What's new

Jazz Player Profiles- how do the pieces fit together

Qman

The point of this post is try to start a discussion about how we expect this team to evolve as our young players get better.

If our goal is to win a championship we need to find a superstar, a MVP candidate.

Let's take a look at our team right now. Or just skip to the bottom and read the overall evaluation.

Point Guard:
Devin Harris's game is based on his speed and quickness. His speed and quickness is declining and so his effectiveness. He is a stop gap at the PG position.

Watson can't shoot consistently and his best years are behind him.

Price is and will be an effective energy player for a few more years.

Shooting guard/Small Forward:

AK's body is starting to fail him. He is still effective as a defender in certain matchups. But he needs to relegated to being a role player off the bench.

Gordon Hayward has the size and athletic ability to play the 2 or the 3. He has improved his body during the season and has improved his jumpshot. He limited because he doesn't current have the finishing skills to score in the paint consistently. He is also limited by his lack of a consistent pullup jumper. He has been a pleasant surprise on the defensive end. He can move his feet well and he uses his length and leaping ability to block and challenge shots effectively. He if continues to develop in his current path he will become a very good role player at the 2 or the 3. He will be able to his open shots, make good passes, score in the open court and defend his positions well. I believe he could be a starter on a very good team. But we need a dynamic guard to pair him with.

CJ Miles is IMO who he is always going to be. An athletic streak shooter who will always not be completely focused. CJ could be the 8th best player on a championship squad, but you are relying on him to score every night you will be in the lottery.

Raja Bell's spirit is willing but his body to old. On his best nights he is an effective defender and role player. But those are few and far between.

Power Forward:
This is the position we have the most talent.

Paul Millsap is in the prime years of his career. He could to stand to improve his passing out of double teams, but that is the only hole in his game I can see. The downside is he has maximized his potential but he is limited by his height. He is a good player, but you need at least a couple of great players to win a championship. If Paul is your 3rd or 4th best player your are a really good team. If he is your second best player you are in the lottery. I like Paul as your first big man off the bench.

Derrick Favors has the physical profile of a multi-year all-star. I wonder is he has the burning desire and competitive fire to match his potential. He reminds me a lot of a young Nene. He could develop into a game changing defender and in force in the paint in the offensive end. He is the only player on the team with the potential to become a superstar. The problem is he is likely years away from realizing his potential.

Jeremy Evans has very good quickness, leaping ability and length. He uses his athletic ability to finish plays, block shots and track down loose balls. If he can become strong enough to hold his own he would become a very good role player.

We have enough talent at the position we may need to trade away a player to improve our guard play.

Center:

Al Jefferson has several holes in his fundamentals. He struggles to pass the ball effectively. He doesn't have a left-handed post shot. His defensive awareness and rotations are often poor. He is a very good isolation post scorer. He is a decent shot blocker and rebounder. All in all Al is a star player but likely never an all star. He looks like an effective 2nd or 3rd scorer if he is paired with a superior defender like Favors could become.

Memo in a best case scenario because a ten minutes a night scorer off the bench. I believe he will just retire.

Fess over the last 4 years has shown what he is. A huge, physically talented but mentally weak player. I don't expect him to be a difference maker on a good team ever.

Elson is a stop gap player.

Overall Evaluation

We are solid at the 4 and the 5 with the potential to become very good. Our point guard position needs to be upgraded. We need to find a superstar caliber player that can play on the perimeter to go with our potential superstar in Favors. The difficulty is the upcoming draft seems to be loaded with big man prospects. Derrick Williams looks like the only likely superstar to me.

So what do we do? Trade away one of bigs for a wing player? If there is a decent PG prospect we need to draft him.

Interesting analysis. Small point of correction, Al Jefferson is a power forward, not a center.

Very good analysis. I would add a few things, though.
#1 - Just my opinion, but I think Hayward in time will be a very good SG. He's already got a LOT of smarts! To take advantage of his surprising foot speed, especially laterally, I'd just work him at getting stronger, but NOT worry that much about adding too much more weight. He's only 20; a LOT of growth ahead of him.
#2 - Evans needs to work at developing better basketball skills at the SF position. His body is just too skinny for PF in the NBA, and I doubt he'll ever get to 230, let alone 240! He's already got the speed, quickness, agility, and hops to be an effective SF; now he needs the skill-set, which just takes PRACTICE, and he's got a great work ethic...
#3 - It's difficult to keep saying year after year we need to be patient with CJ, but he is in fact STILL young and still improving year by year. I think he can an effective starter at SF, but DON'T like his sluggish-looking foot movement defensively at SG.
#4 - Al Jefferson has been asked to do a LOT more with the Jazz than he's ever done. I have seen improvement as the year has progressed, and think he will get even better at passing, defending, rebounding, etc. He has the work ethic of another paint guy of the past, Moses Malone, who he greatly resembles. Oh, AND Big Al is still quite young; lots of growth ahead...
#5 - Favors is only 19. I like his calm demeanor on the court, which is unusual for a guy this young. He looks like he's got some smarts out there too; doesn't just try to out-physical his opponent like most young guys.
#6 - Paul Millsap has developed offensively in the same way as a prior Jazz all-star, Karl Malone. HOWEVER, Paul is physically smaller, therefore to be effective at PF he needs to play a lot SMARTER defensively. He needs to learn his opponents games, anticipate their moves on the court, and DENY them position. He appears to react way to slowly defensively and doesn't have the physical size to overcome a larger opponent who's already attained his "sweet spot" on the court.

