What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

I view this as a FA signing since all we gave up were Rudy and a 2nd rounder.

I personally wouldn't want to persue Collins in FA, as I don't think he's a great fit and reduced Hendrick's PT ... Would've rather that $$ go toward a guard. Oh well. Hopefully his finger is all right and I end up eating crow.

Collins - ($25.3 million) and Sexton - ($17.3 million) add up to $42.6 million. Enough for the Jazz to chase any star that comes available at the deadline pretty easily.

One of the most astute posts on this board in a long time.

We're going big game hunting over these next few seasons. Rehabbing the general on-court value of these guys at the same time would be icing on the cake.

Kinda sounds like that’s what the dude on the video said. @Handlogten's Heros
I don’t really care what they said… I’m smarter than them. He may have done it early but whether he did it or not doesn’t change the deal. If he declines his options everyone says a few Hail Marys then does the deal still.

Collins - ($25.3 million) and Sexton - ($17.3 million) add up to $42.6 million. Enough for the Jazz to chase any star that comes available at the deadline pretty easily.
Sounds good
But Jazz may have to give up a lot of draft picks also
Would anyone be willing to do that

Sounds good
But Jazz may have to give up a lot of draft picks also
Would anyone be willing to do that

To trade for a star? Absolutely. The plan all along has been to package some of the picks to trade for a star, Ryan Smith has said as much in interviews.

So did Gay agree to not opt out, because if I’m understanding correctly this trade would fall through if he opts out if he knows he’s rejoining Quin, what’s stopping him from just opting out?
$8M vs. league minimum vs. possibly out of the league is what’s stopping him.

this ones interesting

“It’s hard to find a situation for him that translates to winning basketball. It’s getting harder with his three not falling at a high clip. He’s not a rim protector and can’t do much out in space — he’s a liability on that end. With how teams are switching more and more, his ability to slip and rim run for a lob has increasingly diminished value. … I’d rather have a rim protector at the five and a wing at the four than Collins. … He’s expensive long-term, too. There’s not a lot to like.”

if Hendricks can turn into solid 3D guy JC might find himself on the trade block. those highlight dunks doesnt impress me

this ones interesting

“It’s hard to find a situation for him that translates to winning basketball. It’s getting harder with his three not falling at a high clip. He’s not a rim protector and can’t do much out in space — he’s a liability on that end. With how teams are switching more and more, his ability to slip and rim run for a lob has increasingly diminished value. … I’d rather have a rim protector at the five and a wing at the four than Collins. … He’s expensive long-term, too. There’s not a lot to like.”

if Hendricks can turn into solid 3D guy JC might find himself on the trade block. those highlight dunks doesnt impress me
Meh. I'll take DA's assessment over some random and anonymous "executive".

I’m interested in seeing

(SF) Lauri - (PF) Hendricks - (C) Kessler
(SF) Lauri - (PF) Collins - (C) Olynyk

I think both of those lineups will be great just because of the strengths of the individual players.

Like I mentioned earlier. . . Collins is our “rich man’s” version of Vando. I think Hardy will get great production out of him.

Hopefully, his shooting not only returns to form, but takes the next step forward. It’ll actually be super easy to trade him if he’s back to 20/10 and 38% from three. Definitely think there’s a chance for that with how Hardy got major improve T’s out of pretty much every player on his roster last year.

Ainge pulls off the heist of the century by getting John Collins for the shambling corpse of Rudy Gay (while getting off his contract) and a bag of potato chips and there seems to be more bitching than celebration in this thread.

A few things:

- statistically speaking, we’ll be lucky if one of the dudes we just drafted turns into a rotation-level NBA player. I understand that some are enamored with Hendricks and are worried about his development, but it’s about 50/50 whether he’s a rotation level player or out of the league in a few years. If he hits, awesome, and you figure it out later. But you don’t let wanting to develop a guy that only MAY be an NBA rotation-level player get in the way of acquiring young, proven NBA talent.
- yes, we have a ton of frontcourt depth right now and need a PG. But there’s still plenty of time for trades and also FA.

Just be happy, people.