What's new

Jazz plan to sign Danuel House

The Jazz USED to be good at developing players. Quin was brought on as a player development coach. He DID develop.

But what has he done lately? Name the last fringe player who has really improved under his watch? 3+ years back.

Silly argument. Do you know what’s different now than 3+ years ago? Those guys he developed are filling his rotation. Even as a winning team with very few rotation spots open, Quin has developed players. Forrest has gotten better, Niang got better, Clarkson had a career year last season, before that Tony Bradley improved immensely over his time here.

There are zero coaches in the NBA who are going to bench Jordan Clarkson so they can put in an unknown late 2nd round or undrafted player. People got to realize that the reason a lot of the fringe guys don’t end up making is 1) because they probably weren’t good enough in the first place and 2) there was no realistic opportunity for them to play in the first place.

The situation is somewhat different from the Jazz in this regard, but Memphis sure seems to stand out as getting lots good (winning) efforts from young players. Their roster is so chock-full of young guys that seem to deserve time that I can't help wondering if the Grizzlies might be open to moving older players like Brooks and Anderson for the right price.

MEM is a lot like UTA a few years ago. It’s a lot different when you’re a young team on the come up versus a team that’s trying to contend.

You’re right that MEM has a lot of young guys they wish could probably get time, but they won’t be able to because they’re starting to transition into a winning team.

They aren’t suddenly going to be bad at developing because they rather play Bane instead of their 14th guy minutes every night…just a different team with different priorities and less opportunities for unknowns.

MEM still has a long way to go and a bright future ahead of them, but I would argue that what the Jazz have done is more impressive because they did it with an absence of high draft picks.

I remember when Corbin was coach, the Jazz signed Kyle Weaver out of the GLeague and in one game he was the second leading scorer to Hayward and filled up the stat sheet with a lot of positive statistics and the next day was gone. I can't remember if DL or KOC was the GM then.

He did play in 3 more games (getting 5 games on a single 10-day is pretty good timing), without repeating the 19 point performance from the 2nd game.

Silly argument. Do you know what’s different now than 3+ years ago? Those guys he developed are filling his rotation. Even as a winning team with very few rotation spots open, Quin has developed players. Forrest has gotten better, Niang got better, Clarkson had a career year last season, before that Tony Bradley improved immensely over his time here.

There are zero coaches in the NBA who are going to bench Jordan Clarkson so they can put in an unknown late 2nd round or undrafted player. People got to realize that the reason a lot of the fringe guys don’t end up making is 1) because they probably weren’t good enough in the first place and 2) there was no realistic opportunity for them to play in the first place.

I can't believe people haven't mentioned that Quin's greatest accomplishment developing players is Donovan Mitchell. He slid to 13 because he couldn't dunk off one leg, now look at him.

That said, I've definitely been critical of young guys not being given time to develop. The last 3 years, they've been focused on winning a title, and therefore giving the 8 man rotation as much experience as possible,
so I get it. But time could have been made to slot in guys like Forrest, Oni, Morgan, etc. to give them more of a chance. The need for a perimeter defender has been glaring for years, I'm not sure
enough effort was made to bring up someone who could do that. But, then again, I'm not a coach, and I'm not the one that catches heat if you sub out a starter when you're up 10 and the other team
goes on a 12-0 run.

Popovich played Jock Londale in the second half of our game because the match gave them an advantage. Jock played zero minutes in the first half and about 12 in the second half.

The best coaches play their team and have flexibility to swap pieces in and out when needed.

We have 9 guys who combined average about 10 minutes a game. How do you interchange pieces when you need to?

Quin doesn't all year and then puts Morgan as a starter in key playoff games.

The bucks went 13 deep last year..

Sorry, but you need to watch more basketball if you think all coaches do as Quin does.

Popovich played Jock Londale in the second half of our game because the match gave them an advantage. Jock played zero minutes in the first half and about 12 in the second half.

The best coaches play their team and have flexibility to swap pieces in and out when needed.

We have 9 guys who combined average about 10 minutes a game. How do you interchange pieces when you need to?

Quin doesn't all year and then puts Morgan as a starter in key playoff games.

The bucks went 13 deep last year..

Sorry, but you need to watch more basketball if you think all coaches do as Quin does.

I don't know why you had to make up/alter facts about Landale, that can be verified in less than 10 seconds but you did and it doesn't even make for a compelling argument. There's a difference between playing Landale instead of Eubanks and playing Hughes instead of Clarkson. One involves two fringe players and the other involves the reigning 6th man of the year and someone who has been up and down in the G-League. Even if you didn't make up this fake scenario in your head, it's not the same decision at all. Landale versus Eubanks is a real decision. Clarkson versus Oni/Hughes is not a real decision. Every coach is making the decision to play Clarkson and if the choice isn't Clarkson, it's because of rest reasons like with Conley.

The Bucks weren't 13 deep last year. They actually had a very top heavy roster. The reason why you think it's 13 deep is because after their first 6-7 guys, everyone is about the same. They're all fringe players. If the Bucks had the same level of players from 6-9 as the Jazz had, you bet they would be playing the nobodies that they had to play because they had no one else.

The reason why fringe guys get a chance is because there's an opportunity available to them. Why did Morgan start? Because there was an opportunity with Conley and Bogey out. It's that simple. With this team, there's just not a ton of opportunity because of how stacked it is. Quin didn't become a bad developmental coach because he played Rudy Gay instead of Paschall. That's just how these things go. There's a major drop off between the actual rotation players and the bench warmers. Let's not pretend otherwise. When there has been legitimate decisions, Quin has always been flexible and found ways to elevate players out of those situations.