Paul and Kawhi are both declining their player options and becoming free agents. Kawhi's going to sign a new deal to stay with the Clippers. Maybe that's what Paul and the Suns will do as well.

Can someone remind me, did we meet with Porter in the summer that Hayward left, or was it just scheduled? Something like that might help our chances if he was impressed before
There were rumors that he was flying in to SLC, but he got signed like an hour after the rumor started.

OP jr. may be the best guy we can get with TPMLE money. I don’t think he will ever have sustained health. If you can get him on a 1+1 with second year team option that is ideal.

Batum is best option… he just does a little of everything and that’s kinda what we need… it sounds as though Batum and Gay will have better options. If you are Nic are you coming to Utah to hang with Rudy or headed to the Warriors clippers or Lakers… all who have starting jobs wide open for him.

If you don’t get one of those guys I think you hunt with minimum deals or I’d consider splitting the MLE with a couple guys that are the top of the minimum market and asking for team options… while 1.2 m extra isn’t a ton in nba terms… for a guy with a minimum salary it’s almost double.

The Jazz need a 6'9" / 230-lb / 7' ws forward who can defend multiple positions, rebound, make open 3s and move the ball.

Nic Batum matches that basic description.
Bobby Portis would probably work.
Lauri Markkanen is interesting as a trade candidate.

That has to be the kind of guy the Jazz are looking for. They have enough guards and wings, but they're almost empty at the 4.