Very good analysis. I would add a few things, though.
#1 - Just my opinion, but I think Hayward in time will be a very good SG. He's already got a LOT of smarts! To take advantage of his surprising foot speed, especially laterally, I'd just work him at getting stronger, but NOT worry that much about adding too much more weight. He's only 20; a LOT of growth ahead of him.
#2 - Evans needs to work at developing better basketball skills at the SF position. His body is just too skinny for PF in the NBA, and I doubt he'll ever get to 230, let alone 240! He's already got the speed, quickness, agility, and hops to be an effective SF; now he needs the skill-set, which just takes PRACTICE, and he's got a great work ethic...
#3 - It's difficult to keep saying year after year we need to be patient with CJ, but he is in fact STILL young and still improving year by year. I think he can an effective starter at SF, but DON'T like his sluggish-looking foot movement defensively at SG.
#4 - Al Jefferson has been asked to do a LOT more with the Jazz than he's ever done. I have seen improvement as the year has progressed, and think he will get even better at passing, defending, rebounding, etc. He has the work ethic of another paint guy of the past, Moses Malone, who he greatly resembles. Oh, AND Big Al is still quite young; lots of growth ahead...
#5 - Favors is only 19. I like his calm demeanor on the court, which is unusual for a guy this young. He looks like he's got some smarts out there too; doesn't just try to out-physical his opponent like most young guys.
#6 - Paul Millsap has developed offensively in the same way as a prior Jazz all-star, Karl Malone. HOWEVER, Paul is physically smaller, therefore to be effective at PF he needs to play a lot SMARTER defensively. He needs to learn his opponents games, anticipate their moves on the court, and DENY them position. He appears to react way to slowly defensively and doesn't have the physical size to overcome a larger opponent who's already attained his "sweet spot" on the court.

I am with you on Hayward. He could be a very good two. Now he could be a very good 3 too. He gives us some flexibility going forward on the wings.

I have big hopes for Evans too but usually once a player goes through 4 years of college he only improves a limited amount. In other words if you haven't reached your potential by 24-25 you probably never will. It isn't impossible for him to become a SF, but it is more likely for him to get a little stronger and become an effective 4 off the bench.

We are going to have to disagree how much better CJ will become. I like CJ and think he can be a rotation player but I don't see him improving by leaps and bounds.

The Jazz need to upgrade the PG, SG, C position. Doing this would automatically improve their bench because some guys who start now should be bench/role players. The biggest issue is having guys who can shoot consistently and make plays when needed. When a team is a championship team they need multiple guys who can make plays down the stretch. Right now who are the players the Jazz can count on to make plays in the fourth quarter consistently?

No more playing vets who are not going to be with the team in two years. It is time to develop the young guys even if it means losing for a few years. Patience, talent and hard work win championships.

We need to build around guys who have skill, bball iq, work hard, and hustle. IMO, that's Hayward and Favors only. Millsap's damn close but his height will always be a liability. Jefferson's damn close too but he's so damn dumb and imo, based on his conditioning, lazy. If he comes into camp in much better shape next year, maybe he'll have me singing a different tune. Anyway, I would keep Hayward and Favors and probably look to keep Watson (cheap and said to be a very good leader) and Elson (cheap and fits a role and sets an example) too and everyone else is on the table. I wouldn't likely trade Jefferson and Millsap though unless I was wowed.

Before the Jazz can start trying to find answers to roster questions, Ty Corbin needs to figure out what kind of offense and defense he is going to run.

If they run a '87 Jazz offense where everyone clears out and lets Big AL, Milsap or Favour go to work in the post, then the jazz need a sf, pg and pf/c that can stand out and hit threes. And a pg who can feed the post along with Hayward.

If the jazz run a '08 flex offene they need to say good-bye to Big Al, and Raja immediately. CJ should be the 9th man.

IMO Al is too slow to play power forward. He makes a more effective center most of the time.

Al can get down to 260 and gain a little quickness, he purposely gained weight this year. You would see his scoring efficiency improve against players since he would now have the size advantage. Al is also not a good help defender, which is the first check box you want for an NBA center.

Before the Jazz can start trying to find answers to roster questions, Ty Corbin needs to figure out what kind of offense and defense he is going to run.

If they run a '87 Jazz offense where everyone clears out and lets Big AL, Milsap or Favour go to work in the post, then the jazz need a sf, pg and pf/c that can stand out and hit threes. And a pg who can feed the post along with Hayward.

