What's new

Jazz trade Fonteccio to Pistons for 2024 2nd

I watch a lot of NBA basketball, but Detroit is one of the teams I basically have not watched unless they play the Jazz. Supposedly Knox has been playing decent of late. Detroit is stilm giving up on him like every other team he has played for to date.

I have watched him play for his other teams, and there is good reason he has been moved so much. Lazy/low bbiq defender. Poor closeout defender on 3s (similar to Collins). Can hit open 3s, has good frame and is athletic.
Not a great dribbler to the left. Often has had bad body language.

He is one of those guys that has all the physical tools but never puts it together. I don't thinm Thibs is a good player development coach, and that likely hurt Knox early on. Not optimistic Hardy and his staff can do when so many other teams have been unable to do. Maybe he will surprise us all.

I really like how Simone has played this year. Sad that the reward for it is getting shipped to the armpit of Michigan.
The Utah Jazz gave Tec an NBA career., which wasn't a given after how he played last season. He will be fine.

Yeah, it's George.

And if you want to make the comparison with other players who had similar pts per 36 output, the other two of the Suns Big 3 have got you covered there. Rookie Keyonte is a more efficient scorer than Rookie Devin Booker and Rookie Bradley Beal were, while scoring roughly 1 pt more per 36 than Beal and 1 pt less per 36 than rookie Booker.

Bottom line: A rookie being an inefficient scorer is expected, even amongst those who eventually develop into stars.

Kobe

Lets take a trip back memory lane about what you said about Simone who you are now crying after.

Btw these are collected from 5 month timeframe last season simply by typing "Fontecchio" into the search and defining they are posted by you. I left out quite a lot so this wouldnt be too long:

The zero spacing + pathetic non-shooter comment was my favourite. That was from Match 7th 2023, so not an early season overreaction but after ASG.
IMG_6470.jpeg

Looking up a sample of rookie guards from the past 6 or so years whose efficiency dramatically improved after their rookie seasons:

Rookie De'Aaron Fox was insanely less efficient as a rookie than Keyonte, and scored much less per 36 as well.
Rookie Trae Young's efficiency is identical to rookie Keyonte's (albeit on much higher volume)
Rookie Anthony Edwards' efficiency was a lot worse (similar to Trae, higher volume).
Rookie LaMelo Ball's is identical.
Rookie SGA's efficiency was very meh (better than Keyonte's for sure, on lower volume), but my God has it exploded upwards since then.

None of this is meant to compare Keyonte to these players. More to underscore the point that rookies, even ones that develop into great players, rarely have good efficiency. It's certainly not a reason to be a doomer about their future.
Well done

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I woke up with a gut feeling that once we are able to officially file in the trade, there is another trade lined up where the pick gets rerouted.

Getting 2nd rounders is not DA MO, and there has been too much smoke around us to stop here. I think we either ship it with KO/JC to get the young guy we want (Springer? Grimes?), or then there is another deal where we are the buyer.
Pick has more value on draft day.

If I had to guess, they try to use Clarkson and the pick to move up on draft day.

Because you arent saying anything of substance like TU is so no one can have a strong opinion of your take either way.
I.e. overrwacting comments. It does kinda affect on the perception how you portray your thoughts and feelings. When it goes to the extreme as declaring "Lies!" to a moderate comment that tends to raise eyebrows.

I'm in the same boat as @fishonjazz.

All of you who act like the sky is falling ask yourselves these questions:
  • How many players do we have that are better than Tec? I say 6 at least.
  • How many 3&D wing defenders are there who are better than Tec? I say he is maybe fringe top 20.
Im not a fan of this trade either, but its not causing me massive FOMO. We can EASILY upgrade on his role.

Lets pass the final judgement on trading away the 7th best player in a .500 team after we see if there are other moves.
Truth be told, if this is the only move Jazz makes, then this doesn't make any sense to me. I really liked Tech and he was a part why the starting lineup became a success. I really don't like giving up guys I like. Especially, as this move seems like minor tinkering. Maybe aftet trading deadline I feel different about the whole picture but right now I feel bummed.

As good as DA's trades were to begin with, and they were outstanding, his last couple have been far less than stellar. The trade where he stabilized the Twolfs which probably made our picks from them become far less valuable in exchange for what probably will be a 2nd round LA pick was one of the worst trades I've seen in a while. So I don't have the faith that many of you show in Danny's trading prowess.
Assuming this trade means playing time for our rooks is a broad assumption, Semanic may well be our new Rudy.

