What's new

Jazz select Jared Butler - Draft Grades 2021

gandalfe

40. Utah Jazz (from New Orleans): PG Jared Butler, Baylor

Getting red-flagged medically at the NBA draft combine may have torpedoed Butler's stock (even though he was cleared earlier this month), but he is a top-20 prospect on my board and one of the most NBA-ready guards in this draft. Getting him at No. 40 for a contending Jazz team -- who got the pick in a draft-night trade -- is robbery. Grade: A+

From ESPN's draft recap:
Which second-round pick will most likely be an All-Star first?
Medcalf: The Milwaukee Bucks just won the NBA title with Jrue Holiday, a 6-foot-3 defensive tyrant who made 39 percent of his 3-pointers this season. Jared Butler, a 6-foot-3 guard who will turn 21 next month, led Baylor to a national title last season after making 42 percent of his 3-pointers. If he can develop into a more consistent defender -- Baylor's opponents committed turnovers on one-fourth of their possessions with Butler on the floor -- and maintain his shooting stroke, he can become a high-level NBA player.

And from Bleacher Report:
40. Utah Jazz (via Grizzlies): Jared Butler, PG/SG, Baylor — A
Jared Butler Could Be Steal of the Night
If Butler is healthy—he was referred to (and later cleared by) a Fitness-to-Play Panel in the predraft process—the Jazz just collected the night’s biggest steal.
He is rotation-ready right now and will be an effortless fit in Utah. He adds value on or off the ball, scores from the perimeter to the paint and really competes on defense.
He could spend a decade-plus in the league and a lot of that time in someone’s starting lineup. That’s tremendous value at pick No. 40

And it sounds like Chad Ford is one of us.
From his draft winners:

Utah Jazz​

I cringed when the Jazz traded the 30th pick in the draft to Memphis with Baylor’s Jared Butler sitting there. Butler, on pure talent, is a top-20 prospect and the perfect fit backing up Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell.

The Jazz got three future second rounders in the deal, including the 40th pick -- and somehow, inexplicably, Butler was still on the board.

I assume he slid because of medical concerns, but the Jazz are comfortable with the information the NBA has provided. In fact, I think they expect him to come in and contribute next year.

Maybe Butler can't play 3 years from now, but at 40s it's extremely low cost. There are some guys we might be sad about passing on, but if people hindsight bitch about this trade I'm going to be very annoyed

Maybe Butler can't play 3 years from now, but at 40s it's extremely low cost. There are some guys we might be sad about passing on, but if people hindsight bitch about this trade I'm going to be very annoyed

Any contribution you can ever get from a 2nd is gravy.

I'm not sure outside of a big trade that we couldn't do, how we could've gotten a better prospect at 30 especially at 40.

Crazy that the Jazz got a win now player with starting potential at 40. And he's not super old either. I don't think he's even turned 21 get.
Much younger than his backcourt mate… he’s better too imo… they just ****ing dominated college basketball. If he’s healthy he’s a rotation player for sure. People don’t even know the off court stuff yet either… he has charisma dripping off his balls. He’s a leader. I haven’t felt this good about a pick since Donovan.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that his condition is degenerative in any sense, or that he has a shorter shelf life?

I saw this and didn't know where to put it, I don't remember ever seeing what his specific heart condition was:

Does anybody know anything about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

I saw this and didn't know where to put it, I don't remember ever seeing what his specific heart condition was:

Does anybody know anything about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

Had been known before college. Can be on some antihypertensives that can help with remodeling over time. Wherever he’s at with it, he was cleared for college play.

So have there been any other pro athletes with this condition and what kind of careers
have they had?