What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Hoping a change of scenery can help Collins regain some pizzazz.

And kind of hoping we keep Olynyk. I’ve grown to really like him. Surprisingly solid player, great locker room dude, willing passer. Offense always seems to run better when he’s on the floor. He’s a glue guy and he makes his team mates better.

I like this. The frontcourt rotations will be so big. I also think if this staff got out good things from g-leaguers last season... The value of Collins will be rehabbed at least for some. Then we either have him long term or sell for the biggest bid.

B+ for Jazz and B- for Hawks

B seems about right to me.

On the positive we got a young forward that potentially fits well with our other front court players. There is reason to believe his shooting is coming around and that he can play better than he has with a change of scenery.

On the negative he hasn't played up to his contract for the past year and a half and has declining counting stats over the past 3 years. If his shooting doesn't come around it will be difficult to play him with our non shooting center, and his finger is so messed up it's reasonable to question if he can get back to shooting well.

On one hand the Jazz need more good players, and they might have added a really good one. On the other hand the Jazz have been really successful at avoiding bad contracts, and this could turn in to a fairly negative one.

For anyone interested-- Some advanced stats show that John Collins, contributes to winning in ways beyond his shooting numbers that were down last year. Last year his Win Share per minute numbers were FAR higher than Kyle Kuzma (for comparison). His offensive rating and defensive rating numbers were also better. That was during his career worst year while adjusting his shooting to an injured finger. Those stats and his PER were very similar to Olynyk last year. If he can get back to his career average numbers he will have a contract that could be easily traded- with some asset coming back our way.

All joking aside I think Sexton fits the team really well and should probably stay. I just don't know what's happening with the whole Clarkson thing. If we keep him I don't really like having Sexton and I don't like losing Clarkson if we can keep him at a god price.

I agree with all this. It sounds like Sexton is doing all the right things this summer and I would love to see him get a chance to thrive in a situation that might be a really good fit for him.

I think Clarkson has a ton of value as a tough shot taker/maker. It's just getting harder to see how he fits in with what we are trying to do.

I agree with all this. It sounds like Sexton is doing all the right things this summer and I would love to see him get a chance to thrive in a situation that might be a really good fit for him.

I think Clarkson has a ton of value as a tough shot taker/maker. It's just getting harder to see how he fits in with what we are trying to do.
I think Clarkson fits great. I mean he had a career year last year. He works with Hardy. Him and Sexton together is just too redundant and brings negative benefits

Collins - ($25.3 million) and Sexton - ($17.3 million) add up to $42.6 million. Enough for the Jazz to chase any star that comes available at the deadline pretty easily.
Been wondering about this for a few hours now. It’s possible that if the jazz were planning on having him for their future plans they IMO could’ve easily done this before the draft so they don’t double dilated pf by drafting Hendricks. If the jazz are looking to trade for a star a great first step would be to get someone like JC at no cost almost to help swing something.

So did Gay agree to not opt out, because if I’m understanding correctly this trade would fall through if he opts out if he knows he’s rejoining Quin, what’s stopping him from just opting out?
The trade does not fall through if he opts out… we do the trade without Rudy and Atlanta thanks the lord they don’t have to pay him. He gets his money and he will likely be bought out.