What's new

Jazz sign center Vernon Carey Jr.

I like Vernon Carey. He's a nice player. He just lacks a bit of length for a 5 and has lacked some speed for a 4. He can score in the post though, and he's got a nice jumper.

This has the homey stamp of approval. Five star recruit, McDonald's all american, went to Dook, high 2nd round pick in 2020, decent outside shot and teamed up with Dunn in the GLeague. He was drafted right after Bolmaro and Dok but just before Saben Lee and Elijah Hughes.

well this is different, the team is signing camp invitees in the sunset of the previous season. i know that during the summer you can't take any signings that aren't guaranteed seriously, i guess this one will be similar.

well this is different, the team is signing camp invitees in the sunset of the previous season. i know that during the summer you can't take any signings that aren't guaranteed seriously, i guess this one will be similar.
Yeah, I guess they are just getting ahead of it now so they can focus on the draft from here on out?

I'm thinking Ainge and company have something up their sleeves for next season. That regtag bunch they had out there today was competitive. Juzang is garbage right now. Potter was on his way to the waiver wire and answers with a double double. Carey played with Dunn in the GLeague so there is that connection. Even poor old Dok looked like an NBA player the last few games. Luka puts up 23. Nobody that played today was in the rotation in January.

THT has a high negative offensive rating compared to the average rating per shot. If I didn't think he could improve to be more elegant on offense, the cynical me would look to trade him in a sign and trade or more realistically let him go where another team would overpay him.

I guess at 9 it is Anthony Black or Grady Dick. Black smells like a lot of investment is needed to make it work in the NBA. A player has to be become more refined offensively at the NBA level regardless of the skill or position. For Black, sometimes it is a sign for a player that if you are so good in so many different areas but shooting that you have a major flaw there - so maybe he happens to get better or maybe not...

so I have never heard of a player signed to play 1 ****ing game well not the last ****ing game of the season lol
this guy is NOT going to be here past summer league as I assume the deal in non guaranteed.

I guess at 9 it is Anthony Black or Grady Dick. Black smells like a lot of investment is needed to make it work in the NBA. A player has to be become more refined offensively at the NBA level regardless of the skill or position. For Black, sometimes it is a sign for a player that if you are so good in so many different areas but shooting that you have a major flaw there - so maybe he happens to get better or maybe not...
we literally have no interest in anthony black in the lottery. If there post lottery maybe

THT has a high negative offensive rating compared to the average rating per shot. If I didn't think he could improve to be more elegant on offense, the cynical me would look to trade him in a sign and trade or more realistically let him go where another team would overpay him.
if opts out he is not getting what he wants here. he will opt in and stay maybe getting shopped at the deadline, or he will opt out with a s/t on the table.
I honestly don't think he is worth more than he makes currently around the league, but he may have done enough to at least get the same amount from somebody, just not us.

Yuck. Black is not a point guard at the next level and just say no to dick

They say that some end of the roster signings might be a favor to the player's agent in hopes of a little back scratching later. So who else does Carey's agent represent?

Oh, just two other current NBA players.

Jonathan Isaac
Jason Tatum

Nah, couldn't be ...

Last edited:
More seriously, I'm wondering what the Jazz see in Carey.

He still has the issue of being primarily an inside-scoring, offense-first center. I guess his 3% is up this year and looks to have slimmed down significantly, so I guess I'll be interested to see if he's made significant improvement since Duke.