What's new

Jazz player grades for this season

Hayward- A+ Outstanding season. He carried this team all year.

Gobert- A+ Hope he works on his offensive game this offseason.

Hill- B- Started the season on fire, but couldn't stay healthy. I'm fine with not re-signing him. Don't want to invest that much in an aging player that may not be able to stay healthy.

Hood- C- Super disappointed in Hood. He regressed badly. I don't want to repeat the C.J. Miles experiment. When his shot isn't falling, he doesn't do enough to make up for it.

Burks- D His middle name may as well be scarecrow because he doesn't have a brain. He doesn't fit this team. Hope we find a way to offload him.

Ingles- A- Way exceeded my expectations. Hope we prioritize signing him before Hill. Terrific glue guy.

Johnson- B Not of fan of ISO ball. Hate the way the ball sticks. Fit better than I thought he would, though.

Withey- D He played worse this season than last season.

Mack- B- Hated seeing him get minutes over Exum.

Bolomboy- I Incomplete, didn't get enough minutes to properly evaluate.

Neto- B Did ok with the minutes he did get.

Exum- B- Still has a long way to go.

Favors- C- Don't know if he will every return to his previous form. Such a shame, too.

Diaw- B- Love the way he sees the court, but don't love the way he shoots, or his turnovers.

Lyles- F He plays small. Not a good defender. Doesn't anchor the paint. Never met a shot he didn't like. Would trade for a bag of cheetos.

Snyder- B+ Hated the way he treated the backup point guard position. No consistent minutes for anybody. Didn't understand his love for Mack. Didn't understand why Exum had a shorter leash than anyone else on the team.

Hayward-A
Gobert-A
Hill-B
Hood-C
Ingles-A-
Favors-Inc.
Johnson-B
Diaw-C+
Exum-C+
Mack-B
Neto-B

No one else matters to me.
I like these grades with the exception of Mack, I'd give him a C- or a D. I think he was better last year and this year was a serious disappointment. I'd also probably move Ingles to A+ simply because he is a far better player today than anybody imagined heading into the season.

Snyder: A-

I wish he experimented a bit more with lineups, but I get why he probably couldn't due to all the injuries

DL: B

Props to pulling off the deals in the off-season, but he kind of dropped the ball during the season not being able to use remaining cap-space in any meaningful way.

Pretty much carried all season by Hayward and Gobert, due to injuries. So A+ for these two. F for Lyles, who has no injury excuse.

Gobert, Hayward, and Ingles were the only players to definitely improve from last season. They all get A's.

Favors, Hill and Hood were primarily injured for good chunks of the season. Out of those three, only Hill lived up to his expectations. They all get C's.

Lyles and Burks both get F's. Lyles basically made Favors an expendable trade-chip to the last man on the bench in just one season. Burks solidified that he will never be the same guy he was.

Neto, Bolomboy, Whitey and Mack did what we thought they'd do. They get a B.

J.J. and Diaw did what we brought them in to do (J.J. just did it more). I'll give them a B+

That leaves us with Exum. I thought he was garbage before the season and I still think he's garbage. So lets give him a D.

Just looking at these grades for Exum, makes me realize how unrealistic fans can be. To me, he really only had one disappointing stretch, and that was for the short period after Quin gave him his first DNP. Got in his head a bit, but it's funny to me how some fans were convinced he should be in the D-league, and some people were livid that we didn't go after another guard at the deadline. Exum came out and played well and kind of made a lot of people look a little dumb. Then in the playoffs when the homers were complaining about playing time, and there were comments about how bad he would be and that Snyder was smart for not playing him, again, thought he made some people look dumb with his play on the big stage in some moments under a lot of pressure.

Still has a lot of work to do, but I for one was VERY happy with the way he rebounded from the injury. Pretty awesome to see him driving the lane in traffic and throwing down a 2 handed slam in the face of the warriors. Some people called him a timid player who would never do such a thing. Bah.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree pretty much with Cy.
First time for everything..... maybe Mack slightly lower other than that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've graded the players and made some general comments - some regarding the season, some regarding the future.

