What's new

Jazz spin on league news items

Kenwood

A couple of league-wide news items caught my eye today:

--Salary cap expected to rise $5 million. Jazz only have 6 players and $27 million committed, so they could have be much as $36 million under the cap. Of course cap holds will cut into that number, but it's still a lot of room to work with. Could be interesting.*

--Silver really pushing for new age limit in NBA, possibly as soon as 2016 draft. This could make the 2016 draft a little light, so I'm glad the Jazz own the Warriors 2017 pick, not 2016. On the other hand if it happens one year later, it weakens 2017. Something to watch.

*As long as they don't trade cap space for the likes of Biedrins, Rush and Jefferson again this year.

I also feel that the Jazz will have some room to sign a good bench. Our core with a good draft and some solid FAs and the Jazz are looking at 40 wins next year.

Can someone explain to me what a "cap hold" is exactly?
Broncster already covered this, but here are some more specifics. Until they renounce rights or the players sign elsewhere, they count as cap holds at these amounts:
Jefferson $16.569 million
Williams $11.25 million
Hayward $8.630 million
Rush $7.6 million

So when do they renounce each guy? Only when they have to. If the Jazz are set to sign a free agent and need the space, they renounce the rights and clear the cap hold. Otherwise, they hang on to them just in case a sign-and-trade comes up and one of those players could be a piece in a deal. Unlikely, but it doesn't hurt.

Hayward's hold is no big deal and I'm expecting the cap increase to make it more likely that Gordon comes back. . . especially after they hire a coach that will make basketball fun in Utah again.

Looking at the numbers, I really hope that they A.) renounce the rights to Jefferson, Williams, Rush and (cut) JLIII before they B.) try to make another cash dump and pick up another unprotected future 1st round pick. I think the Jazz are still at least another year before being ready to make a run at the playoffs. They should save their cap space to aggressively go after a free agent in 2015 and/or buy a good bench then.

Broncster already covered this, but here are some more specifics. Until they renounce rights or the players sign elsewhere, they count as cap holds at these amounts:
Jefferson $16.569 million
Williams $11.25 million
Hayward $8.630 million
Rush $7.6 million

So when do they renounce each guy? Only when they have to. If the Jazz are set to sign a free agent and need the space, they renounce the rights and clear the cap hold. Otherwise, they hang on to them just in case a sign-and-trade comes up and one of those players could be a piece in a deal. Unlikely, but it doesn't hurt.

I know GVC had a much higher cap hold for Hayward; you and he are generally the authorities on such matters. In any case, Jazz have a MAX slot open, even after cap holds. I may be wrong, but with cap holds for Hayward, the draft picks, etc., I came up with about $25M in true cap space, once RJ, Biedrins and Rush are renounced. There are also players with non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts (Lucas III, Garrett and Clark). Keep those three, add all the draft picks + Neto, re-sign Hayward and Williams and the Jazz would be at 15 players. Obviously that scenario won't play out exactly that way. I expect Clark and Lucas III won't be around. One spot may come down to Thomas vs. Murphy. And I doubt all three picks will be on the roster (either trades or another international "draft and stash").

I know GVC had a much higher cap hold for Hayward; you and he are generally the authorities on such matters. In any case, Jazz have a MAX slot open, even after cap holds. I may be wrong, but with cap holds for Hayward, the draft picks, etc., I came up with about $25M in true cap space, once RJ, Biedrins and Rush are renounced. There are also players with non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts (Lucas III, Garrett and Clark). Keep those three, add all the draft picks + Neto, re-sign Hayward and Williams and the Jazz would be at 15 players. Obviously that scenario won't play out exactly that way. I expect Clark and Lucas III won't be around. One spot may come down to Thomas vs. Murphy. And I doubt all three picks will be on the roster (either trades or another international "draft and stash").
The Hayward cap hold is from Sham Sports, not my own number, but now that I look I think it's right. According to Larry Coon (at https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38) Hayward's cap hold should be 250% of his previous salary, or $8.630 million.

My version of the above goes like this:
Guaranteed contracts - 6 players (Favors, Kanter, Burks, Burke, Evans, Gobert), $27 million
Hayward's cap hold - $8.630 million
Draft picks (assuming #4 and #23 for now) - $4.4 million

That makes 9 players (or holds), $40.06 million in cap space, leaving $23.5 million. To do that they have to waive or renounce all of the following:
Non guaranteed contracts - 5 players (Lucas, Thomas, Garrett, Clark, Murphy), $5.1 million
Free agents - 3 players (Jefferson, Williams, Rush), cap holds as above
Biedrins is already renounced because the Jazz waived him

More than likely the Jazz keep a few of those guys.

While this year's FA crop isn't that exciting, next year the Jazz will have less cap space if they extend Kanter and Burks this summer. Right now they are only counting $8.7 million, but their actual 2015-16 salaries will be higher or if they DON'T extend their combined cap holds will be nearly $22 million.