What's new

Jazz outscored by 118pts in first quarters with Big Al on the court.

Wasn't there a graphic tonight on the broadcast that said that AJ shoots 40-something percent in the first half but bumps it up to 50-something in the second half?

Still, his ability to collect blocks, rebounds, hit a pass here and there, and provide leadership makes him worth the growing pains of the first half.

Maybe it's because the starting lineup lacks firepower to blow the other team out? I remember in years past we could score at will, Brewer, Wes, Memo, Boozer, Deron, Harpring, Millsap, etc. In the first quarter when Memo would go out, Millsap would come in. Today? When Jefferson goes out it's either Fransico or Fess. Not exactly Millsap. Not to mention that Boozer/Memo were far better offensively than Jefferson's shotput chuck and Millsap. Memo and Boozer offensively were probably the best 4/5 combo in the league for a few years.

When our backups came in a few years ago, they were Korver, Harpring, Millsap, and CJ. Today? they're CJ, Evans, FEss, and Price/Watson.

Perhaps this team just doesn't have the fire power to do what previous Jazz teams have done offensively...

Maybe it's because the starting lineup lacks firepower to blow the other team out? I remember in years past we could score at will, Brewer, Wes, Memo, Boozer, Deron, Harpring, Millsap, etc. In the first quarter when Memo would go out, Millsap would come in. Today? When Jefferson goes out it's either Fransico or Fess. Not exactly Millsap. Not to mention that Boozer/Memo were far better offensively than Jefferson's shotput chuck and Millsap. Memo and Boozer offensively were probably the best 4/5 combo in the league for a few years.

When our backups came in a few years ago, they were Korver, Harpring, Millsap, and CJ. Today? they're CJ, Evans, FEss, and Price/Watson.

Perhaps this team just doesn't have the fire power to do what previous Jazz teams have done offensively...

So far this year, your observation is %100 true, IMO. I hope the Jazz can get much better offensively. They have already convinced me that they are capable of playing great defense but again, the defense has also been inconsistent. The Jazz offense is still a work in progress. Even if we will figure out that this team is not as good, capable,consistent as old roster offensively, they can still be successful with playing in slow paces and with consistent defense.

Does anyone have any fairly intelligent reason for our slow starts? Some is mindset of course. But I wonder how much our players warm up. I'm not saying they do anything more or less than any other team but I'd think a team that is very warmed-up, and does so with a little intensity in some way, shape, or form, way carry that over into the 48 minutes that matter. I know that sounds silly but I think any of us who have competed at a fairly high level know what I mean.

Sloan is making sure AK gets those looks he was promised. Watch next game. They run some standard screens designed to get AK a couple of his clanky mid-range jumpers.

To be serious, it's the game plan (and tends to include AK coming off screens and clanking). The Jazz start off in standard mode and see what's what. Then, dumroll please, IN GAME STRATEGY!

Someone look up that dip **** and let him know Sloan's Jazz are making the adjustments necessary to win games.

I give them credit for adjusting at halftime on the coaching and playing levels and winning games. The slow starts are obnoxious at times, but the comeback victory adrenaline shots have been better than a good buzz.

I'll take the record.

I'm not disputing the clanking ability of AK's mid range jumper but the Jazz did no better when AK was out and instead it was Bell forcing a pass into the post and to be fair there have been several games where AK pump fakes or drives to the rim for a layup/dunk or a foul or a MLA.
In short it is just a few plays overall in the first qtr. and not the reason why of the slow starts it appears like you mentioned the Jazz are probing seeing how the D is playing them, hopefully sooner rather then later they will start with some of the counter options once/if everybody can get the offense down and be on the same page.

Does anyone have any fairly intelligent reason for our slow starts?

...well, when we had Brewer and Boozer, we seemed to get alot of easy baskets in the 1st quarter, correct me if I'm wrong! For some reason our opponents would allow Brewer to roam free along the base line....and Deron would end up hitting him with alley-oops quite frequently! Boozer and Deron would run a couple pick and rolls and our 1st. quarters were much better than they are now. I'm not suggesting bringing either player back....just making an observation. We have no one who can presently do what Brewer use to do.....and Jefferson may NEVER figure out how to run the pick and roll effectively with Deron. But our defense is better with big Al....and our record is better with Big Al.....and with our schedule for January being cupcake....I don't think that's going to change much!

Does anyone have any fairly intelligent reason for our slow starts? Some is mindset of course.
From my observations: Deron tries to get everyone involved early, which usually means a high proportion of our early shots are jumpshots which miss. The opposition rebounds these long misses and gets easy transition baskets because we are slow to get back. Later in games, Deron is more selfish and takes it to the rack himself, or pounds the ball inside to AJ or Sap. Not only do we get a higher shooting %age from this, but we avoid long rebounds and don't give up transition buckets.

From my observations: Deron tries to get everyone involved early, which usually means a high proportion of our early shots are jumpshots which miss. The opposition rebounds these long misses and gets easy transition baskets because we are slow to get back. Later in games, Deron is more selfish and takes it to the rack himself, or pounds the ball inside to AJ or Sap. Not only do we get a higher shooting %age from this, but we avoid long rebounds and don't give up transition buckets.

Good observation.

In my humble, yet educated and absolutely right opinion, the Jazz are not out scored because we have Al Jefferson on the floor to start the game off. We are outscored because the Jazz continue to take pansy *** jump shops that clank off the back of the rim for a long rebound that leads to a fast break. AK, Bell, and even Williams, start driving the damn basketball to the hole you cupcake eating sons of bitches.

I read couple of days ago Phil Johnson mentioning that screens are not good enough in the first quarter mainly due to players' fear to get early offensive fouls. He added that they also try various things early in game to test what is working and what is not.