If the jazz run a '08 flex offene they need to say good-bye to Big Al, and Raja immediately. CJ should be the 9th man.

repped!

I actually really like these abstract evaluations of the team, but, despite my bitching in the game chats, I can't seem to convince people that Al's offensive game stands directly in the way of Favors's development. This quote from Mellow implies the same point.

I would trade Al for the right package (something like an up-and-coming shooter and a backup C), but I wouldn't eagerly shop him around for the sake of it. But, if he is on this team and Favors looks ready to take over, I'd hope that Al had developed his passing skills and would be willing to come off the bench to run the '87 offense and kick some ***. (You know, "the bench", that place that everybody has already assigned to Millsap).

Millsap is my guy. The guy is clutch, has heart, needs to make his defense as crafty as his offense and be able to play 6-8 minutes a night at the SF. If he can do this, he still starts at PF on my team. Paul will continue to get better, IMO.

As for CJ: the dude is coming back whether you like it or not. We have such a dearth of serviceable players at his position that I'd be shocked if he didn't have a considerable role on this team next year. This might also mean that he'll get an extension and we can continue complaining about him for a handful more years.

I do think that CJ has learned a few valuable things this year, and will be a better player on the team next year. I think we'll discover that Corbin's style will benefit CJ, and as long as he is more focused about taking the ball to the rim, then I expect his scoring and assist averages to rise slightly next year. 14-15ppg and 4apg, approx.

You gotta be happy with Hayward's progression. Once he learns to finish at the rim and stops being treated like a rookie bitch by the officials, then he is going to be a great player. I'm not putting an implicit 'glass ceiling' on the kid right now like a few of the posters before me; I see no reason to say that he can't be an all-star one day. I wouldn't be surprised by a big rise from him next year. 12 ppg, 4-5apg, 4rpg, approx. Seriously.

The PG spot definitely needs to be addressed. I'm trying to get myself excited about this second lottery pick by telling myself that the Jazz will get Walker. A sort of "speed killz" PG would be good to pair with Hayward. I hope we can bring back Watson. I hope that Harris comes to camp focused and in shape, and that we can move him to a competitor at the deadline when Walker is ready to take more minutes (that is, unless we are somehow killin' it).

The other draft pick, as we all know, needs to go to a swingman with big time potential. I think Derrick Williams will be able to play the 3, and I really like his game. He could help us right away. I think Barnes is going to take a couple of years, but I love the way he is able to create space and handle the ball. Either of these guys would be absolutely stellar. Getting lucky in the lottery hasn't been this important since the early 80s. We need it, or our rebuilding process will take another year or two.

Regardless of the system they adopt, the Jazz absolutely need a center who is willing and able to play in the lane as a pivot. Jefferson plays outside the lane on both sides of the court, as does Millsap, which leaves the basket completely open for opposing teams to attack the boards.

The Jazz actually miss Okur's big body inside on defense, as well as his ability to rebound, despite the fact that he's not a great defender. Maybe Favors will grow into that role and patrol the paint. To be honest, Favors would do well to pattern his game after Tim Duncan, who is very similar physically, although less explosive. If Favors is going to be a PF instead of a C, then I think the Jazz will take a hard look at Enes Kanter in this draft as someone who is willing to play physical in the paint and bring in double-digit boards every night. Duncan extended his career by insisting that he was a PF rather than C. Jefferson/Favors/Kanter would be a very solid front-court rotation.

If the Jazz are keeping Devin Harris, they should bring in another guard who can share the responsibility to move the ball. Letting Harris spend some time off the ball will help him open up his offensive potential as a slasher and dish-off player. That's why I think Brandon Knight might be a good fit at SG.

Still, the Jazz need a go-to scorer besides Jefferson, someone who is an emotional leader and fierce competitor at both ends. That's why I think Derrick Williams could be great here as a Ron Artest/Carmello Anthony/Paul Pierce power-3.

This conjured the image of Mark Eaton stooping out at the 3-pt. line with his hands on his waste. I don't think this would work anymore now that teams are allowed to play zone.

as to the evolution of the team, it could use a Joakim Noah type at center

It's interesting to imagine how the seasons of the Bulls and Jazz might be different if a healthy Mehmet Okur had been on the Bulls, and a healthy Joakim Noah had been on the Jazz...

From what I've seen, Jefferson seems a bit slow for the PF position, whereas Favors has excellent mobility.
As for Jefferson holding up Favors' development, I expect the Jazz are just desperate to find SOMEONE, ANYONE, who can just SCORE. I think the Jazz, i.e. Corbin, realizes Jefferson is the most reliable answer we got right now. In mid-season and beyond it's very difficult to change playing styles.
I would say going forward into the coming years the Jazz need to develop BOTH Jefferson and Favors games to co-exist on the same court. BOTH are young and willing workers, so I don't see a problem there. This year we are scrambling to even be competetive in games...
And I agree; Millsap needs to get a lot "craftier" defensively to stay competetive with the bigger PF's he sees most nights...