What's new

Jazz Pre-Draft Camps and Workouts

Jazz appear to be handling the Ed Davis workout differntly . The other workouts were announced earlier, had more players and had more information on the jazz website. Is Ed Davis just an after thought, and the Jazz just making sure on him? Or is he thier target and they are trying to keep it low key?

Jazz have worked out everyone in their draft range except Davis. I'm glad they're covering all of their bases.

I don't understand why Davis is any more highly regarded than Larry Sanders at this stage. They're both lanky, defensive 4s. One is a year older and was very efficient in the post that's significantly taller and longer, one just barely got significant playing time for half a season at a higher level of competition and is more athletic. All in all, they look like a wash to me. I've never understood the hype juggernaut that is/was Ed Davis.

I don't understand why Davis is any more highly regarded than Larry Sanders at this stage. They're both lanky, defensive 4s. One is a year older and was very efficient in the post that's significantly taller and longer, one just barely got significant playing time for half a season at a higher level of competition and is more athletic. All in all, they look like a wash to me. I've never understood the hype juggernaut that is/was Ed Davis.

I like Sanders as well, he isn't quite as athletic as Davis but makes up for it in length. In my eyes the perfect draft is getting Babbitt at 9 and trading the memphis pick for a late teen (16-20) pick for Sanders, Orton, or Whiteside, whoever is on the board in that order.

Siler tweets:
# Not sure if either will be around at No. 9, but I don't think Monroe or Davis will fall past the Jazz if available. about 1 hour ago via web

# More O'Connor on Davis: “Obviously, it’s a no brainer that he’s one of the guys we would consider.” about 1 hour ago via web

# Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor said of Ed Davis' shooting: "We were very pleasantly surprised with that.” about 1 hour ago via web

# Ed Davis won two state titles in high school, played on North Carolina NCAA championship team and has goal of winning at every level. about 1 hour ago via web

# Terry Davis ranks 12th on the list of players who appeared in most regular-season games (480) without single playoff appearance. about 1 hour ago via web

# Davis' father, Terry, enjoyed 10-year NBA career with Miami, Washington, Dallas and Denver but never played for a playoff team. about 1 hour ago via web

# He has the same agent (Rob Pelinka) as Carlos Boozer, but Davis said he had no inside info on whether Boozer was planning to leave Jazz. about 1 hour ago via web

# Davis said he still has workouts left with Indiana and Detroit in the final week before the draft. about 1 hour ago via web

# Ed Davis said his workout with the Jazz went well, he shot the ball with confidence and he's had no problems with his formerly injured wrist

Great KOC interview on utahjazz.com

intresting notes: Davis came in late because of the injured wrist. Because he was mostly an inside player at UNC, the Jazz wanted to see him shoot the ball, which he did very well. Jazz did not interview Davis in chicago, they will interview him today.

Asked if this was a draft full of bigs, KOC said yes but we also worked out alot of wings like Babbit and .....Hayward and Aminu. (it took him a few moments to come up with another name and he never mentioned Henrey.)

There is also a link to the Ed Davis interview on the page but I can't get it to open.

40 wins? lol
Not even close.
It may not be enough to win the West, but that's a more balanced line up that we had last year. Wes > Brewer, Cole > Memo on defense.
"CJ is one of the worse starting wings in the league." He improved last year. If you can't see that then that's your problem.
"Aldrich is a smaller, poor mans Pryzbilla." Yawn.
Most people at least compare him to Pryz. He'll offer better defense than Memo, and would make our interior tougher.
Babbitt can guard who again? 4's will eat him alive.

Keep sweating Babbitt's test scores, and ignore the game film or draft sites who based their reports on actual game play.

Are you a complete moran? Babbitt's stats are very, very similar to Wesley Johnson's. That's not "tests scores." Those are the results of his "game play." And Babbitt's measurements are just as good if not better than Johnson's. AND YOU'RE THE ONLY HUMAN BEING ALIVE PROJECTING HIM TO BE A 4. Get a clue.

Damn it. I really, really hope the Jazz move up. If they draft Davis or Monroe with the 9 I'm going to puke my pants. I've dogged Monroe plenty here but he's twice the prospect (or more) than Davis is.

Damn it. I really, really hope the Jazz move up. If they draft Davis or Monroe with the 9 I'm going to puke my pants. I've dogged Monroe plenty here but he's twice the prospect (or more) than Davis is.

AGREED! I don't like Monroe either. And Davis is even worse. If we draft a big guy they need to have Center length at the PF position. In terms of wing span. Sanders is too skinny though. He length is good though. We need to think championship and I am tired of all of these undersized PF's. Don't draft them. Boozer and Millsap are probably the best 2 undersized PF's and look where it has gotten us against the elite teams in the playoffs? i am sorry but if a guy is 6-8 or 6-9. Dont draft him! unless his wingspan is 7-5 or something. We should be building a championship team. NOT regular season team.

Looks like the jazz are starting thier summer leauge tryouts tommorow. Saturday's workout will be 10 players in two sessions. Jared Quayle is returning for a second look, Paul George, Elijah Milsap, Dominique Jones, Marquis Gilstrap, Jeremy Evans, some French Guy & some others.

Looks like the jazz are starting thier summer leauge tryouts tommorow. Saturday's workout will be 10 players in two sessions. Jared Quayle is returning for a second look, Paul George, Elijah Milsap, Dominique Jones, Marquis Gilstrap, Jeremy Evans, some French Guy & some others.

They do have the 55 pick, you know.

I am not a big fan of Monroe or Davis. Granted I only saw each player play a handful of times but what I saw didn't excite me. Both of these guys are very stiff, mechanical while having very obvious holes in their game. I would rather the Jazz trade down and pick the best SF and then pick a center later in the first round than have Monroe or Davis. I could be wrong but I think both of these guys are going to solid average pros.

Lil' Millsap wouldn't be a bad 2nd round pick IMO. He appear to possess the same toughness his brother does, is a tremendous rebounder for a wing, and seems like he could have a Wesley Matthews type impact (probably not as big of one, but you know what I mean) on a team full of other good players like the Jazz. I'm not sure how good of a shooter he is though...does he have NBA 3 point range? Probably not right now, but can he develop it? Can he knock down open 20 foot jumpers like Brew used to get all the time?

Then again, it would probably be likely that Lil' Sap would accept an invite to Jazz camp if he goes undrafted, which is probable.