What's new

Jazz outscored by 118pts in first quarters with Big Al on the court.

What are Jefferson's first q numbers? I know his FG % rises in the 2nd half. Is he not making many attempts in the 1st Q? Also, I still don't see many pick and rolls between he and D-Will.

What a stupid observation by a stupid man. So he dislikes Jefferson. Even though the starting line up is pretty much set in stone, and the same stat can apply to any of the starters, he decides it is Jefferson's fault. I'm not a Jefferson homer, but Locke is pathetic.

He didn't bring the stat to light to bash AJ - in fact, he found it during the roundtable discussion with Scotty and Boler and was pretty flabbergasted at it. Locke has been pretty high on AJ, especially late in games.

Jazz starters (+/-) in the 1st Quarter - Deron (-82) Bell (-78) AK (-85) Millsap (-58) Jefferson (-118)

that was the rest of the post.

Utah Jazz (+/-) 4th Quarter - CJ Miles (+111) Kirilenko (+82) Watson (+70) Jefferson (+66) Price (+57) Deron (+54) Millsap (+ 50)

I heard that. FIrst time I have listened to Locke in a long time.
My answer to it is this: 23-11
I'll take the wins and I won't btch about it.

After the Memphis game, all the announcers were saying "Well, it's a win so we should be happy, right?" But they weren't. They all thought the jazz should have won easily. Harpring kept saying that, too.

Well, the next night, the Lakers lose to the Grizz by 18 point, at home. Is it good enough now?

Locke is pretty good at stats and calculated info - so i give him credit. Also, imagine if you were obligated to find nuggets to discuss everyday about the Jazz for 6 straight months. While this as a Jefferson-statement is more about what the total team +/- is (as was posted above.)

this sort of stuff is just a trigger for discussion.

Does anyone have any fairly intelligent reason for our slow starts? Some is mindset of course. But I wonder how much our players warm up. I'm not saying they do anything more or less than any other team but I'd think a team that is very warmed-up, and does so with a little intensity in some way, shape, or form, way carry that over into the 48 minutes that matter. I know that sounds silly but I think any of us who have competed at a fairly high level know what I mean.

What are Jefferson's first q numbers? I know his FG % rises in the 2nd half. Is he not making many attempts in the 1st Q? Also, I still don't see many pick and rolls between he and D-Will.

....you don't see many pick and rolls with Jefferson....because he doesn't really know how to run one! Have you ever played with a school yard kid who loved basketball....but when you said lets run the pick and roll....he stares at you with the expression of complete befuddlement?? Now, if you just throw him the ball....he will dribble between his legs a couple dozen times, behind his back a couple of times....and then launch up an off balance turnaround jumper? That's Jefferson!

To me, the problem is on the offensive end more than the defensive for Al. Teams are sporting more traditional centers this year than in past years, and all Al can do against them is a push shot.

Here is how Al's inside scoring FG% compares to our other bigs.

Millsap: 72%
Elson: 72% (limited attempts)
Fesenko: 61%
Jefferson: 56%

Part of Al's problem is he can't run the pick and roll, so he doesn't have many ways to make use of Deron. Millsap gets a lot of easy buckets on the P&R. The other half is him being, as I stated earlier, undersized at center, neutralizing his post game. Neither of those weaknesses are fixable.....

Last edited:
118/25 games=4.something points per 1st quarter

I guess you could say that's significant.

Why is it unfair to say that Jefferson has been terrible in the 1st quarter? He has been.

Does anyone have any fairly intelligent reason for our slow starts? Some is mindset of course. But I wonder how much our players warm up. I'm not saying they do anything more or less than any other team but I'd think a team that is very warmed-up, and does so with a little intensity in some way, shape, or form, way carry that over into the 48 minutes that matter. I know that sounds silly but I think any of us who have competed at a fairly high level know what I mean.

There isn't an answer. It's baffling because you'd think sooner or later, something would give - whether it's failing to continually comeback or finally getting it together and producing a solid four quarters.

But that just isn't the case.

Even tonight, Utah was down 28-25 in the first. The margin isn't so awful - but the points given up is. The Jazz give up about 97 points per game - 28 first quarter points put the Pistons on pace for 112 points.

All I can think of right now is that it's total mindset. It's kind of like when a team loses a cluster of games by a couple of points. It's hard to break that trend because, when those types of outcomes begin to pile up, your entire mentality adjusts to the reality of what you're going through.

Maybe each Jazz player is so used to this trend that they can't break it. Sometimes it does bite them in the *** (see their games against Dallas and Portland) - but overall, it appears to have no impact on their ability to win games. If they're as confident in the second half about pulling out a comeback as they are at accepting their first quarter struggles, than it balances out, I guess.