What's new

Jazz sign UFA Derrick Alston from Boise St.

Well, we're really sticking with the can't-rebound-anywhere-except-at-center theme with this signing. At least it's a lengthy wing to get a training-camp look at (though the limited-minutes summer league rebounding was OK).

NBA.com say he weighed 148 lbs when he entered as a freshman. Now up to 190 on high 6-9 frame.

Thank goodness for some jazz news. This guy probably isn't it, but I like the idea of bringing in as many long athletic guys as possible. Maybe he'll add 15lbs of muscle before training camp.

He's from my neck of the woods. His dad was an NBA player and a current GLeague head coach. He IMHOcompletely disappeared playing against Houston this year and disappeared late in the season when Boise State folded like a cheap suit. You can check his Summer League stats and they are underwhelming. I guess he will be a Stars player. He was a walk on to start college. IMHO Sam Merrill is a much better player.

For the Warriors Summer League team Alston averaged 5.8 ppg for 15.9 minutes played shooting 39% from the field 33.3% from 3 and 50% FT with 4 rebounds and 0.5 blocks.

He's from my neck of the woods. His dad was an NBA player and a current GLeague head coach. He IMHOcompletely disappeared playing against Houston this year and disappeared late in the season when Boise State folded like a cheap suit. You can check his Summer League stats and they are underwhelming. I guess he will be a Stars player. He was a walk on to start college. IMHO Sam Merrill is a much better player.
That explains why I could have sworn there already was (or had been recently) a Rafer Alston in the league.

85% ft shooter!!
There were three Boise State players ahead of him Chandler Hutchison, James Webb III and Anthony Drmic that are better than Alston. Hutchison was on the waiver wire and signed a two way with the Suns, Webb is playing in Europe after a cup of coffee with the Nets, Sixers and TWolves and Drmic is playing for a team down under that played the Jazz is preseason.