What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Lol this cracks me up every time I see this. We got off Gay’s contract. Let’s see Gay had 1 year and a little over 6 million left on his deal. Collins has 3 years 25 million+. So we traded 6 million for one year for 25+ million over the next three years and he seems to get worse every year. Good luck with that. Maybe he gets better but how much? That finger looks jacked all to hell.

He also has potential to be much worse he put up 20 and 10 three years ago and has steadily declined since. He was a 13 and 6 guy last year making 25 million. I’m not sold he’s going to help this team and he probably won’t until the 3 years is up when we can unload that albatross of a contract. He’s not exactly a winning player to boot. I hope I’m wrong, and will happily eat my crow if wrong. But this deal is a huge risk and I’m nervous as hell it’s going to bite us in the ***.

My brotha, playing in ATL was a very toxic environment. Look at the scenery change once Dejounte got there, mid-season trades Nate McMillan fired. It was a get in how you fit in environment and I can see why his production dropped. I'm sure he will have a ton of free reign here and will beva center of the offense, and Will Hardy will play to his strengths. I ain't got no worries!

Sounds good
But Jazz may have to give up a lot of draft picks also
Would anyone be willing to do that
Of course. It's a given that we would have to give up like 5 or so picks for Luka for example

but he doesn't mind unearned minutes from veterans who only saw the floor because they were veterans.
Exactly.
I think the best way to dole out playing time is to just play the guys who produce the best on the court. Don't even have how many years they have been in the league as part of the equation.
It was clear to me (and MT Steve) that Kessler should have been playing more early on since he was the best player at the positioo

He also has potential to be much worse he put up 20 and 10 three years ago and has steadily declined since.
Not directed at you Thee but lots of people have said he has declined, like it had something to do with his skills declining. Lauri was also declining when we got him.

Collins was working that whole time with possibly the worst offensive mind at HC in Nate McMillan. Everyone knew he was misutilized big time, but since Nate wanted to run guard heavy offense JC was relegated to cold hands catch and shoot only.

Bear in mind he shot 80.3% FT last year with that finger (2nd best mark of career) and right after Snyder came in to replace McMillan he also raised his 3P% back to the 37-40% range.

Collins has never really impressed me much but we're getting him for free so why not. I hope he will improve. Does anyone know what is exactly the problem with his finger? I saw that photo someone posted here but is it really a permanent thing? It seems weird that someone would leave something like that untreated. Or maybe it's just that the picture makes it look worse than it really is?

Not directed at you Thee but lots of people have said he has declined, like it had something to do with his skills declining. Lauri was also declining when we got him.

Collins was working that whole time with possibly the worst offensive mind at HC in Nate McMillan. Everyone knew he was misutilized big time, but since Nate wanted to run guard heavy offense JC was relegated to cold hands catch and shoot only.

Bear in mind he shot 80.3% FT last year with that finger (2nd best mark of career) and right after Snyder came in to replace McMillan he also raised his 3P% back to the 37-40% range.
there is some decline based on shooting and how he was used... but something happened along the way that is ignored. Back when JC was a 20/10 guy he was a terrible defender... like not quite Kanter bad but real bad. He is not a panacea on that end now but he is a pretty good defender and has a little versatility. So..... if you can reclaim some of his offensive glory with better shooting and more team oriented basketball... then you may have a glow up.

I don't know if we will ever have the type of glow up we had with Lauri... I wouldn't chase something of that magnitude.

Collins has never really impressed me much but we're getting him for free so why not. I hope he will improve. Does anyone know what is exactly the problem with his finger? I saw that photo someone posted here but is it really a permanent thing? It seems weird that someone would leave something like that untreated. Or maybe it's just that the picture makes it look worse than it really is?
I'm hoping he is at summer league and I will spy it out for yall. It may not be something that is correctable... but I think either way you can expect improvement... like he will adjust to having a wonky *** balloon finger at some point.... right?

there is some decline based on shooting and how he was used... but something happened along the way that is ignored. Back when JC was a 20/10 guy he was a terrible defender... like not quite Kanter bad but real bad. He is not a panacea on that end now but he is a pretty good defender and has a little versatility. So..... if you can reclaim some of his offensive glory with better shooting and more team oriented basketball... then you may have a glow up.

I don't know if we will ever have the type of glow up we had with Lauri... I wouldn't chase something of that magnitude.
Yeah he likely wont explode but I think Hardys system will bring out the best of him. He will get so much more separation on his shots here than he did in Atlanta that simply the quality of looks should boost his numbers.

We saw that with a lot of guys last year, who shot (near) career high FG% or 3P%.

I think the jazz have completed 6 trades since the start of the 22 offseason. Anyone know the record for most trades in 1 calendar year?
It's actually 7 trades since the end of the 2021-22 season:
  1. June 30, 2022: Brooklyn - Royce
  2. July 6, 2022: Minnesota - Gobert
  3. August 25, 2022: Lakers - PatBev
  4. September 3, 2022: Cleveland - Donovan
  5. September 22, 2022: Detroit - Bogdanovic
  6. February 9, 2023: Minnesota & Lakers - Conley et al.
  7. Pending: Atlanta - Rudy Gay

Yeah he likely wont explode but I think Hardys system will bring out the best of him. He will get so much more separation on his shots here than he did in Atlanta that simply the quality of looks should boost his numbers.

We saw that with a lot of guys last year, who shot (near) career high FG% or 3P%.
Damion Jones will gift him his ability to shoot 85% from the corner and we will have an all-star.

It's actually 7 trades since the end of the 2021-22 season:
  1. June 30, 2022: Brooklyn - Royce
  2. July 6, 2022: Minnesota - Gobert
  3. August 25, 2022: Lakers - PatBev
  4. September 3, 2022: Cleveland - Donovan
  5. September 22, 2022: Detroit - Bogdanovic
  6. February 9, 2023: Minnesota & Lakers - Conley et al.
  7. Pending: Atlanta - Rudy Gay
I think Gay would be counted as next season. Regardless, unless some team made more after 2016, the Jazz own the record because of this season. That said, I'm not 100% there.