Hayward: A-. He still not a bona fide go-to guy, but he made more of his talents than I would ever imagine.
Hill: B-. His defense is not as good as advertised, or maybe he lost a step; he is not as good setting up teammates as one may like. Oft-injured.
Gobert: A-. Can he make the next step and become reliable on offense with a higher usage?
Hood: C-. He looked passive and uninterested most of the time.
Favors: C-. He seems physically on the decline and has not added any go-to move inside. He's bound to have a better season, but I doubt he'll top 15 ppg ever again.
Johnson: B-. Did a great job for a guy his age. Let's hope he can teach Hood how to use his body on offense.
Mack: C+. Although he likes to shoot a bit too much for my taste, he seems smart. His problem is the lack of actual talent and athleticism.
Ingles: B-. People are over-rating him right now. The main reason his percentages are that good is that he avoids shooting.
Burks: D-. Could not reinvent himself after his injuries. His playing days in the league may be over sooner than many think.
Exum: D+. Still can become a good player. I would not bet on it, though.
Lyles: F. Simply doesn't belong in the league. Too dumb. Doesn't know his limitations.
Diaw: C+. His smarts are only capable of compensating for his lack of shooting and mobility to a certain point. Au revoir!
Withey: C+. Serviceable back-up with very limited skills.
Neto: C-. He still may be able to flourish if allowed to dribble the ball and drive to the basket. Utah is not the place for him.
Bolomboy: ?. Did not play enough. His athleticism and toughness should buy him a chance as the primary back-up at the 4 next season.

Snyder: B. The offense seemed too basic at the beginning of the season, but the players begun to share the ball more often as the season went on and at the end it seemed fine. He played the veterans a bit too much for my taste, while should reward the youngsters with more playing time when they did well on court.

What is lacking? Another scoring wing, as neither Burks or Hood did well. I still have some hope regarding Hood. Also, some sort of scoring inside besides lobs and putbacks is clearly necessary. Gobert may still develop a little offensive, but I think the team should run for Bolomboy the same plays that it runs for Favors. The team should also add another tough guy. You can't have your second-best player (Gobert) as your only enforcer.

Gobert : A
Hayward : B+
Ingles : B
Hill : B
Johnson : B
Hood : D+
Favors : C
Neto : B-
Withey : B-
Bolomboy : B
Exum : D+
Mack : C-
Diaw : C+
Burks : C-
Lyles : F

Extra Credit: Snyder: B+

It's crazy... these Grades are pretty spot on and there are a lot of bad grades here. Its amazing we won 51 games and a first round series!!!

It's crazy... these Grades are pretty spot on and there are a lot of bad grades here. Its amazing we won 51 games and a first round series!!!
This

Annoying that DL didn't go after Lou Williams or PJ Tucker, both of which could have seriously helped in the playoffs while being on stellar contracts.

Imagine running O through Lou instead of Shovel ****ing Maque.

Lou Will has been pretty mediocre too. No way would I give up a 1st for him like Houston did.

The answer was D-Will. He was basically free.

Dude PJ Tucker was *** as **** in the playoffs this year. Dude is terrible.

You evidently didn't watch game 4 against the Cavs.

Lou Will has been pretty mediocre too. No way would I give up a 1st for him like Houston did.

The answer was D-Will. He was basically free.

D Will homer till u die, huh.

Him and Joe Jesus don't have a good relationship.

Also, Lou was fantastic against OKC, but he's getting murdered by the Spurs.

You evidently didn't watch game 4 against the Cavs.

D Will homer till u die, huh.

Him and Joe Jesus don't have a good relationship.

Also, Lou was fantastic against OKC, but he's getting murdered by the Spurs.

Yeah and Lou Will would have been murdered against the Warriors and so would PJ Sucker.