What's new

Jazz trade Olynyk and Ochai to Toronto for Kira Lewis, Otto Porter, and a 2024 1st round pick

The Britannica Dictionary:

Lets say the something we are trying to achieve is building a contender or championship team.

Make trades with good value is not a plan, because in a lot of cases such trades would hurt your chances of building a contender simply because trades can either aim at future or present day value. If you non stop trade your best players simply because there is a good value you are never going to build a contender... but you will always have 15 1st round picks in the next 3 years...
No, making a trade with good value is an action. A plan is composed of multiple actions, aligned to each other to get a result.

You see the actions. You don't see the plan. But you also aren't a 15 mo old who sees the apple go behind the napkin and think it has vanished from the universe, Stitches. Just because you aren't privy to the details of said plan isn't an argument that it doesn't exist.

The Britannica Dictionary:

Lets say the something we are trying to achieve is building a contender or championship team.

Make trades with good value is not a plan, because in a lot of cases such trades would hurt your chances of building a contender simply because trades can either aim at future or present day value. If you non stop trade your best players simply because there is a good value you are never going to build a contender... but you will always have 15 1st round picks in the next 5 years...
I think you are reaching. The Jazz have a plan. It might not be incredibly clear to us, but it's not like they are making contradictory moves. They've done the same thing two years in a row, that seems plan like to me.

Reactions: Flc
If you didn't catch it, I said that second part flipantly, precisely because what we are doing is hardly a "plan"... it's like what every single team should be doing as a default modus operandi. And this is why I don't really mind any of those moves in a vacuum. What I mind is the lack of any discernible direction or... you know... plan.
I think the plan is to take what we had, play our best players more minutes, and incorporate our lottery pick who we hope is a big part of our future on the team and see what happens. Make adjustments in the offseason with more picks and salary room.

I think you are reaching. The Jazz have a plan. It might not be incredibly clear to us, but it's not like they are making contradictory moves. They've done the same thing two years in a row, that seems plan like to me.
I think they've done contradictory things and I think it has hurt us. Example - the John Collins move. I said it at the time too... that wasn't a good move and it was a move aimed at improving the roster in the immediate, without taking into consideration what that move will mean about the lottery pick you just made. And now we are doing the complete opposite moves - we are trading away players that help in the immediate for future value and so our lottery pick can have more of a chance to play. Except, now we are stuck with that John Collins contract. (and that's OK too... you cannot bat 100%, you will miss on some moves... BUT the reality is within months this FO has made considerable moves in completely opposite directions).

I think they've done contradictory things and I think it has hurt us. Example - the John Collins move. I said it at the time too... that wasn't a good move and it was a move aimed at improving the roster in the immediate, without taking into consideration what that move will mean about the lottery pick you just made. And now we are doing the complete opposite moves - we are trading away players that help in the immediate for future value and so our lottery pick can have more of a chance to play. Except, now we are stuck with that John Collins contract.
I’m just going to respectfully disagree on Collins. He’s been mostly good to great of late.

He has talked kindly about Utah, to the local media. Then, for example, his podcast visit with the Finnish national team captain was quite a lot more nuanced, let's say.
(Kevin Garnett being the most obvious example.)
I would've thought it's pretty clear to everyone, everywhere, on Mars, that the Celtics and the Jazz don't exist on the same planet in terms of star player interest.

This trade sucks. I'm pissed we traded Ochai.

What's funny is years ago a bunch of us wanted Porter so we got our wish. He can still shoot so that's cool.

Last edited:
SB Nation, Ricky O'Donnell:

Jazz grade: A-

Raptors grade: C

Danny Ainge can’t keep getting away with it. The Jazz executive lands another first round pick for Kelly Olynyk on an expiring deal and underwhelming former lottery pick Ochai Agbaji. Toronto must love Agbaji and/or think they can flip Olynyk later today, because otherwise this deal doesn’t make much sense for the Raptors. Toronto is sending a very late first round in this disappointing 2024 NBA Draft, and apparently they don’t value the pick. Ainge believes he’ll still be able to find a contributor in the late first. Olynyk was a nice piece for the Jazz and could help a contender, but the Raptors are tanking to try to keep a top-six protected pick they owe the Spurs. It feels like there has to be another shoe dropping for Toronto. The Jazz continue to be a well-run organization under Ainge.

I just don't get why the Jazz are trying to get worse. They already have loads of draft picks and this year's draft is not good. None of the players they are receiving are better than the ones they are giving up.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

I just don't get why the Jazz are trying to get worse. They already have loads of draft picks and this year's draft is not good. None of the players they are receiving are better than the ones they are giving up.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
We have loads of draft picks from other teams that project to be later 1sts as of now. Our own picks are by far our most valuable asset and this draft most definitely has guys in the top 10 that can help us. I've said this a million times that this draft lacks star power but it still has a ton of high level role player caliber players.

I hope Ainge's long-term vision works out because short term he just traded three guys that make this team "watchable"

I don't think I can go back to watching a bunch of guys fighting over whose turn it is to shoot.

I guess when they said Lauri was untouchable they meant by any other Jazz player on the court. Now they’re thinking about moving Dunn and JC???

We might get our pick back from okc. If we just happen to be the best of okc, Clippers, or the rockets

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

We have loads of draft picks from other teams that project to be later 1sts as of now. Our own picks are by far our most valuable asset and this draft most definitely has guys in the top 10 that can help us. I've said this a million times that this draft lacks star power but it still has a ton of high level role player caliber players.
The problem is you can't play them all.

If the Jazz should have and use all the picks next draft, they would have a 3rd year player in Kessler, three 2nd year players and three rookies. Giving them all minutes => 20-win team.

I just don't get the Ochai stuff. We seemed to really believe in him during the off season and then gave up on him after a bad month of shooting?

I'm not an Ochai homer, I just don't get the inconsistency in our thought process.
I don't think they saw enough out of him to think he'd be worth keeping around or ahead of Sensubean or any other wing.