He was undrafted
Yeah bad intel - he declared in 2015 apparently, worked out for Boston then rescinded his eligibility when he learned he was headed for the second round.

Considering the work involved to negotiate with Tech back itwo years ago when Portland drafted Procida, no way this was just an arbitrary throw-in and the FO is not familiar with him as a player.

I watch a lot of NBA basketball, but Detroit is one of the teams I basically have not watched unless they play the Jazz. Supposedly Knox has been playing decent of late. Detroit is stilm giving up on him like every other team he has played for to date.

I have watched him play for his other teams, and there is good reason he has been moved so much. Lazy/low bbiq defender. Poor closeout defender on 3s (similar to Collins). Can hit open 3s, has good frame and is athletic.
Not a great dribbler to the left. Often has had bad body language.

He is one of those guys that has all the physical tools but never puts it together. I don't thinm Thibs is a good player development coach, and that likely hurt Knox early on. Not optimistic Hardy and his staff can do when so many other teams have been unable to do. Maybe he will surprise us all.

I really like how Simone has played this year. Sad that the reward for it is getting shipped to the armpit of Michigan.
Psychological Scar Tissue is all it is IMO. Don’t mean to minimize it, he’s lost a bit of his bounce (confidence), but being in Utah and seeing how Lauri and John have rebounded from similar afflictions…. Then there’s Dunn who WAS pretty much till he found Utah. Course if it’s lack of effort and motivation, well that’s what the two picks (one already taken in Procida) are for. It’s not a huge risk for a role player with half a season in the starting rotation.

Psychological Scar Tissue is all it is IMO. Don’t mean to minimize it, he’s lost a bit of his bounce (confidence), but being in Utah and seeing how Lauri and John have rebounded from similar afflictions…. Then there’s Dunn who WAS pretty much till he found Utah. Course if it’s lack of effort and motivation, well that’s what the two picks (one already taken in Procida) are for. It’s not a huge risk for a role player with half a season in the starting rotation.
Agree. Knox and Kira are both players that have potential and were acquired for basically nothing (Jazz valued the picks). If either pans out it will be a bonus.

Okay so this is starting to make a lot more sense from a Detroit Perspective as they deal Bogy and Burks to New York for Grimes and Fournier.
Looks like maybe no takers on Clarkson.

Okay so this is starting to make a lot more sense from a Detroit Perspective as they deal Bogy and Burks to New York for Grimes and Fournier.
Looks like maybe no takers on Clarkson.
I know some fans look at Troy Weaver as a punching bag but adding Simone and Grimes makes Detroit a better team.

Can understand why teams took a pass on Clarkson. He gets alot of leash here in Utah but has been playing really poorly relative to the $23 mil he's making this season.

Can understand why teams took a pass on Clarkson. He gets alot of leash here in Utah but has been playing really poorly relative to the $23 mil he's making this season.

It feels like we heard a lot of BS along the lines of "Clarkson has a healthy market... a lot of interest... his declining contract is really desirable for teams". Sone of it coming from all kinds of "experts" who get paid to think about and write about NBA basketball.

Of course, some of us knew that if JC had zero market last season after playing well, he's certainly going to have zero market after playing like crap.

There's absolutely no point for him to be on this team any longer, let alone play.

I know some fans look at Troy Weaver as a punching bag but adding Simone and Grimes makes Detroit a better team.

Full agreement. My post was meant as a Fontechio as a Bogey replacement scheme- which makes a lot of sense in my book. His 40% three, his ability to make reads, drive and score at the rim and his defense usurps either Bogey or Burks in my mind.

Looking up a sample of rookie guards from the past 6 or so years whose efficiency dramatically improved after their rookie seasons:

Rookie De'Aaron Fox was insanely less efficient as a rookie than Keyonte, and scored much less per 36 as well.
Rookie Trae Young's efficiency is identical to rookie Keyonte's (albeit on much higher volume)
Rookie Anthony Edwards' efficiency was a lot worse (similar to Trae, higher volume).
Rookie LaMelo Ball's is identical.
Rookie SGA's efficiency was very meh (better than Keyonte's for sure, on lower volume), but my God has it exploded upwards since then.

None of this is meant to compare Keyonte to these players. More to underscore the point that rookies, even ones that develop into great players, rarely have good efficiency. It's certainly not a reason to be a doomer about their future.
You are indeed comparing Keyonte to these players. You are not equating Keyonte with them. There's a difference. Ticky tacky on my part to be the language police, just one of those moods.